• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If the South Humber Link happens.... what replaces the existing service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Ok so with the second round of ideas from the restoring your railway fund a bid from North Lincolnshire Council bidding for the diversion of the Barton service to Gainsborough via Brigg and increasing it to hourly. If this does happen what happens to the stops between Habrough and Cleethorpes (excluding Grimsby Town?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
Ok so with the second round of ideas from the restoring your railway fund a bid from North Lincolnshire Council bidding for the diversion of the Barton service to Gainsborough via Brigg and increasing it to hourly. If this does happen what happens to the stops between Habrough and Cleethorpes (excluding Grimsby Town?)
Could it be that they’ll keep the existing Cleethorpes service at 1tp2h and also have this 1tp2h Gainsborough service? I think it would be possible with the timetabling on the branch line, especially if they ran it limited stop or something. I doubt this would happen but I do wonder if there’s a chance they could open a route from Goxhill to Barton-on-Humber via Barrow-on-Humber. It’s quite a sizeable place compared to others on the branch so I reckon it deserves a couple of decent connections. 1tp2h on the village stopper to Cleethorpes is enough for New Holland and Barrow Haven in all likelihood.

This is getting slightly off topic but I’ve seen how small some of the places on that route are, and one that sticks out to me is Habrough, which currently has an hourly TP Express Doncaster/Sheffield/Manchester service and nearly every half hour to Grimsby, with most going through to Cleethorpes. If this Sheffield - Gainsborough - Barnetby - Barton service happens, could Barnetby be sufficient as the interchange for Barton? Habrough can have the Barton village stopper and the Sheffield to Cleethorpes, which would run in opposite hours to the Sheffield to Barton. It would be stopping everywhere from Habrough to Cleethorpes on request, also in the opposite hour to the Barton.

Last edited:

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Could it be that they’ll keep the existing Cleethorpes service at 1tp2h and also have this 1tp2h Gainsborough service? I think it would be possible with the timetabling on the branch line, especially if they ran it limited stop or something. I doubt this would happen but I do wonder if there’s a chance they could open a route from Goxhill to Barton-on-Humber via Barrow-on-Humber. It’s quite a sizeable place compared to others on the branch so I reckon it deserves a couple of decent connections. 1tp2h on the village stopper to Cleethorpes is enough for New Holland and Barrow Haven in all likelihood.

This is getting slightly off topic but I’ve seen how small some of the places on that route are, and one that sticks out to me is Habrough, which currently has an hourly TP Express Doncaster/Sheffield/Manchester service and nearly every half hour to Grimsby, with most going through to Cleethorpes. If this Sheffield - Gainsborough - Barnetby - Barton service happens, could Barnetby be sufficient as the interchange for Barton? Habrough can have the Barton village stopper and the Sheffield to Cleethorpes, which would run in opposite hours to the Sheffield to Barton. It would be stopping everywhere from Habrough to Cleethorpes on request, also in the opposite hour to the Barton.

I don think that’s what they’ll do from what i read.

It is a full hourly service from Barton to Sheffield via Gainsborough an extension of the existing service

https://lincolnshiretoday.net/mag/5...ain-services-between-barton-and-gainsborough/

North Lincolnshire Council has submitted a bid for £50,000 of Government cash to re-open and increase passenger train services along the Barton, Brigg and Gainsborough route.

The application to the Ideas Fund from the Department for Transport (DfT) Restoring Your Railway Programme is to fund a feasibility study into the benefits of improving the train services.

Currently the Brigg, Kirton and Gainsborough line only runs passenger services on Saturdays. The Barton line is hampered by a section which is freight only meaning passenger trains must take an indirect route.

No passenger trains currently run on a short spur of line between Ulceby Station and Brocklesby.

The bid has been submitted with support from North Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Community Rail Partnership and with backing from the area’s MPs; Andrew Percy for Brigg and Goole, Holly Mumby-Croft for Scunthorpe and Martin Vickers for Cleethorpes.

