• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If tracks buckle

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanneparis

If railway tracks buckle in the heat does this mean:

1 Trains cannot use them at all, or they can use them at much reduced speed
2 The tracks need to be replaced to repair them, or they can be left until temperatures drop back down and they will straighten
3 How do hotter countries cope with the temperature differences between cold and very hot?

Thanks for any help - just interested.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Depends on the damage. Sometimes its an instant repair, sometimes you will be cautioned over the effected area.

In hotter countries they use different steel to make the tracks.

daikilo

Established Member
The stressing of the track will be adjusted to the relevant temperatures.

When temperatures rise to or above the temperature for which the track has been stressed speed restrictions will be applied and ultimately operations will stop. One buckling occurs, operation will be stopped. To use an already buckled track can lead to the buckle worsening.

It is possible that a significant drop in temperature could lead to the track unbuckling itself but the lateral resistance would no longer be there hence remedial work will be needed before operations can restart.

suzanneparis

Thanks very much all of you that was interesting. Just one thing. I didn't quite understand the different steel in hotter countries comment. Are you saying that the useful temperature range of that steel is extended upwards without affecting the minimum useful temperature?

Presumably with global warming we need to plan ahead in these matters.

snowball

Established Member
Thanks very much all of you that was interesting. Just one thing. I didn't quite understand the different steel in hotter countries comment. Are you saying that the useful temperature range of that steel is extended upwards without affecting the minimum useful temperature?
I think he's saying the opposite. Some countries will have higher maximum temperatures but hopefully they'll also have higher minimumum temperatures.

If you adjust the rail for higher temperatures in Britain I imagine the danger is that it will be under such high tension in cold weather that rails may break.

WatcherZero

Established Member
There are other things you can do, painting them white helps reflect light and stop them getting as hot, and in colder countries they have gas heaters or electric heaters blowing warm air over the tracks sometimes not just on points but on sections of regular track too.

suzanneparis

So are you saying that in hotter countries they have a higher maximum temperature but also a higher minimum temperature.

Is it possible for that to be dealt with by installing the track at a different ambient temperature and adjusting the gaps between rails (I think? they don't use fishplates anymore) ? Which sort of begs the question of how rails are installed world wide due to temperature fluctuations when they are installed.

Hearadh

So are you saying that in hotter countries they have a higher maximum temperature but also a higher minimum temperature.

Is it possible for that to be dealt with by installing the track at a different ambient temperature and adjusting the gaps between rails (I think? they don't use fishplates anymore) ? Which sort of begs the question of how rails are installed world wide due to temperature fluctuations when they are installed.
The part of Italy I visit in the north east the rails are of a much heavier gauge to withstand the heat. Never experienced heat related TSR''s even in shade temp. of 100+f. It's anybody 's guess as to the rail temperature in the blazing sun.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
All sorts of technical issues ....depth of ballast shoulders , de-stressing , etc. All of which is done in the UK of course by the track supervisors. Points can be a problem with expansion affecting mechanical etc interlocking. Jointed track gets the fishplates removed before the hot weather , oiled and greased , to allow for the hot weather expansion.

Only an ex operator replying.

Mind you I have seen a section of track flip and buckle in advance of my train - we stopped short and passed it with extreme caution at 3 mph.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think he's saying the opposite. Some countries will have higher maximum temperatures but hopefully they'll also have higher minimumum temperatures.
I'm not sure about this; there are parts of the world with a humid continental climate that have a significant temperature variation between the seasons and are hotter than the UK in Summer and colder than the UK in winter. This includes notable locations with working railway networks in locations such as the north-east of the USA, eastern Europe, Russia and Japan.

hooverboy

On Moderation

Presumably with global warming we need to plan ahead in these matters.

lets put it this way. if you can remember back to basic physics at school.
metals expand at different rates versus temperature.

likewise with alloys.

some countries have to deal with extreme temperature changes on a regular basis..lets say mid west usa as an example.
year round you will be looking at track temp from -20C to +40C, so you pick your metal/alloy to have the smallest amount of thermal expansion/contraction
..compared to say UK which would be typically -10 to +30C.

it's a bit basic,because there are other parameters like tension/torsion/stress/fatigue/hardness to take into account, but that is the "nuts and bolts" of it.
throwing "contaminants" into the mix of steel changes the way it behaves over temperature.

you could probably design a rail that will work over massive temperature ranges,but you actually need a bit of flexibility and "give" in the rail to make it durable.....ever seen how a plane wing works?
it's very bendy when you fly...and can easily cope with ground and air temps -40C to +40C(I know they are aluminium or composites before someone says!)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’ve been waiting for this thread.

Heat related speed restrictions for track reasons (usually the risk of rail buckles) are usually only ever imposed on sections of track that have recently had work carried out that disturbs the ballast, and/or where welded rail has not been correctly stressed, and/or (more rarely) where the records of less recent work have not been properly updated.

