• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If Lyme Regis Branch had survived

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
Reading a book on Lyme Regis Branch got me thinking if it had survived how it would have been worked under privatisation.
Under Nationalisation for me the ideal stock would have been a Pacer or possibly a 153, however under Privatisation it would probably have come under SW therfore a 158 which would be over kill.
Wonder how many other closed branches that current operators would have had usuitable stock for

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Had the Lyme Regis branch survived, one could reasonably assume that the Seaton and Sidmouth branches would also have survived, in which case a small fleet of two carriage thumpers might have been appropriate (followed by some 15x's perhaps).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Had the Lyme Regis branch survived, one could reasonably assume that the Seaton and Sidmouth branches would also have survived, in which case a small fleet of two carriage thumpers might have been appropriate (followed by some 15x's perhaps).
Sorry, entirely off topic, but my grandfather was a workaholic who worked for the Inland Revenue from leaving school at 14 until forced to retire ar 80! He refused to go on holiday unless he went to Sidmouth with my grandmother, always by train from Bromley South via Clapham Junction. He owned a car too but never drove, although he belonged to both the RAC and AA!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sorry, entirely off topic, but my grandfather was a workaholic who worked for the Inland Revenue from leaving school at 14 until forced to retire ar 80! He refused to go on holiday unless he went to Sidmouth with my grandmother, always by train from Bromley South via Clapham Junction. He owned a car too but never drove, although he belonged to both the RAC and AA!

He probably wanted to relax on the journey :)

Touring the branches of the Dorset Coast sounds like it would have been a nice way to spend a week !

delt1c

Established Member
Would have thought he would have been a member of the CSMA as a Civil Servant

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
He probably wanted to relax on the journey :)

Touring the branches of the Dorset Coast sounds like it would have been a nice way to spend a week !
During the 80's, I spent an enjoyable day covering surviving branch lines in Devon and Cornwall, Exmouth, Barnstaple, Gunnislake, Looe, Newquay Falmouth and St Ives, finally arriving in Penzance for an overnight stay before catching the ferry to the Scillies

Veteran Member
ISTR that the SR had plans to dieselise the East Devon branches following on from the Oxted scheme, so you would be on the right lines.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
During the 80's, I spent an enjoyable day covering surviving branch lines in Devon and Cornwall, Exmouth, Barnstaple, Gunnislake, Looe, Newquay Falmouth and St Ives, finally arriving in Penzance for an overnight stay before catching the ferry to the Scillies

Sounds like a good one - we're fortunate that at least those lines had survived.

RT4038

Established Member
If lines like these had survived, I expect some kind of Parry People Mover type vehicle, with the driver collecting the fares, would have been developed and used by now.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
ISTR that the SR had plans to dieselise the East Devon branches following on from the Oxted scheme, so you would be on the right lines.

Some of the lines gained 116/117/118 DMUs before closure, like for instance the Budleigh/Sidmouth, Seaton and Lyme Regis branches.
Would these lines have ended up being part of the current GWR franchise like the Exmouth branch and supplied by a larger Exeter (EX) depot maybe?
As far as the Lyme branch, didn’t it have quite sharp curves, which may have possibly caused problems with Pacers (or Skippers in old money)?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Maybe the Lyme branch could’ve ended up being the last outpost of Bubble Car operation (in BR green of course). ;)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Maybe the Lyme branch could’ve ended up being the last outpost of Bubble Car operation (in BR green of course). ;)

The enthusiast in me suggests it would have been nice if the ex-Chiltern pair of 122s could have been taken on for dedicated Looe Valley Line operation and therefore freeing up a much needed 150 or currently a 153 for other use. Yes I do appreciate there are probably lots of reasons why this is perhaps not as easy as it first seems but it's a nice thought all the same, apologies Mr delt1c for going slightly off topic ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The enthusiast in me suggests it would have been nice if the ex-Chiltern pair of 122s could have been taken on for dedicated Looe Valley Line operation and therefore freeing up a much needed 150 or currently a 153 for other use. Yes I do appreciate there are probably lots of reasons why this is perhaps not as easy as it first seems but it's a nice thought all the same, apologies Mr delt1c for going slightly off topic ;)

That could’ve been nice. It’s such a quirky line anyway.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Some of the lines gained 116/117/118 DMUs before closure, like for instance the Budleigh/Sidmouth, Seaton and Lyme Regis branches.
Would these lines have ended up being part of the current GWR franchise like the Exmouth branch and supplied by a larger Exeter (EX) depot maybe?
As far as the Lyme branch, didn’t it have quite sharp curves, which may have possibly caused problems with Pacers (or Skippers in old money)?

