• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If I buy a return to South Elmsall....

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
....can I return from Moorthorpe if that turns out to be more convenient time wise?

From Leeds that is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I don't know (but I doubt it). However, for a mere 90p more than the Day Return rate you can get a WYMetro Train Dayrover, which is certainly valid at both points, and at Leeds.

4SRKT

Established Member
I was hoping that they'd be paired stations in the manner of Settle/Giggleswick (not a group), since they are just the opposite ends of the same village and between them basically provide a half hourly service from Leeds to South Elmsall.

I can't use the Rover before 09:30.

Last edited:

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I was hoping that they'd be paired stations in the manner of Settle/Giggleswick (not a group), since they are just the opposite ends of the same village and between them basically provide a half hourly service from Leeds to South Elmsall.

I can't use the Rover before 09:30.

Paired stations? I know that they exist but where (in the public domain) can I confirm which ones they are? I seem to recall that Clapham and Horton-in-Ribblesdale were/are also "paired" - does this still apply? Weren't paired station may have been listed as "Local Easements" in the old paper Fares Manuals? Since they went out-of-print then all traces of information about them has gone...:(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are indeed many "local easements" but it's difficult to find documentation for them.

I would like to see a central location for such easements, and for there to be more of them.

I'd also like to see more station groupings, but in this case I wonder if residents of Moorthorpe would object to 'South Elmsall Stns' ;)

But yes, South Elmsall, Moorthorpe and South Kirby are really all one town, and with regular buses between Moorthorpe & South Elmsall stations, as well as it being easily walkable from one to the other, it doesn't make sense to penalise or inconvenience customers.

mm333

I've emailed Northern this week to, for starters, ask for Moorthorpe-South Elmsall to be added as a walking option to NRES. If you didn't know the area, the only valid route from Pontefract Baghill to South Elmsall would send you down the Dearne Valley line to Moorthorpe, one stop north to Fitzwilliam and then back down one stop to South Elmsall. (You would hope that a guard seeing/selling that ticket would tell people to get off at Moorthorpe and walk down the road).

I know the majority of walking routes given by NRES are group stations. The only non-group station walking option I know is Ash Vale to North Camp. Are there any others?

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Not on NRE as a walking route but when I lived in the area (not in the large "hotel" across the road!) tickets to Walton or Rice Lane in Liverpool were accepted interchangeably. The stations are in spitting distance of one another.

Blackpool North and Blackpool South tickets seem to be accepted likewise but AFAIK this is unofficial and has caused people to enquire on here in the past as to whether this is allowed. A "Blackpool Stations" destination (for origins beyond Kirkham) would fix this.

I'm sure that there are many others that are accepted unofficially and would benefit from being made official and advertised.

kieron

Established Member
I know the majority of walking routes given by NRES are group stations. The only non-group station walking option I know is Ash Vale to North Camp. Are there any others?
Plenty. Burnley, Burscough and Windsor contain three. Merseyrail show a walking route between Hartford and Greenbank, but the ticket sites all send you the long way around.
Not on NRE as a walking route but when I lived in the area (not in the large "hotel" across the road!) tickets to Walton or Rice Lane in Liverpool were accepted interchangeably. The stations are in spitting distance of one another.
It's hard to tell what's accepted now, with the rarity of ticket checks. It would be a bit silly to care about stations which are that close together, though.
Blackpool North and Blackpool South tickets seem to be accepted likewise but AFAIK this is unofficial and has caused people to enquire on here in the past as to whether this is allowed. A "Blackpool Stations" destination (for origins beyond Kirkham) would fix this.
Wikipedia claims that Blackpool used to have a station group. I suppose ORCATS makes it hard to reintroduce something like that now.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Tickets may generally be accepted on the ground in these cases, but you'll find that much less likely if the different routes are operated by different TOCs, because they see it as loss of revenue and it messes up their revenue distribution calculations.

34D

Established Member
I have previously had a letter from Northern confirming validity at Moorthorpe (for a South Elmsall to Leeds ticket) several years ago.

However, I do not have this letter to hand (believe either destroyed, or in a box somewhere).

IanD

Established Member
I have an email from Northern confirming the Settle/Giggleswick validity. Posted it on a thread on here a while ago.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, see Settle/Giggleswick.

Also bear in mind walking interchanges are not the same as ticket destinations being used interchangeably.

There really should be a centralised list.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Yes, see Settle/Giggleswick.

Also bear in mind walking interchanges are not the same as ticket destinations being used interchangeably.

There really should be a centralised list.

Settle / Giggleswick is a long standing one that was mentioned as an easement in the old printed paper fares manuals. Mainly, I suspect, due to Settle station being closer to Giggleswick village than Giggleswick station is, and the one time limited service at both stations (although Settle has seen in a increase in the number of trains in recent years).

IanD

Established Member
Settle / Giggleswick is a long standing one that was mentioned as an easement in the old printed paper fares manuals. Mainly, I suspect, due to Settle station being closer to Giggleswick village than Giggleswick station is, and the one time limited service at both stations (although Settle has seen in a increase in the number of trains in recent years).

Whereas Giggleswick has seen a reduction.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Tickets may generally be accepted on the ground in these cases, but you'll find that much less likely if the different routes are operated by different TOCs, because they see it as loss of revenue and it messes up their revenue distribution calculations.

Agreed. Where different TOCs operate different stations / routes / services, and / or the different stations are on completely different lines with services in different directions then the flexibility may be reduced. This case is generally OK as trains from both stations go to Leeds, and stop at the same stations on the same route anyway.

Another recently discussed example on here was Ash Vale and North Camp, which are only 0.5mile apart on a straight road and are in fact closer than Moorthorpe & South Elmsall. I wouldn't suggest tickets are interchangeable here as the stations are on different routes, going to different destinations, operated by different TOCs.

The only list of such interchangeable stations that I am aware of is with seasons tickets which are "also available at". These are mainly in the former NSE area, are generally for journeys to London, and have been around for a long time - I remember my father having such a season ticket when we lived there in the 1980s. In the case of Ash Vale, for example, Ash Vale has season tickets which are also available at Farnborough Main (not Reading) - the tickets are printed accordingly.

OwlMan

Established Member
For those that are interested the official ATOC lists of interavailable stations and group stations are attached.
The interavailable liost only includes those stations that have been advised to ATOC. Others may exist with local agreements.

Attachments

• Group stations.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 16
  • interavailable stations.pdf
    101.3 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.