Cllr Rob Waltham, Leader of North Lincolnshire Council, said: “There is a real need for the train services between Barton, Brigg and Gainsborough to be improved as there is a gap in connectivity for these locations.

“Many of the villages nearby don’t have access to other forms of transport and an increase in rail services would provide that much-needed connection.

“We have been working with the area’s MPs and North Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Community Rail Partnership to create a strong bid to the government highlighting the many economic benefits it would have for the area. The support from our MPs, Andrew, Holly and Martin, in backing this bid has been fantastic and we are grateful for it.

“This project will open up employment opportunities and support our visitor economy whilst also supporting ambitions for clean growth.”

Barry Coward, chair of the North Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Community Rail Partnership, said: “I am delighted that North Lincolnshire Council has developed our idea for providing a regular train service at Kirton in Lindsey and Brigg into an application to the government for funding a feasibility study.

“As the local Community Rail Partnership we will be pleased to work in partnership with the council on this project.”

The feasibility study would investigate the transport benefits of an increased passenger service of:

• Increased rail services connecting towns and villages
  • Increased opportunities for leisure travel opening up tourist locations (e.g. Thornton Abbey) and supporting our growth ambitions for the visitor economy
  • Increasing employment opportunities for local residents through increased travel to work options
  • Increasing housing growth through increased transport options to housing growth areas
  • Supporting the ambitions of TfN, Midlands Connect, Humber LEP and Greater Lincolnshire LEP around increased connectivity
  • Supporting North Lincolnshire Council’s ambitions as set out in Council Plan, Economic Growth Plan, Local Plan to support economic growth, increased connectivity, safety and wellbeing
  • Supporting local, regional and national ambitions for clean growth. Increasing use of public transport and reduced reliance on private car
  • Meeting community needs and aspirations as clearly articulated by the Community Rail Partnership
The fund will provide 75 per cent of costs up to £50,000 of successful proposals to help fund transport and economic studies and create a business case. The council would invest the remaining 25 per cent.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I expect the current Manchester Piccadilly will stop at Scunthorpe and Barnetby, but then should it then run non stop to Cleethorpes?

tbtc

Veteran Member
So the plan is for Sheffield to lose some Cleethorpes trains, on the one day of the week when demand is highest for Sheffield people to have a trip out to the beach... (as well as Barton etc losing their services to the nearest big place - Grimsby) this is an even poorer suggestion than I first thought it was!

I guess the easiest "solution" to the OP's problem of what'll serve the local stations at the Cleethorpes end, my suggestion would be extending the Doncaster - Scunthorpe stopper further east. But I seem to keep suggesting the relatively simple idea of extending the Doncaster - Scunthorpe stopper on South Humberside/ North Lincolnshire threads, when there are various grandiose suggestions involving regular London/ Birmingham services, more paths over the flat crossing at Newark etc.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
I expect the current Manchester Piccadilly will stop at Scunthorpe and Barnetby, but then should it then run non stop to Cleethorpes?

It does now. It calls at Scunthorpe, Barnetby, Habrough (for Immingham) and Grimsby Town. I can't see it stopping between Habrough and Grimsby. and no it shouldn't run non-stop from Barnetby

So the plan is for Sheffield to lose some Cleethorpes trains, on the one day of the week when demand is highest for Sheffield people to have a trip out to the beach... (as well as Barton etc losing their services to the nearest big place - Grimsby) this is an even poorer suggestion than I first thought it was!

I guess the easiest "solution" to the OP's problem of what'll serve the local stations at the Cleethorpes end, my suggestion would be extending the Doncaster - Scunthorpe stopper further east. But I seem to keep suggesting the relatively simple idea of extending the Doncaster - Scunthorpe stopper on South Humberside/ North Lincolnshire threads, when there are various grandiose suggestions involving regular London/ Birmingham services, more paths over the flat crossing at Newark etc.

I did wonder whether they would extend the Doncaster to Scunthorpe service to Cleethorpes.

