• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If FirstYork bus company won the ECML franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If FirstYork bus company managed the ECML franchise:- ;)

- The fares would rise to around £1 per mile for short journeys, York-Doncaster CDR would rise to £35
- Railcards would not be accepted
- 14 year olds would pay full fare
- Over 65s would pay about one tenth of the fare, and would be the only people able to afford to travel
- Everyone would have to board and exit through a single door
- All trains would call at all stops, including Drem, Cramlington, and Watton-at-Stone.
- There would be infrequent direct services on the ECML proper, while the frequent services zig-zag around.
- The most frequent service would be Edinburgh-Carlisle-Newcastle-Hartlepool-Middlesbrough-Bishop Auckland (rev)- York- Leeds - Doncaster - Lincoln - Sleaford-Peterborough-Stevenage-Herford North-London (calling at all stops)
- All stops would be request stops.
- The fastest service, Edinburgh-Newcastle-York-London would run twice per day
- The restaurant would be abolished and anyone caught eating or drinking would be ejected from the bus.
- No refunds would be given for any delays
- Through ticketing would not be available, not just for other operators but even for changing trains
- All train delays would be attributed to "Congestion"
- Any passengers who complain would be given a standard letter moaning about congestion
- No timetables shall be altered for engineering works or special events. When delays occur due to works, the driver will moan that the works are taking place
- The service enquiries telephone number will be constantly engaged
- Journey times will take the same amount of time at all times of the day, according to the timetable. But at peak times all services will run 30 minutes late due to "congestion".
- Season tickets would only offer a discount of around 10% compared to the Standard fare.

:lol: :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Let's see...

- Drivers will use mobile phones to book their breakfast from the station cafe
- There will be a flat fare for anyone whether you want to go from Donny to York or from London to Edinburgh of £390
- A 'cleaner' will become an intangiable, ghostly concept
- No new trains will be bought. Instead, trains will be formed of ex-London commuter trains. Don't complain, you get what you're given!

devon_metro

Established Member
yorkie said:
If FirstYork bus company managed the ECML franchise:- ;)
- The most frequent service would be Edinburgh-Carlisle-Newcastle-Hartlepool-Middlesbrough-Bishop Auckland (rev)- York- Leeds - Doncaster - Lincoln - Sleaford-Peterborough-Stevenage-Herford North-London (calling at all stops)

An Edinburgh to London Stopper? :P Ouch!

I can imagine that with the XC route, Penzance - Edinburgh 150/2 stopper Stopping off at all nearby branch lines! :roll:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's not THAT bad in York is it? :shock:

I'd rather have First buses than most of the operators I've experienced!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Only been on York buses once (the driver let me have a free journey :D), but can't be as bad as First in Bristol, surely :roll:

Jim

Established Member
FGWFan said:
It's not THAT bad in York is it? :shock:

I'd rather have First buses than most of the operators I've experienced!
Being a first lover (ducks head) I do agree that York is rubbish

Mojo said:
Only been on York buses once (the driver let me have a free journey ), but can't be as bad as First in Bristol, surely

I lost some change & only had a fiver on me & a driver let me on for free
No, not AS bad as first Bristol (close)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've not sampled the delights of First in Yorkshire yet, so I can't vouch for whether it's any good.

First Cymru and First Wyvern are good though.

Sprinter

FGWFan said:
First Cymru and First Wyvern are good though.

First Wyvern may well have a good service on Monday-Saturday but on Sunday they are virtaully non existant! 2 hour frequency on the main Malvern- Worcester- Birmingham route.... which even on a Sunday can run up to 20 late!!

Guinness

Established Member
Only been to York once and had the wonderful pleasure of riding First Park and Ride.

Never again.....

Andy

well i think first busses are bad they are horrable looking and they are so loud

Jim

Established Member
andy said:
well i think first busses are bad they are horrable looking and they are so loud

& other bus compinies busses aren't loud :roll: . It is not first's fault they chose a horrid livery ;)

Chaz: P&R looked horrid, didn't sample it

Tom B

Established Member
FGWFan said:
I've not sampled the delights of First in Yorkshire yet, so I can't vouch for whether it's any good.

You lucky sod. It's better to walk, honest.

Jim said:
It is not first's fault they chose a horrid livery

Who chose it then?

Guinness

Established Member
Jim said:
It is not first's fault they chose a horrid livery

Then whos fault is it? Blairs? The Bus Builder? You? :? I believe it is First who chose that liverly some how....

Ben

Cockfosters said:
FGWFan said:

Agreed

First The Only Bus Company to operate my school bus 65 mmins late twice (in the same Week)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cockfosters said:
FGWFan said:

It can be. I once left plenty of time to get a bus, the bus was 30 minutes late and I missed by train by 10 mins, I had an advance purchase ticket. The driver blamed the delay on "congestion", but we encountered none at all, in fact the bus made up time.

The delay was on the previous journey, there is no slack time and no turnaround time!

If I had walked I'd have made my train.

Fortunately GNER were sympathetic to the cause and validated my ticket for the next train. The person I spoke to said he sometimes got the bus and he knew himself how bad it can be.

Also the routes tend to zig-zag a lot. It is usually quicker to cycle, and it can be quicker to walk.

Jim

Established Member
Chaz said:
Jim said:
It is not first's fault they chose a horrid livery ;)

Then whos fault is it? Blairs? The Bus Builder? You? :? I believe it is First who chose that liverly some how....

Forgot the wink on the end of that sentance :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.