• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IET 800303...carriages evacuated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just been moved along out of carriage C due to exhaust fumes/smell in saloon. Carriage F has same issue. Train continues in service on 1706 Paddington-Frome.

Was burning oil/hot electric smell on entering carriage at Newbury.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
The only exhaust fumes you’d get in a Mk3 would be the Clag from the powercar in the TGS or TF.. The powercar would also catch fire first haha.

whhistle

On Moderation
I wonder if the Midland Mainline bidders are watching this carefully.
Wouldn't be a wise choice to choose an 800 if they're having many problems with introduction.

big all

On Moderation
i would say now is the time to order as all the teething problems will be sorted within a year or so

mushroomchow

I wonder if the Midland Mainline bidders are watching this carefully.
Wouldn't be a wise choice to choose an 800 if they're having many problems with introduction.

With Bombadier in Derby now supposedly offering their own bi-mode IC stock with 125mph capabilities in both modes, I can see it being a no-brainer for the next MML franchisee to stick with a company whose stock they already operate in the form of the 222s.

jimm

Established Member
With Bombadier in Derby now supposedly offering their own bi-mode IC stock with 125mph capabilities in both modes, I can see it being a no-brainer for the next MML franchisee to stick with a company whose stock they already operate in the form of the 222s.

So Bombardier will suddenly conjure up a 125mph bi-mode train that works perfectly out of the box, will they?

FGW_DID

Established Member

mushroomchow

So Bombardier will suddenly conjure up a 125mph bi-mode train that works perfectly out of the box, will they?

While I wouldn't usually tend to rise to such a sarky reply, I'd note that they've already designed one, they just need orders. There are logical reasons that the franchise that literally runs through their back yard, has a track record of ordering Bombardier products and has easy access to a test track nearby in the form of Old Dalby would be the first to take the plunge.

There's the political angle too - always a lot of pressure from MPs and Councillors to keep Bombardier in business.

Not really relevant to a discussion on problems with the 800s though - I'm just saying there are plenty of other reasons that the bi-modes for the MML won't necessarily be Hitachi's IEP units.

Darandio

Established Member
And considering Bombardier have already stated they plan to offer this to upcoming franchise competitions such as East Midlands.

hwl

Established Member
While I wouldn't usually tend to rise to such a sarky reply, I'd note that they've already designed one, they just need orders. There are logical reasons that the franchise that literally runs through their back yard, has a track record of ordering Bombardier products and has easy access to a test track nearby in the form of Old Dalby would be the first to take the plunge.

There's the political angle too - always a lot of pressure from MPs and Councillors to keep Bombardier in business.

Not really relevant to a discussion on problems with the 800s though - I'm just saying there are plenty of other reasons that the bi-modes for the MML won't necessarily be Hitachi's IEP units.

Given it will use the 24m Aventra bodyshells they will have already built 950x 24m bodyshell EMU cars* by the time the fit the first engine + alternator raft underneath for a potential EM order so most of it will be a settled product design long before then.
* and 1602x of the 20m or 22m bodyshell EMU cars but that point too.

And Bombardier have already supplied AGC bimodes to SNCF.

jimm

Established Member

It's not sarcastic, it's a statement of the obvious when it comes to any new type of train. There are precious few that work out of the box, unless they are evolutions of existing proven products - and a new Bombardier express bi-mode unit fitting the British loading gauge would not come into that category.

Hitachi are still working on various teething problems with the 80xs, so please tell me why it should not be the same for a Bombardier train that has not even got off the drawing board? I am well aware they have a bi-mode design, but that's a very long way off it being an actual working train, isn't it?

It's not as if there aren't posts elsewhere on this forum questioning Bombardier's build quality over many years and the Class 345s are also suffering their fair share of issues right now, or have you missed that?

There may be politics, but there's also economics and if Hitachi can offer a leasing company a no-brainer price for an 80x variant adapted to MML conditions, then other factors are likely to go out of the window.

Hitachi also have production lines to keep running and politicians in places like the North East and in areas where suppliers to Hitachi are based are just as capable of exerting pressure as those in the East Midlands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.