Sheffield doesn't lose any trains? @tbtc The current line via Gainsborough is used on Saturdays only to Cleethorpes. The existing Manchester-Cleethorpes does not change at all

tbtc

Veteran Member

It is a full hourly service from Barton to Sheffield via Gainsborough an extension of the existing service

https://lincolnshiretoday.net/mag/5...ain-services-between-barton-and-gainsborough/

Sheffield doesn't lose any trains? @tbtc The current line via Gainsborough is used on Saturdays only to Cleethorpes. The existing Manchester-Cleethorpes does not change at all

Ah, okay - I thought that you were suggesting an hourly extension of the Sheffield - Gainsborough Central services to Barton, which would mean that the Sheffield - Gainsborough Central - Cleethorpes services would be diverted to Barton instead.

It's only a handful of services and only on Saturdays, but that is the most popular day for Sheffielders wanting to come through and sample the delights of Cleethorpes - so if the proposal had been that *all* Gainsborough Central services ran to Barton then that would mean that we lost the Sheffield - Gainsborough Central - Cleethorpes services (no offence to Barton, but it's not exactly as attractive for Sheffielders wanting a day out!) - which would also mean north Nottingamshire losing its services to the beach.

HST43257

Established Member
Well I think theyre getting something wrong there.

What’s wrong with Northern operating:
1tp2h Barton to Cleethorpes
1tp2h Sheffield to Barton
1tp2h Sheffield to Cleethorpes

No need to bring the Scunthorpe stopper into this. You can have a fairly simple Sheffield - Barton - Cleethorpes (or vice versa, depending on the hour) diagram operation.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Ah, okay - I thought that you were suggesting an hourly extension of the Sheffield - Gainsborough Central services to Barton, which would mean that the Sheffield - Gainsborough Central - Cleethorpes services would be diverted to Barton instead.

It's only a handful of services and only on Saturdays, but that is the most popular day for Sheffielders wanting to come through and sample the delights of Cleethorpes - so if the proposal had been that *all* Gainsborough Central services ran to Barton then that would mean that we lost the Sheffield - Gainsborough Central - Cleethorpes services (no offence to Barton, but it's not exactly as attractive for Sheffielders wanting a day out!) - which would also mean north Nottingamshire losing its services to the beach.

Wait I’m confused so currently the service from Sheffield to Gainsborough Central operate hourly however 3 trains per day operate to Cleethorpes on Saturdays as a parliamentary service. The proposal (by North Lincolnshire Council, which was successful in the Restoring Your Railway Fund) is to extend the hourly service from Gainsborough Central to Barton-on-Humber replacing the Barton to Cleethorpes service got it. People from Sheffield to Cleethorpes don’t uses the Sheffield to Cleethorpes via Gainsborough service they use the TPE Manchester to Cleethorpes via Sheffield and Doncaster.

HST43257

Established Member
Wait I’m confused so currently the service from Sheffield to Gainsborough Central operate hourly however 3 trains per day operate to Cleethorpes on Saturdays as a parliamentary service. The proposal (by North Lincolnshire Council, which was successful in the Restoring Your Railway Fund) is to extend the hourly service from Gainsborough Central to Barton-on-Humber replacing the Barton to Cleethorpes service got it.
So what’s happening to the likes of Stallingbrough and Healing?

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
So what’s happening to the likes of Stallingbrough and Healing?

That was my question!

If you read the article thats there proposal:

The reopening of railway passenger services between Barton, Brigg and Gainsborough has moved a step closer following the investment of government cash.

North Lincolnshire council has secured £50,000 of government cash to explore the possibility of reopening it.

A feasibility study will look at the benefits of increasing rail services between the towns, with officials saying it would boost jobs and tourism opportunities.

Currently, the Brigg, Kirton in Lindsey and Gainsborough line only runs passenger services on Saturdays.
The Barton line is currently hampered by a section which is freight-only, meaning passenger trains must take an indirect route.

There is also a section of track between Ulceby Station and Brocklesby where no passenger trains run.