For track in good condition that has not been worked on recently, the shade air temp would need to be over 40C for heat speed restrictions to be imposed on the Network Rail network. This has never happened.

Where work has been done, heat speed restrictions only need to be in place once the rail has reached a certain temperature (the critical rail temperature, CRT) and this varies depending on a number of factors including the type of work, the type of track, its condition, curvature, Sleeper spacing, ballast provision, cross section of rail, the amount of tonnage that has travelled on the track since the work was complete; plus the time of year and how much cloud cover there is (a sunny day in June adds 15-17C above ambient to the rail temp, a cloudy day in December adds nothing). The type of steel doesn’t come into it.

Typically the CRT is reached around lunchtime, and stays there until 1800 or so. Restrictions are often boarded just for the applicable time, however some sites are too difficult to access with the speed boards without closing the line, so the boards are put in overnight when hot temperatures are forecast.

If there are a number of such sites along a section of track, then it may be too complex to put up speed restriction boards for each one, therefore a ‘blanket’ speed applies from the start of the first one to the end of the last. This can be extensive.

All other countries have exactly the same issue, as the laws of physics do not respect political boundaries. What is different is how other railway systems manage it. Many use similar systems to Network Rail. IIRC, SNCF stress their track 2C higher than ours (29 v 27) as their temperatures are warmer. They routinely have heat speed restrictions as well, including on the high speed lines and (for example) the Paris RER system.

Some of the hotter countries, with more predictable hot weather, manage the issue by simply not doing any work to their tracks in May-August, except in an emergency. Thus no need for speed restrictions when it invariably gets hot. This does mean that there is a lot of expensive kit and people stood around doing nothing for a third of the year though.

Some other countries just accept that they will get more buckles in summer and/or more broken rails in winter, with consequential losses. Anecdotally, some US railroads fall into this category.

In this country, our hot weather periods are rather variable. Therefore NR takes the ‘risk’ of doing works that might need a speed restriction in the heat. When a hot spell is forecast, NR will stop all but the most critical track work, however there will still be sites worked on for up to a month previously that have the potential for speed restrictions. Nevertheless, well over 90% of the track work done in any typical summer does not result in a heat speed restriction.

Domh245

Established Member
I too would like to thank Bald Rick for that very informative post. I'm intrigued as to why/how disturbing the ballast affects the thermal properties of the track, does it reduce the effective thermal conductivity of the track system and prevent the use of the ground as a heatsink?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I too would like to thank Bald Rick for that very informative post. I'm intrigued as to why/how disturbing the ballast affects the thermal properties of the track, does it reduce the effective thermal conductivity of the track system and prevent the use of the ground as a heatsink?
I would imagine this is because disturbing the ballast reduces its ability to resist further movement, making it more likely that the forces in the rails will be able to push the sleepers out of place.

Trackbedjolly

In CWR the rails are in contact with the air, the clips that hold them onto the sleepers and the sleepers themselves. There are rubber pads under the rails so there is minimal heat transfer into the sleepers let alone into the ground. The situation may be different where steel sleepers are in use and jointed rail is a different matter altogether.
The ballast shoulder can be augmented to help restrain the tendency of the rails to move.
I once went out to see a site and the Section Supervisor was with me. He took the opportunity to take the rail temperatures on both sides i.e. sunny and shady. He used special thermometers which fitted onto the rail web. The air temp was maybe mid 20s Celsius but the rail temp was 35/35 Celsius i.e. the same on both sides.

suzanneparis

Many many thanks Bald Rick. Very informative.

There was an article in our newspaper today about this. And it discussed tensioning the track. And that sometimes they cut pieces out of the track and reweld??!!

I just discovered that the greatest temperature variation in one place during a 24 hour period was in Browning USA and was 56 degrees Centigrade. Goodness knows how rail track could cope with such an event.

Last edited:

thaitransit

Track buckles are a pain of train travel in the summer time. Most cases it means a temporary speed restriction is put in place around the buckle until its fixed. In extreme cases it means bus replacement of train services.

Generally the heat speed restrictions come into force on days with temperatures over 33 degrees on timber sleepered tracks and 37 degrees on concrete sleepered tracks.

On timber sleepered tracks its a 40kph speed restriction and a 80 kph restriction on concrete sleepered tracks. Dual guage tracks is 40kph due higher risk of derailing.

In some areas this can mean months of heat speed restrictions from either 10am or 12pm to 8pm daily. Thus afternoon trains are delayed more often .

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The cutting of tracks that I mentioned was specifically relating to heat problems.
After rail is laid, before being welded up it is usually "stretched" by special jacks by a calculated amount that depends on the temperature at the time. Thus when it is clipped and welded in place it is under tension, but if the temperature rises the rail tries to expand which reduces the stress in it, until at the "stress free temperature" (27degC on Network Rail as mentioned) it will be, er, free of stress. Above that it goes into compression.

