• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If I get a standard fare season ticket can I upgrade it to first class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StateOfPlay

I am getting a monthly season from my employer as I will be covering other people's jobs in the lead up to Xmas in central London.

I will be loading it onto a keycard, this new gadget that GNRail have launched.

My question is, can I upgrade it to 1st class after my employer has paid for standard as they will not cough up for it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This would be much easier if your employer lets you but the first class ticket and them pays you what the standard one would have cost. However, as employers aren't always flexible, I'm pretty sure you can do this at the station.

Ask for a season ticket changeover - it might take a few days for them to do the calculations if you don't get the changeover done on the day the ticket was issued.

causton

Established Member
Good luck if you are getting it on a Key. It will probably take a good while to get it loaded onto the Key, then unloaded and a first class one loaded. As maniacmartin says, if they can give you the money and you buy a first class one that would be a lot easier.

StateOfPlay

This would be much easier if your employer lets you but the first class ticket and them pays you what the standard one would have cost. However, as employers aren't always flexible, I'm pretty sure you can do this at the station.

Ask for a season ticket changeover - it might take a few days for them to do the calculations if you don't get the changeover done on the day the ticket was issued.

I agree, it would be far easier. But our company has stringent rules around claiming expenses and when I mentioned it I was shot down.

Mind, I should just make do with the standard fare, it will cost me £250 to upgrade to 1st class. I could spend that £250 on beer :)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Oh yes, get the initial ticket issued on a paper ticket and not The key if you want to avoid lots of hassle doing the changeover

StateOfPlay

Good luck if you are getting it on a Key. It will probably take a good while to get it loaded onto the Key, then unloaded and a first class one loaded. As maniacmartin says, if they can give you the money and you buy a first class one that would be a lot easier.

Ah yes, the key might cause problems, I hear from colleagues it isn't working in some London stations.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you're travelling from Biggleswade then 1st class is hardly worth the extra cost.

I'd also advise against using The Key at this stage.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
How will you be paying for the ticket? Will it be a company cheque, or will the company give you cash and require a receipt? If it's a company cheque I know London Midland will accept it as part payment.

And yes, unless you are very worried about seats, first class from Biggleswade is a waste of cash

Status
Not open for further replies.