• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If there was a second wave, what would you do if you were in power?

What would you do if there was a second wave?

• Another full national lockdown, with same restrictions as those imposed in March

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Series of strict local lockdowns targeting the worst affected areas

Votes: 22 20.4%
  • A less strict version of a national lockdown with schools and more businesses remaining open

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • An alternative version of a lockdown focused on restricting travel rather than closing businesses

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Close only a handful of businesses which are likely to generate crowds

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Require citizens at risk to shield again for some time, while everything else goes on as normal

Votes: 48 44.4%
  • Do nothing, and just tell everyone to get on with it!

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Lockdown extends the lives of some - mostly elderly - people, yes. It's also enjoyed by middle class people with gardens, jobs that can be done at home, and space for homeworking.

But this is at the huge expense of mental health, particularly among young people, the livelihoods of many people especially those who work in lower income jobs, and the future aspirations and development of young people.

The idea that the choice is between "lives" (actually of predominantly older people) versus merely "money" (actually livelihoods and mental health of younger or poorer people) is utterly absurd and demonstrates a lack of the wider issues at stake.

Btw - that is one problem about lockdown as you rightly stated. The fact that sadly some teenagers attempted or have managed to commit suicide. That's why I believe lockdown should become a lest resort thing, but in the case we are back in when we where during March and April period, then unfortunately it's the only way to delay the spread and save the lives of many.

bramling

Veteran Member
If that relates to the Oxford vaccine, that's deeply unhelpful, and utterly absurd.

I agree it’s unhelpful, but given how confidence in Johnson is now at absolute rock bottom, can we really honestly blame people for being sceptical and mistrusting anything he does?

The guy couldn’t even look after his own health after all, same in less spectacular circumstances for the health secretary, so why would I take notice of them? Yes I know this is Oxford University not Boris, but ultimately it’s going to be the government organising any vaccination strategy, and people need to have confidence in that government. It’s kind of a bit more serious than a flagship bus.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I agree it’s unhelpful, but given how confidence in Johnson is now at absolute rock bottom, can we really honestly blame people for being sceptical and mistrusting anything he does?
Bozza ain't making the vaccine though (although some people obviously think otherwise!)...

bramling

Veteran Member
Bozza ain't making the vaccine though (although some people obviously think otherwise!)...

I’m not disagreeing, however he (or perhaps others in government) will be advising people to take it.

Lack of confidence in Johnson could turn out to be a real problem. They could always wheel out someone else of course, I’m sure Priti Patel could come out and threaten us all with indefinite detention for not taking a vaccine shot!

Jonny

Established Member
I’m not disagreeing, however he (or perhaps others in government) will be advising people to take it.

Lack of confidence in Johnson could turn out to be a real problem. They could always wheel out someone else of course, I’m sure Priti Patel could come out and threaten us all with indefinite detention for not taking a vaccine shot!

Which cannot be enforced using the current lockdown/closure/face covering powers (they would likely need an act of Parliament in fact), as discussed on other threads. It is much easier to say that it's down to people not having the vaccine; encouragement to shield should still be given high priority though.

talldave

Established Member

I can just picture the scene in hundreds of hospitals, clinics and surgeries across the UK as patients roll up their sleeves for their Boris Booster: "Now, you might feel a small prick...."

trebor79

Established Member
No lockdown in South Korea because there was no need to - they had effective trace and tracking systems, and cases were nowhere near as bad as in Europe. Man, I wish Europe (including the UK) would be like South Korea.

No lockdown in Sweden because all the Swedish government cared about was the economy and nothing else.
Right. But you said a lockdown was "the only" method of controlling the virus. It isn't. All these places have have avoided or halted exponential growth in cases without lockdowns.
I wish some other governments had cared a little more about the economy. There is no balance in what's being done.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Right. But you said a lockdown was "the only" method of controlling the virus. It isn't. All these places have have avoided or halted exponential growth in cases without lockdowns.
I wish some other governments had cared a little more about the economy. There is no balance in what's being done.

No, I said lockdown is the only method of controlling the virus if cases and deaths are so high that something needs to be done to halt the spread. If we can avoid lockdown, then I don't see why not.

talldave

Established Member
No, I said lockdown is the only method of controlling the virus if cases and deaths are so high that something needs to be done to halt the spread. If we can avoid lockdown, then I don't see why not.
How high is so high?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Whilst this may be a good thing, the problem is that you are spreading to others who are more vulnerable without even knowing it.
Which makes an elimination strategy impracticable!

Surely we should therefore learn to live with the virus?
"We have all got to learn to live with this virus, to do our business with this virus in our presence, to have social relations with this virus in our presence and not to be continuously having to be in lockdown because of the widespread infections that can occur," Mr Nabarro added.

FQTV

Following four cases of community transmission, the Prime Minister of New Zealand has announced that Auckland is going back into lockdown.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced Auckland will go into lockdown and the rest of the country will go into level 2. It comes after four cases of community transmission were confirmed - after 102 days without any. As of noon tomorrow, Auckland will move to level 3 for three days until midnight on Friday.

Richard Scott

Established Member
We can live with the virus only if it's no worse than normal flu.
We need to learn to live with it or we are going to end up with far worse issues such as mental health issues, a population with reduced education, reduced productivity so wealth of country (which remember helps fund the NHS) and people with other medical issues being ignored. When are you going to realise that this virus is not the only thing on the agenda? The reason we can't move forward is due to this. Country and its politicians need to get a grip on reality.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Following four cases of community transmission, the Prime Minister of New Zealand has announced that Auckland is going back into lockdown.

"Act as if you have Covid, and as though people around you have Covid."

Dear goodness, my wife has family over in New Zealand and she is wondering if she'll ever see them again. Their PM seems grimly determined to keep them hostage until the virus is literally eradicated, which it will never be. This is what happens when politicians play at science, and set themselves impossible targets.

trebor79

Established Member
We can live with the virus only if it's no worse than normal flu.
"Normal flu" killed tens of millions in the Spanish flu epidemic. That flu strain is just one of those that still circulates to this day. Spanish Flu had a death rate way higher than Covid19.
This coronavirus is no worse than "normal flu", in fact if you include all the asymptomatic cases it's probably considerably less deadly.
We need to learn to live with it or we are going to end up with far worse issues such as mental health issues, a population with reduced education, reduced productivity so wealth of country (which remember helps fund the NHS) and people with other medical issues being ignored. When are you going to realise that this virus is not the only thing on the agenda? The reason we can't move forward is due to this. Country and its politicians need to get a grip on reality.
100% agree.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator

I've got a bad feeling this may be Sturgeon's approach. Once she's eliminated it, one case pops up and the area is suddenly locked down with everything closed. This is such an impractical and unsustainable approach, we must learn to live with this virus, and right now we're just not doing that.

DB

But surely we've been repeatedly told on here that NZ has eradicated it, and we need to follow their model?!

It does rather demonstrate though that if a country miles from anywhere, with a small population, can't eradicate it even with closed borders then it's futile to try...

Richard Scott

Established Member
But surely we've been repeatedly told on here that NZ has eradicated it, and we need to follow their model?!

It does rather demonstrate though that if a country miles from anywhere, with a small population, can't eradicate it even with closed borders then it's futile to try...
Like many of us have said!!

Status
Not open for further replies.