• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you designed your own DMU, what would it be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

222ben

Hi there
Just want to know if anyone has designed their own DMU/Emu type in their spare time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emblematic

Mine would be like this:
attachment.php

I'm not sure I'm the right man for the job.

Attachments

• ge-jet-train.jpg
    ge-jet-train.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 553

sprinterguy

Established Member
Do they have any design lineage with the DB class 611 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Class_611)?

I've travelled on the latter, and note that the class 610 from which they were derived was built by a consortium involving DUEWAG. They struck me as a cross between the equivalent British class 156 and 158. Not a bad regional unit.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A 210, but with a high quality interior (with my own personal compartment behind the driver's cab at the non-engine end, and in the centre of the DM vehicle). Sometimes you wanna hear the thrash, but sometimes you don't!

southern442

Established Member
I had a few ideas when I was younger:

One was a new Turbostar, the class 174. It would be similar in appearance to the 376 but had plug doors, and would come in 2, 3, 4, and 7 car formations
Another one was the class 160, basically a 4-car 100mph 158. It would be quite powerful and designed for cross country routes like a potential Glasgow-Wick or Swansea-Plymouth.
The third was 2-cars, class 186, and was basically my idea for what could happen to the 373's once their time was up. Obviously they would need modifications (bogies etc.) but they would have a similar interior to before and could be used for branch line or intercity services.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
To be honest the only vehicle that would solve the complete problem of transport in this country would be this...

Doctor-Who-Life-Size-TARDIS-Stand-Up-Cutout.jpg

Bigger on the inside than the outside so plenty of room for commuters. Travels through time and space so it will never be late.

But back to reality...

I would look at designing a modern 158/159.

A DMU with a gangway connection, with high density but comfortable seating that can go virtually anywhere.

The 158s had their issues at the beginning and the air conditioning didn't react well to non CFC refrigerant, but they have proven to be a versatile unit.

I'd make these new units all three car, and they would have to be compatible with the existing sprinter fleet. It's the kind of unit that we need a lot more of on the UK's railways.

Last edited:

I'd go for a modern version of the cl-120 or 124 with power operated doors, retention toilets and the view through the cab

CatfordCat

dunno really - not something I'd thought about.

a standard loading gauge version of a 'Hastings Diesel' might have been good

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hi there
Just want to know if anyone has designed their own DMU/Emu type in their spare time?

Can't say I have, but if you were after an ideal, take a Class 158, fit 8 rather than 9 bodyside windows, and re-space the seating accordingly, using "tombstone" style seating but the original layout modified slightly for RVAR compliance. Put a fancier front end on (but with a gangway) and fit mod cons like working bogs, decent cycle storage, PIS, wifi etc. That'll do nicely.

Sort of what the Class 175 could have been if it wasn't (in an engineering sense) of very poor quality.

Interior: rich, deep colours and fake wood.

Technically, ideally a bi-mode rather than a DMU.

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Mine would be diesel/battery hybrid with regen brakes and 'plug in' or induction charging at stabling or places with long dwell times. Solar panels on the roof for further recharging or to provide ancillary (A/C and lighting etc ) power. Walk through interior, full LED lighting and a lightweight toilet which doesn't require a vast water tank.

superkev

Established Member
For me
Restore the view out of the front and have non tinted big windows so all can see out.
Seats with springs rather than the current planks.
Seats where my knees are not wedged in the one in front.
High ceilings and lowbacked seats for ambience.
Unobtrusive engine noise and air cooling that actually works.
158's as built came close apart from the air con and lack of a front view.
Kev

Up_Tilt_390

For me personally, I'd actually take a Class 68 front and just replace the rest of the diesel with passenger compartments just like any diesel train, the 185 in particular. The wheels would have all the motors, making it a DMU. I've actually made an image of this before, it looks good. I've done it with a Class 37 too, it's really nice to take the front of diesel locos and "multiple unit" them into passenger trains.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
For longer distance / InterCity type work I would probably design something very much like a 175 but with more carriages per unit and deeper windows.

For local and suburban work I think I would go for something very similar to the 172s but with a few detail tweaks.

In both instances the chances are I would create an articulated design.

Minilad

Established Member
For a DMU that would work IC type trains I would put all the underfloor engines in a big metal box that is separate from the passenger accommodation. Could call it something like, I dunno, a locomotive. This would mean the passenger accommodation would be quieter and have less vibrations and therefore much more pleasant for long journeys

sprinterguy

Established Member
For a DMU that would work IC type trains I would put all the underfloor engines in a big metal box that is separate from the passenger accommodation. Could call it something like, I dunno, a locomotive. This would mean the passenger accommodation would be quieter and have less vibrations and therefore much more pleasant for long journeys
Such radical, passenger-centric thinking is verboten on the modern, dynamic, thrusting railway of today. :p

DarloRich

Veteran Member

You could call the things behind the big, noisy metal box "carriages" ;) They could have decent seats in them and tables and widows you could see out of and perhaps a special "carriage" where you could go and get something to eat. I would call that a "buffet" or "restaurant car". Imagine how great that would be on a journey between Edinburgh and Plymouth.

I hope that the people who currently have to push those heavy trolleys that never seem to have any food left on them might be able to transfer to these new "buffets" although it might mean some retraining etc. Hopefully the unions will go for it.

Hang on! Imagine being able to easily add more of these "carriages" to meet demand on busy days. WOW these carriages sound like a great idea. Do they have them in Europe? I bet the Germans have them!

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member

That would only work on our over crowded network if it had the same acceleration curve as a MU and didn't waste platform space (i.e. had the same number of seats as the comparable length MU).

furnessvale

Established Member
For me the only "must have" would be diesel electric transmission with the diesel engine mounted in a power pack that could be easily removed and replaced with an electric power pack for use under the wires as electrification expands.

I suppose passive provision for the pan would save trouble later.

notadriver

Established Member
For me
Restore the view out of the front and have non tinted big windows so all can see out. 158's as built came close apart from the air con and lack of a front view.
Kev

Even when 1st Gen DMUs had a front view drivers often had the blinds down anyway. How would you stop that ?

RepTCTC

Hang on! Imagine being able to easily add more of these "carriages" to meet demand on busy days. WOW these carriages sound like a great idea. Do they have them in Europe? I bet the Germans have them!
Quick! Give CrossCountry a call!

Minilad

Established Member
That would only work on our over crowded network if it had the same acceleration curve as a MU and didn't waste platform space (i.e. had the same number of seats as the comparable length MU).

Oh yes. Because all the IC style DMUs currently running around clogging up our overcrowded network always use all the available platform space don't they!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Instead of the 185, they should have built them as 5 cars of 23m length, end gangways and fitted out above the floor in just the same way as a 444.

Unfortunately Class 144 has already been used for something completely different. They could also have had a Class 244 DEMU and of course the much discussed Class 344 AC EMU to complete the range...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm going to revise my earlier post. I'd use the basic design premise of the 210 but with 3 doors per side- single leaf at vehicle ends with double doors in the centre, and doors between vestibules and saloons. Engines behind both cabs but electric motors on one bogie in each car, including the intermediates. The front end would be styled like a modern version of the old Transpennine units, and rather than windows behind the cabs (the engines would be in the way anyway) screens mounted in seat backs would be linked to forward facing cameras so everyone could have a forward view if they wish. 5-cars, with a buffet/griddle car and a pantograph well and transformer space to allow conversion to EMU or bi-mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.