• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If Class 444s can have a 25kv AC pantograph fitted, why are they not in the 3xx series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Which makes the division of the 700 series into multi-mode and pure electric redundant then, as all pure electric units delivered in the modern day are capable of having two sources of traction power - third rail and OHLE. Usually they don't come with shoegear if they don't need it, same with a pantograph, but they're still theoretically multi-mode units
Third rail DC and overhead AC are both external. There’s a good argument that dual voltage is not multi-mode. The AC traction packages work the same however power is sourced. Dual voltage EMUs were hardly ever referred to as bi-mode in the past.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
Third rail DC and overhead AC are both external. There’s a good argument that dual voltage is not multi-mode. The AC traction packages work the same however power is sourced. Dual voltage EMUs were hardly ever referred to as bi-mode in the past.
Yes, even if the unit has dual-voltage capability it's still considered a single mode. I expect that the intent of the multi-mode definition is that the unit needs at least one internal source and at least one external source - which is consistent with the 755 and 769 allocations.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Fair point, but it should be noted that the wording of the specification is "at least one is external". Two is at least one.

themiller

So, when and if a 745 has its diesel power pack replaced by a battery bank, will it need to be reclassified as a 3xx?

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I'd heard that but that would mean they should be numbered in the 700-749 series, like the Desiro Citys and Aventras.

Whoever controls the numbering of new train classes is as bad as OFCOM with phone numbers, and what a mess that is! (OT rant over).
If you look into the history of phone number codes they actually make some kind of sense.

XAM2175

Established Member
So, when and if a 745 has its diesel power pack replaced by a battery bank, will it need to be reclassified as a 3xx?
745s are AC overhead only so there's no diesel pack to replace. If you mean a 755, then no, because AC + battery is still multi-mode just like DC + battery is for the 777s.

Energy

Established Member
If you mean a 755, then no, because AC + battery is still multi-mode just like DC + battery is for the 777s.
Its more that there is no point in reclassifying them. The 777s aren't classified that way because of batteries, they were classified before the multi mode rule was introduced and they were told to pick a number in the 700 range. They could have picked 727 if they wanted to.

AM9

Veteran Member
Here's an excellent video to explain that! (Not mine)
Without going any further off-topic, I knew all of that, (my mother was a GPO/Post Office/BT telephonist for many years) and most of that happened before Ofcom did the damage. My comment was about the mess of 'freephone' vs 'lo-call' 'national rate' 'personal' and 'premium rate' non-geographical number allocations, which Ofcom allowed commercial interests to abuse, - then they underwrote that abuse to the detriment of innocent subscribers.
Maybe there should be a rant as a separate thread on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.