Councillor Rob Waltham, leader of North Lincolnshire Council, said: "We are delighted that the Restoring Your Railway Ideas Fund panel has approved the first stage of our application to commission a study to improve train services between Barton and Gainsborough.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Which is why I suggest that 1tp2h from the Brigg route goes to Cleethorpes instead of Barton, with the Barton to Cleethorpes also operating. A triangular diagram of sorts should work.

It could work but I do wonder what North Lincolnshire Council are proposing to do between Habrough and Cleethorpes for the local stations only served currently by the Barton service.

HST43257

Established Member
It could work but I do wonder what North Lincolnshire Council are proposing to do between Habrough and Cleethorpes for the local stations only served currently by the Barton service.
If anything, they deserve better than what they currently have. Healing, Great Coates and Stallingbrough are fairly decently sized places, with a combined population of over 5.5K, they probably deserve an hourly service, so this can be 1tp2h from Sheffield and 1tp2h from Barton.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
If anything, they deserve better than what they currently have. Healing, Great Coates and Stallingbrough are fairly decently sized places, with a combined population of over 5.5K, they probably deserve an hourly service, so this can be 1tp2h from Sheffield and 1tp2h from Barton.

I do wonder whether they are planning to extend the Doncaster to Scunthorpe service to Cleethorpes

You do realise its just THREE trains per day on a Saturday just to keep the line open thats it (Sheffield-Cleethorpes via Gainsborough) so I really dont get your point at all

HST43257

Established Member
I do wonder whether they are planning to extend the Doncaster to Scunthorpe service to Cleethorpes
I think that’d be a waste if they did. They have a chance to give 2 different lines a sufficient service, but instead they give 1 line a service that is too good for the demand it will have, and make it so extra money has to be spent on extra units being needed for extra diagrams. Not exactly the most sensible way when we are trying to make it so as little money is spent as possible, so more cash can be made back. If you want extra travellers in the area, you don’t do it in a less cost efficient way than actually required!

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
I think that’d be a waste if they did. They have a chance to give 2 different lines a sufficient service, but instead they give 1 line a service that is too good for the demand it will have, and make it so extra money has to be spent on extra units being needed for extra diagrams. Not exactly the most sensible way when we are trying to make it so as little money is spent as possible, so more cash can be made back. If you want extra travellers in the area, you don’t do it in a less cost efficient way than actually required!

I certainly dont think they will do what you said though. Just doesn’t sound like what they are thinking

tbtc

Veteran Member
Wait I’m confused so currently the service from Sheffield to Gainsborough Central operate hourly however 3 trains per day operate to Cleethorpes on Saturdays as a parliamentary service. The proposal (by North Lincolnshire Council, which was successful in the Restoring Your Railway Fund) is to extend the hourly service from Gainsborough Central to Barton-on-Humber replacing the Barton to Cleethorpes service got it. People from Sheffield to Cleethorpes don’t uses the Sheffield to Cleethorpes via Gainsborough service they use the TPE Manchester to Cleethorpes via Sheffield and Doncaster.

You do realise its just THREE trains per day on a Saturday just to keep the line open thats it (Sheffield-Cleethorpes via Gainsborough) so I really dont get your point at all

As a humble resident of Sheffield, I do know people who have used the "Brigg" service to get to/from Cleethorpes

It's obviously slower than the TPE one but it provides additional capacity on the busiest day of the week for the "bucket and spade brigade" - so I thought it worth posting out that there'll be some people in Sheffield who'd prefer three trains a week to Cleethorpes to a week-round hourly service to Barton.

I appreciate that there are only a small number of services (via Brigg) but ones that arrive in Cleethorpes at 10:00 and 14:00 on a Saturday are a lot more use for people at this end of the line than dozens of services to Barton over the course of a week. Obviously for people in Worksop etc, it's their only service to the seaside.

