• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you could create any direct services which currently don’t run which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sdrennan

All stops Wick to Penzance.
can I suggest we have a connection at inverness from Kyle of Lochalsh then go via Aberdeen down east coast main line to London and around North London line to GWR line. Split with a section to Penzance and the other to Looe.

all stops.

love to know how long that would take on a 158

Berneylegs

Which way?

Diversionary routes when the following stations are closed for engineering works:

Aviemore
Elgin
Carlisle
Chathill
Chorley
Ruabon
Pontefract Baghill
Leicester
Diss
Sugar Loaf
Worle
Clapham Junction
Honiton

Martin_1981

My main one would be Lincoln to Yeovil, as follows:

Lincoln Central, Newark Castle, Nottingham, Beeston, Loughborough, Leicester, Hinckley, Nuneaton, Bedworth, Coventry, Leamington Spa, Banbury, Oxford, Didcot Parkway, Swindon, Chippenham, Melksham, Westbury, Castle Cary, Yeovil Pen Mill.

Train divides at Yeovil Pen Mill and proceeds as follows:

One portion continues to Weymouth calling at Dorchester West and Weymouth.
The other portion continues to Exeter St Davids calling at Yeovil Junction, Crewkerne, Axminster, Honiton, Exeter Central and Exeter St Davids.

Other services I would like to create:

Barnstaple to London Waterloo (via Exeter, Yeovil, Salisbury).
Plymouth to Portsmouth (via Exeter, Yeovil, Salisbury, Southampton).
Penzance to Brighton (via Exeter, Yeovil, Salisbury, Southampton, Chichester)
Exeter to Bournemouth calling at Exeter Central, Honiton, Axminster, Crewkerne, Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Dorchester, Wareham, Poole.
Shrewsbury to Salisbury calling at Wolverhampton, Birmingham NS, Solihull, Leamington Spa, Banbury, Oxford, Didcot Parkway, Swindon, Chippenham, Westbury, Warminster, Salisbury.

Thunderer

South Wales has no direct service to the far North or Scotland anymore, so I would dearly love to see a daily Swansea-Newcastle (via Leeds) and return restored, plus a daily Swansea/Cardiff (via Preston) to Glasgow and Edinburgh and a daily return. It was a bad move by the DAfT chopping off the WCML and Liverpool from XC. Loosing direct services between major cities only encourages more passengers onto the roads and airlines and Cardiff itself has grown substantially in the last ten years and is set to grow even more with planning for a further 250,000 houses to the North of the City on the table for approval. Despite what all DAfT Government Officials think, not everyone wants to travel to London.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Would require some reinstated track, but:
1. St. Helens Central - St. Helens Jn - Manchester - Leeds - York

2. Manchester - Matlock - Derby, then alternately to Nottingham & Lincoln, or Leicester & St. Pancras.

Agree with above suggestion for Liverpool to have services going beyond Birmingham.

bnm

Established Member
Crewkerne to Llandudno

Why? Because the first is my local station and the second is where I plan to go later this year. Not having to change trains would be perfect.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Glasgow Central - Swansea/Abertawe calling at Motherwell, Carlisle, Preston, Warrington Bank Quay, Hartford, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Hereford, Abergavenny, Newport (Gwent), Cardiff Central/General, Bridgend/Pen-y-Bont, Port Talbot Parkway, Neath/Castell-neadd, and Swansea/Abertawe.

Also Liverpool Lime Street - Bristol Temple Meads calling at Edge Hill, Huyton, St Helens Junction, Earlestown, Warrington Bank Quay, Hartford, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Hereford, Abergavenny, Severn Tunnel Junction, Patchway, Filton Abbey Wood, and Bristol Temple Meads.

Both of the above would run every 2 hours, which would provide a combined frequency of every 60 minutes between Warrington Bank Quay and Abergavenny.

SteveyBee131

Just thought of another couple. The first has echoes of one that used to happen, the second, I don't think it did but would be cool!

Cleethorpes to Pwllheli and Aberystwyth via Lincoln, Newark Castle, Nottingham, Derby, Birmingham New Street, Shrewsbury etc (with Aberystwyth portion dividing at Machynlleth) (once upon a time there was a Grimsby Town to Barmouth, I don't know exactly when or how often, but Central Trains ran it).

Cleethorpes and Hull to Llandudno and Holyhead, via Doncaster (where portions join, then), Sheffield, Hope Valley, Manchester Piccadilly, Helsby, Chester etc, dividing at Llandudno Junction.

Berneylegs

Crewkerne to Llandudno

Why? Because the first is my local station and the second is where I plan to go later this year. Not having to change trains would be perfect.

Calling at Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Westbury, Bath Spa, Cwmbran, Hereford, Shrewsbury, Wrexham Central, Chester, Rhyl, Llandudno Junction, Llandudno.

SteveyBee131

Just thought of another couple. The first has echoes of one that used to happen, the second, I don't think it did but would be cool!

Cleethorpes to Pwllheli and Aberystwyth via Lincoln, Newark Castle, Nottingham, Derby, Birmingham New Street, Shrewsbury etc (with Aberystwyth portion dividing at Machynlleth) (once upon a time there was a Grimsby Town to Barmouth, I don't know exactly when or how often, but Central Trains ran it).

Cleethorpes and Hull to Llandudno and Holyhead, via Doncaster (where portions join, then), Sheffield, Hope Valley, Manchester Piccadilly, Helsby, Chester etc, dividing at Llandudno Junction.

EDIT: I seem to remember hearing somewhere about Hull to Holyhead services in the Regional Railways era, so it partly happened, just maybe a different way round!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree, particularly if it called at Bushey, Harrow & Wealdstone, Wembley Central and Queen's Park too, speeding up WCML Inners and truncating the Southern WLL to Tring, eliminating Tring stoppers.

