• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you could travel back in time, what service would you like to travel on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannypye9999

If a time machine ever gets invented which you could go back in time and you are given just one train service to travel on which would it be? For me it would be the late 1980's a loco hauled set of mk1's from Euston to Pwllheli on summer friday nights, departing about 23:30 and arriving at 06:00.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leylandlad

Would have fancied a run on the closed part of the Callander and Oban.

The views coming down Glen Ogle looking over to Loch Earn were amazing apparently.

Or for real opulence, a trip in the Club coach on the Windermere to Manchester through train....1920s/30s think it was.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
Not sure if it counts (as it was only just a 'service') but a pre-production APT-P run on the WCML - unique and unrepeatable.

Otherwise a blast up the LSWR mainline behind a class 33 on a Poole - Reading 1970's XC train. First coach behind the loco, windows open, full throttle all the way :)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Neath - Brecon , followed by Brecon - Merthyr - in daylight of course.....

(I have 4 year old memories of Brecon station - no trains on visit - this being a day out to relatives and managed to get a quick look down there. Staff were lovely and apologetic - but all happened at a few times a day) - never mind. Poor sods were out of a job at year end.....

Strathclyder

Established Member
The Glasgow Subway before it's 1977 closure & modernization.

That, and a ride on the Bennie Railplane in Milngavie.

swcovas

If a time machine ever gets invented which you could go back in time and you are given just one train service to travel on which would it be? For me it would be the late 1980's a loco hauled set of mk1's from Euston to Pwllheli on summer friday nights, departing about 23:30 and arriving at 06:00.

Could name lots in Wales but as you stipulate just one for me it has to be Newport-Dowlais Top-Brecon in around 1960. Preferably on a sunny winter's day with snow on the mountains and a pannier tank up front.

Bodiddly

The 17.40 Glasgow QS to Fort Bill in mid-summer circa 1984 with a steam heat split box 37 and the fantastic views across the Rannoch Moor as the evening light fades! Also, the excitement of this train in winter with the steam climbing up the side of a compo mk1, and the train being practically empty apart from the bashers!
Ahh, good times!

Bill Stanier

Manchester to Liverpool c.1830 on an open coach behind a 'Planet' loco.

On the Midland Pullman thought the Peak District, Peak Forest, Millers dale, Monsall Dale etc.

Behind a 9F on the S&D, Bath to Bournemouth with Don Beale and Pete Smith on the footplate (better yet, to share the shovel with Pete!).

Electric hauled over Woodhead. Both ways.

Macclesfield to Uttoxeter on the Churnet Valley line.

Waterhouses to Hulme End on the Leek & Manifold.

Mugby

Established Member
No contest for me, A Great Central service all the way from Marylebone to Sheffield and Manchester!

LewFinnis

East Kent Light Railway in Col. Stephens's day. Eccentricity at its best by all accounts!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Any given branch line c1985, to see all the punters so happy with their new train when a pacer / 'skipper' turns up.

Hellfire

The Atlantic Coast Express with that final leg into Padstow the highlight of the journey.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The Night Scotsman. And up the Great Central to Scotland. Wouldn't mind a few mixed passenger goods trains.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Crikey this is a difficult decision! I would like to have a ride from Worcester to New Radnor (via Leominster and Kington) prior to the 1950s closure.

No doubt plenty of other bits, but a ride on my local line would have been nice!

MK Tom

Established Member
The GCR from Rugby to Nottingham in 1968 on a class 101. I can kind of still do the Belgrave to Loughborough section I guess!

Wolverton to Newport Pagnell behind an Ivatt tank would be another.

NSE

Established Member
Struggling to find a specific route. So many :P but it would have to be something Network South East. I'm thinking Victoria to Brighton on Slammers

Drsatan

Established Member
Waterloo to Weymouth behind an unrebuilt Bulleid Pacific, preferably sat in one of his composite coaches. Failing that, a trip behind one of Urie's S15s.

Alternatively, I'd happily travel on Paddington-Penzance express in the 1950s, hauled by a Castle or King class locomotive.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Somerset and Dorset line 1960

Waverley route around same time.

Taunton - Ifracombe.

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
A few of my choices have already been taken...

Nottingham Victoria to Marylebone.
Manchester through the Peak District.
Woodhead.
Swansea Victoria north up the Clyne Valley.
Was there once a Nottingham to Derby passenger route over the Bennerley Viaduct?
Finally, although I don't think it was part of the main railway network (tell me if I'm wrong), I'd have loved to travel from Swansea to Mumbles on the Mumbles Railway.

Traction wouldn't matter to me on any of the above.

Tom2521

Paddington to Shrewsbury behind a Castle and on to Barmouth behind a Manor on the Cambrian Coast Express in the 1950's.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The Atlantic Coast Express with that final leg into Padstow the highlight of the journey.

Ooo yes not thought of that.

Elgin-Penzance on BR diesel loco hauled stock

GWR cross country behind a Castle - something like Wolverhampton to Penzance via Stratford, Cheltenham and Bristol.

Dave1954

On Moderation
The Bristol TM to Glasgow/Edinburgh , peak to Birmingham and a roarer to the North, MK 1 Carriages and a whole compartment to myself , Lovely 10 hours .
regards Dave1954 .

bnm

Established Member
1950s Pines Express from Bournemouth West to Manchester Mayfield via the SDJR.

Status
Not open for further replies.