We'll still have our direct services to Bridlington/ Scarborough instead so we'll cope for days out. - North Lincolnshire Council seem to be happy to dissuade tourists though

(three return journeys a week is six times the number needed to keep the line open btw - it's not a parliamentary service)

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
As a humble resident of Sheffield, I do know people who have used the "Brigg" service to get to/from Cleethorpes

It's obviously slower than the TPE one but it provides additional capacity on the busiest day of the week for the "bucket and spade brigade" - so I thought it worth posting out that there'll be some people in Sheffield who'd prefer three trains a week to Cleethorpes to a week-round hourly service to Barton.

I appreciate that there are only a small number of services (via Brigg) but ones that arrive in Cleethorpes at 10:00 and 14:00 on a Saturday are a lot more use for people at this end of the line than dozens of services to Barton over the course of a week. Obviously for people in Worksop etc, it's their only service to the seaside.

We'll still have our direct services to Bridlington/ Scarborough instead so we'll cope for days out. - North Lincolnshire Council seem to be happy to dissuade tourists though

(three return journeys a week is six times the number needed to keep the line open btw - it's not a parliamentary service)

Sorry they can change at Barton? I disagree i dont think it is that important and a regular service to Barton will be far more beneficial that three trains per week to Cleethorpes. It’s not because it’s the best day of the week its to keep the line open. An all week round service would be much better though, than present.
It just a few trains per week it is far better to have a regular service that requires a change in train than a direct service that is irregular, fact!

I also live in Cleethorpes.

Last edited:

Grimsby town

North Lincolnshire Council only covers the Scunthorpe, Brigg and Barton areas so I don't imagine they care much about tourism. The whole idea of this Sheffield to Barton is a stupid one. The Barton line has been in decline for years due to the chronic unreliability of the service both due to unit failures and staff shortages. I just don't see how this proposal improves that. I suppose if you are travelling from Goxhill to Barton (or Hull more likely) you now have an hourly service so if one is cancelled there aren't significant gaps but its hardly ideal for getting to Grimsby.

I think the best thing for the barton line would be to have a spare unit based at Cleethorpes to allow services to continue in the event of a unit failure. Hiring more drivers would be a good start too. I do think Brigg needs a regular service though. Saturday Patronage has been strong of the past few years. It would probably be best served by a 2 hourly Cleethorpes to Worksop service. This would also potentially increase services at Great Coates, Healing and Stallingborough which could be decent traffic generators with a good service.

HST43257

Established Member
It would probably be best served by a 2 hourly Cleethorpes to Worksop service.
Perhaps all the way from Nottingham? Sounds like they’re not too happy with a lack of fast connectivity. You wouldn’t get the fast part with this but you’d get the connectivity. I’m sure they’d appreciate a Retford service as well.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
North Lincolnshire Council only covers the Scunthorpe, Brigg and Barton areas so I don't imagine they care much about tourism. The whole idea of this Sheffield to Barton is a stupid one. The Barton line has been in decline for years due to the chronic unreliability of the service both due to unit failures and staff shortages. I just don't see how this proposal improves that. I suppose if you are travelling from Goxhill to Barton (or Hull more likely) you now have an hourly service so if one is cancelled there aren't significant gaps but its hardly ideal for getting to Grimsby.

I think the best thing for the barton line would be to have a spare unit based at Cleethorpes to allow services to continue in the event of a unit failure. Hiring more drivers would be a good start too. I do think Brigg needs a regular service though. Saturday Patronage has been strong of the past few years. It would probably be best served by a 2 hourly Cleethorpes to Worksop service. This would also potentially increase services at Great Coates, Healing and Stallingborough which could be decent traffic generators with a good service.

The idea seems to be provide connections at barnetby? Do more people really head west from Barton rather than east to Grimsby or Cleethorpes.

If this plan does happen then i can see them extending the Doncaster to Scunthorpe stopper to Cleethorpes

Having said that your proposal for a Worksop service could work with @DH43257 proposal for a triangle service

HST43257

Established Member
The idea seems to be provide connections at barnetby? Do more people really head west from Barton rather than east to Grimsby or Cleethorpes.