Yes, although I believe the Southern did some straightening works at one stage.

delt1c

Established Member
Apologies accepted MR B

341o2

Established Member
Sounds like a good one - we're fortunate that at least those lines had survived.

And being first generation DMU's, most of the time spent immediately behind the driver, ability to open windows as well. Hoping not to be OT with this story, but in the days of steam and first generation of DMU's, sanding was done manually. The next generation had automatic sanders, which on the Gunnislake branch were defeated by good ol' Cornish mizzle, and henceforth carried two further pieces of hi tech equipment - a bucket of sand and a spade.

Veteran Member
If only such a sensible plan had prevailed :(
But Lyme Regis, with its station halfway out of town up a hill, was never likely to have survived- a 2H would have been overkill most of the year. I think Sidmouth had a similar problem.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
But Lyme Regis, with its station halfway out of town up a hill, was never likely to have survived- a 2H would have been overkill most of the year. I think Sidmouth had a similar problem.

Sidmouth had a stop right on the front and went through some largish villages. I imagine a 2H might have been ideal.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes Sidmouth station is right up a hill on the way out of town (most of it is still there actually). Definitely a bit inconvenient though.
Budleigh was more convenient.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.o...n-to-tipton-st-johns-and-sidmouthexmouth.html
"Sidmouth station was over a mile from the beach and 202' above it."
Seaton and Exmouth were well sited, think you're mixing them up, Rob.

Oh yes, its probably Seaton I'm thinking of. I'm a bit far away from my maps at the moment.

Nevertheless, distance from the seaside area doesn't necessarily preclude seaside traffic. Ramsgate is quite a trek from the front, as is Brighton and Bournemouth (although admittedly these all have urban areas which are nearer as well).

delt1c

Established Member
as a forfiet 3 points removed. Dont know what it means but believe in sharing

delt1c

Established Member
I don't know either, but whatever I do appreciate your leniency there Mr D, only because it's Christmas perhaps? :smile:
Had it been post festive season penalty would have been double . Ho Ho Ho

AndrewE

Established Member
I'm a bit late on this, but that would have been an excellent solution, not least because as I understand it all that generation of SR stock could work in multiple. So from Waterloo you could have had class 33s (or bigger locos) working the main train with 4-TC coaches or some other [fantasy] top-notch DEMUs and the mini-thumper at the back... Just drop the units off at the junction stations to provide through trains from London to the coast! It would have even worked if the main line had been electrified because all the electric locos and stock were compatible too.

If you had the crew available for the whole journey you could even have made them slip coaches, with the added benefits that they could power themselves off the main line and into platforms, and you wouldn't have to keep locos waiting to go out to fetch them at the junction stations either.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm a bit late on this, but that would have been an excellent solution, not least because as I understand it all that generation of SR stock could work in multiple. So from Waterloo you could have had class 33s (or bigger locos) working the main train with 4-TC coaches or some other [fantasy] top-notch DEMUs and the mini-thumper at the back... Just drop the units off at the junction stations to provide through trains from London to the coast! It would have even worked if the main line had been electrified because all the electric locos and stock were compatible too.

If you had the crew available for the whole journey you could even have made them slip coaches, with the added benefits that they could power themselves off the main line and into platforms, and you wouldn't have to keep locos waiting to go out to fetch them at the junction stations either.

Yes, you could have a full width version of the Hastings units with perhaps some shorter DEMU portions attached for branchline services. Through connections between units wouldn't have been possible, but it wouldn't have been a great leap to design a version of the 2H with internal connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.