On occasion, if the job runs out of time, the stressing may not take place so the gang will need to come back, calculate how much it needs stretching by and cut that much out of the rail. They then pull and weld the ends together and stretch it. Until this is done the rail will be specially vulnerable to buckling so particularly likely to have speed restrictions if it gets too warm.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Many many thanks Bald Rick. Very informative.

There was an article in our newspaper today about this. And it discussed tensioning the track. And that sometimes they cut pieces out of the track and reweld??!!

I just discovered that the greatest temperature variation in one place during a 24 hour period was in Browning USA and was 56 degrees Centigrade. Goodness knows how rail track could cope with such an event.

Almost all Continuosly Welded Rsil (CWR) is ‘tensioned’ or more specifically stressed. In this country, when it is installed, it is pulled (stressed) by hydraulic jacks to a length that it would be naturally if it was at a temperature of 27C (known as the Stress Free Temperature, SFT). This is a simple calculation, based on the rail temperature at installation, the length of rail being installed, and the coefficient of expansion of steel. While the jacks and clamps hold the stressed rail in place, it is then clipped down, and the ends welded to existing rail. The weld cools and gets sufficient strength very quickly.

Thereafter, if the rail temperature is below 27C, it is effectively under tension without moving as the steel tries to contract but can’t; the colder it gets the more stress is in the rail. When rail temperatures get below about -5C the increased stress leads to a higher chance of broken rails, as rail defects are effectively weak points in the rail and the stress can overcome them. This is why broken rails are more prevalent in cold spells.

If the rail temperature is over 27C, then the rail is effectively in compresssion, as it is trying to expand but can’t. The rest of the track system (clips, sleepers, ballast) hold it in the correct position. When it gets very hot, the steel wants to expand so much that the forces will eventually find a weak spot, usually on a curve or geometry defect, and the rail will expand to the outside of the curve, ie a buckle. For good track that has not been worked on, the risk of this happening increases when the rail temperature is 32C higher than the SFT or more. That is 59C for properly stressed track, and that means a shade air temperature of 41C in high summer, which we have never had in this country.

The issue with heat speed restrictions occurs when the SFT is lower than 27C. This can only be because it was installed at a lower rail temperature and has not been fully stressed, or the stress is not known. Added this, can be some other characteristic of the track system that means the track does not have the usual level of restraint (typically ballast that is not consolidated, but can also be missing ballast, wide sleeper spacing, tight curves, type of track components, and many other factors). Occasionally records are missing in which case you have to assume the worst case for the given site until the stress can be tested. A simple calculation of all the applicable factors, along with the SFT, gives you a Critical Rail Tempersture (CRT), which when reached means some action must be taken:

1) a watchman is deployed to maintain constant vigilance on the section of track concerned, who can report to the signaller immediately there is any sign of track movement. This is known as the CRT (W).

2) a little warmer, and a 30/60 (30 for freight, 60 for passenger) speed restriction is imposed. This is CRT 30/60.

3) warmer still and a 20mph restriction must be imposed. This is CRT20, and the most restrictive action short of blocking the line.

The speed restrictions do two things, a) reduce the forces on the rail, particularly the force on the inside of a curve as a train takes it, and b) reduces the consequences of a derailment if one occurs.

The worst case for CRTs is installing new track on a frosty April night, followed by a warm sunny day. This can easily lead to an ambient temperature swing of getting on for 30C, with a rail temperature swing of 40C or more. That is a guaranteed CRT20 speed restriction, sometimes even if the rail is stressed.

Reputationally even worse is installing new track on a very cold late Feb, early March night, followed by a sunny day. If the rail isn’t stressed on the night of installing (which often happens), then you can get a ‘heat’ speed restriction with the ambient temperature barely above freezing. That takes some explaining to the Ops team.

Finally, re cutting sections of rail out. That’s not usually done here except in a couple of unusual circumstances.

Firstly, if the weather warms up quickly during rail installation then it is quite possible that the rail will ‘grow’ by several hundred millimetre post installation, and it will need cutting again to get it to fit before stressing. (It is not usual practice to install new rail above 27C or so unless it is an emergency, but the weather can catch you out. I had one job where we had to cut it two or three times; it then cooled quickly and it shrank too much!)

Secondly there are a handful of locations around the country that need different rails for ‘summer’ and ‘winter’ - swing bridges. The size of the swing bridge is (hopefully!) fixed, but the rails will expand / contract. Therefore to meet the tolerances necessary to get everything new to fit and swing, slightly shorter rails are installed from around Easter to October. But the temperature makes them roughly the same length as the winter rails in colder temps, if you see what I mean.

Last edited:

The Lad

Excellent description, how do you establish the SFT of an existing site or do you have to cut it?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for the fascinating replies @Bald Rick and others.

So is recent works the reason why New Malden and some line section of line between Euston and Milton Keynes have speed restrictions but not other parts of the south east?

The disruption notice for Euston to Milton Keynes doesn't mention Southern, so is it south of Wilesden Junction?

I find this type of discussion fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.