There used to be token early-morning services which stopped on the WCML platforms at Queen's Park, but are there any more? I don't believe there are but I'd be curious to see timings of such a service.

Why truncate the Southern to Tring? It's well used north of that as well, not least by me. There is nothing wrong with having Tring stoppers, they load well. There would be a good argument for lopping the Bushey and Harrow stops from the MKC stoppers though if this was added, though that said lopping Harrow would reduce connectivity with LO from north of Watford.

bnm

Established Member
Calling at Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Westbury, Bath Spa, Cwmbran, Hereford, Shrewsbury, Wrexham Central, Chester, Rhyl, Llandudno Junction, Llandudno.

I'd prefer to go this way:

Crewkerne, Yeovil Junction, Salisbury, Basingstoke, Woking, Clapham Junction, Kensington Olympia, (Willesden Junction), Milton Keynes Central, Stafford, Crewe, Chester, Llandudno Junction, Llandudno.

superalbs

Established Member
A service that goes to every station in alphabetical order, and return, so that nobody is left out.

Essan

London/Oxford to Birmingham NS via Evesham. Hourly service. Change at Worcester SH for Hereford.

Would make life easier for me :D

Or, if I still lived in Ipswich, a resurrection of the Harwich to Glasgow boat train :) Which I think I only caught a couple of times.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Did you know that Kent is the only home county without direct trains to Gatwick Airport? I would certainly introduce some

I would definitely bring back the services which used to run to Reading too

PeterC

Established Member
The one that I always wanted to use as a teenager but was never in London late enough. The 04:35 Liverpool Street to Norwich which called at Romford, Brentwood and Ingatestone.
Come to that quite a few overnight services, all of which were killed off by the loss of newspaper and mail traffic.

Name them!
Part 1
Using a map..

Wick, Georgemas Junction, Thurso, Georgemas Junction, Scotscalder, Altnabreac, Forsinard, Kinbrace, Kildonan, Helmsdale, Brora, Dunrobin Castle, Golspie, Rogart, Lairg, Invershin, Culrain, Ardgay, Tain, Fearn, Invergordon, Alness, Dingwall, Conon Bridge, Muir of Ord, Beauly, Inverness, Carrbridge, Aviemore, Kingussie, Newtonmore, Dalwhinnie, Blair Atholl, Pitlochry, Dunkeld & Birnam, Perth, Gleneagles, Dunblane, Bridge of Allan, Stirling, Larbert, Camelon, Falkirk Grahamston, Polmont, Linlithgow...

Part 2
... Edinburgh Park, Haymarket, Edinburgh, Musselburgh, Wallyford, Prestonpans, Longniddry, Drem, Dunbar, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Chathill, Alnmouth, Acklinton, Widdrington, Pegswood, Morpeth, Cramlinton, Manors, Newcastle, Chester-le-Street, Durham, Darlington, Northallerton, Thirsk, York, Ullekself, Church Fenton, Micklefield, East Garforth, Garforth, Cross Gates, Leeds, Outwood, Sandal & Agbrigg, Fitzwillam, Moorthorpe, Thurnscoe, Goldthorpe, Bolton-upon-Dearne...

Part 3
... Swinton, Rotherham Central, Meadowhall, Sheffield, Dronfield, Chesterfield, Belper, Duffield, Derby, Peartree, Willington, Burton-on-Trent, Tamworth, Wilnecote, Water Orton, Birmingham New Street, Five Ways, University, Selly Oak, Bournville, Kings Norton, Northfield, Longbridge, Barnt Green, Bromsgrove, Droitwich Spa, Worcester Shrub Hill, Ashchurch for Tewkesbury, Cheltenham Spa, Cam & Dursley, Yate, Bristol Parkway, Filton Abbey Wood, Stapleton Road, Lawrence Hill, Bristol Temple Meads, Bedminster, Parson Street, Nailsea & Backwell...

Last edited:

Part 4
... Yatton, Worle, Weston Milton, Weston-super-Mare, Highbridge & Burnham, Bridgwater, Taunton, Tiverton Parkway, Exeter St Davids, Exeter St Thomas, Starcross, Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Totnes, Ivybridge, Plymouth, Devonport, Dockyard, Keyham, St Budeaux Ferry Road, Saltash, St Germans, Menheniot, Liskeard, Bodmin Parkway, Lostwithiel, Par, St Austell, Truro, Redruth, Camborne, Hayle, St Erth and Penzance.

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Part 4
... Yatton, Worle, Highbridge & Burnham, Bridgwater, Taunton, Tiverton Parkway, Exeter St Davids, Exeter St Thomas, Starcross, Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Totnes, Ivybridge, Plymouth, Devonport, Dockyard, Keyham, St Budeaux Ferry Road, Saltash, St Germans, Menheniot, Liskeard, Bodmin Parkway, Lostwithiel, Par, St Austell, Truro, Redruth, Camborne, Hayle, St Erth and Penzance.

Why not Weston Milton and Weston-super-Mare too? ;)

SteveyBee131

Part 3
... Swinton, Meadowhall, Sheffield, Dronfield, Chesterfield, Belper, Duffield, Derby, Peartree, Willington, Burton-on-Trent, Tamworth, Wilnecote, Water Orton, Birmingham New Street, Five Ways, University, Selly Oak, Bournville, Kings Norton, Northfield, Longbridge, Barnt Green, Bromsgrove, Ashchurch for Tewkesbury, Cheltenham Spa, Cam & Dursley, Yate, Bristol Parkway, Filton Abbey Wood, Stapleton Road, Lawrence Hill, Bristol Temple Meads, Bedminster, Parson Street, Nailsea & Backwell...

Could also go to Rotherham Central too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.