If this plan does happen then i can see them extending the Doncaster to Scunthorpe stopper to Cleethorpes

Having said that your proposal for a Worksop service could work with @DH43257 proposal for a triangle service
For me, the bottom line is that you need to provide min. 1tp2h to all destinations at the lowest possible cost. I reckon that it’s best just to send it to sheffield tbh. It’s not all about the full journey. They should keep their fast service (nonstop Worksop to Sheffield) on the Lincoln to Leeds.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
For me, the bottom line is that you need to provide min. 1tp2h to all destinations at the lowest possible cost. I reckon that it’s best just to send it to sheffield tbh. It’s not all about the full journey. They should keep their fast service (nonstop Worksop to Sheffield) on the Lincoln to Leeds.
Are your suggesting that the Barton to Sheffield proposal should be the stopper as planned.

HST43257

Established Member
Are your suggesting that the Barton to Sheffield proposal should be the stopper as planned.
Barton to Sheffield should be all stations from Sheffield to Barnetby via Gainsborough Central, then limited stop from Barnetby to Barton, or maybe all stations for simplicity and extra tourism hope for somewhere like Thornton Abbey. Cleethorpes to Sheffield would be all stations all the way if the
demand is present between Habrough and Cleethorpes. As I’ve mentioned, I believe it would be with a combined population of 5.5K+ in Great Coates, Healing and Stallingborough.

Last edited:

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Barton to Sheffield should be all stations from Sheffield to Barnetby via Gainsborough Central, then limited stop from Barnetby to Barton, or maybe all stations for simplicity and extra tourism hope for somewhere like Thornton Abbey. Cleethorpes to Sheffield would be all stations all the way if the
demand is present between Habrough and Cleethorpes. As I’ve mentioned, I believe it would be with a combined population of 5.5K+ in Great Coates, Healing and Stallingborough.

Barton line is single track mostly! It doesn't justify a limited stopper only one service can use it each hour.

I think:

1tph: Barton to Sheffield via Barnetby via all stations
1tph: Doncaster to Cleethorpes via all stations

Grimsby town

I doubt barely anyone travels west from Barton currently due to the poor connections at Habrough. Even with a direct service to the west, I doubt usage would be particularly high for the following reasons. Rail journey time from Barton to Barnetby will be around 35 minutes. If you own a car journey time to Barnetby is 15 minutes although parking is limited. Driving to Brough for direct London, Leeds and York services would probably only take around 15 minutes. I highly doubt you'd attract people out of their cars.

If you don't own a car you can always travel on the regular bus service to Hull for destinations such as Leeds, York (and the north east) or even London. This new service is an improvement for people travelling to Sheffield even then the time saving compared to changing on to a TPE at Habrough is going to be limited.

On the other hand journey times are more competitive to Cleethorpes in particular and the demand for commuting is always going to be higher than to Gainsborough / Brigg from Barton. Car drivers also have to think about paying for car parking in Grimsby and Cleethorpes which may encourage rail usage. I'm not against more trains on the Brigg or Barton lines but they should be going to Grimsby / Cleethorpes.

HST43257

Established Member
Barton line is single track mostly! It doesn't justify a limited stopper only one service can use it each hour.

I think:

1tph: Barton to Sheffield via Barnetby via all stations
1tph: Doncaster to Cleethorpes via all stations
Fine keep it all stopping everywhere - I was just thinking on reliability grounds really but it should be fine.
I'm not against more trains on the Brigg or Barton lines but they should be going to Grimsby / Cleethorpes.
This bit is in response to both: I still maintain that it’s better to have 1tph Sheffield to Barnetby via Gainsborough, with half continuing to Barton and the other half continuing to Cleethorpes. It’s a sufficient service and it doesn’t need to involve the Scunthorpe terminator. It’s just a bit of a waste to need extra diagrams to extend that. Also Barton should keep its 1tp2h Grimsby & Cleethorpes service.

Status
Not open for further replies.