• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you took over East Midlands Trains, what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I do wonder how many folk making suggestions know the travel patterns of passengers using the currently existing services and what would actually benefit or improve the current services provided.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MG11

Should the Skegness line recieve more of an express service? Thinking about it, Skegness is a fairly large town and is quite a considerable journey from places like Nottingham/Derby yet many travel each way for things like business, work, retail, leisure. If more 156s could be acquired, what about a doubled up 156 between Burton On Trent and Skegness, via Nottingham and calling at only larger destinations like Boston, Derby, Long Eaton, with seat reservations and a refreshment trolley. It would give Skegness more of an express service, in line with other sea side towns i.e. Scarborough and also appease some of the passengers who are unhappy about and I quote "the state of rail travel in Lincolnshire". IIRC, Scotrail are to lose some of their 156s?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Should the Skegness line recieve more of an express service? Thinking about it, Skegness is a fairly large town and is quite a considerable journey from places like Nottingham/Derby yet many travel each way for things like business, work, retail, leisure. If more 156s could be acquired, what about a doubled up 156 between Burton On Trent and Skegness, via Nottingham and calling at only larger destinations like Boston, Derby, Long Eaton, with seat reservations and a refreshment trolley. It would give Skegness more of an express service, in line with other sea side towns i.e. Scarborough and also appease some of the passengers who are unhappy about and I quote "the state of rail travel in Lincolnshire". IIRC, Scotrail are to lose some of their 156s?
No, not except for the 6 week summer holiday period. It really isn't very busy, I brought back 7 passengers yesterday and 3 of those alighted at Wainfleet.

A0wen

On Moderation
Hourly Corby and Oakham to Leicester could potentially be very useful to develop commuter flows into Leicester, opening up more job opportunities and developing the regional economy. Effectively doubling the service between Kettering and Corby/Leicester would also do much to increase the viability of commuting by rail from there too. Oakham also is home to a decent school, which some families in Corby might be interested in sending their children to. Having both London and Leicester-bound connectivity would increase the viability/attractiveness of Corby as a place to live, which is part of a national objective of encouraging growth outside of London.

After a few years of operation, I would expect Corby station in particular to be well used for both directions. In future years, perhaps it might even help build the case for rebuilding/electrifying northwards to Peterborough.

Corby to Oakham and beyond is a non-starter. EMT only run services that way to retain crew knowledge for diversion.

The time penalty of running via Oakham is significant. To give an example Kettering - East Midlands Parkway, via Leicester is a 41 minute journey, via Melton and Oakham is 1h 12m.

Corby to Leicester (with sensible connection times at Kettering) is 45 minutes. Melton to Corby is 35 minutes Melton to Leicester is 15 minutes - so actually slower overall.

Corby to Peterborough *might* be viable IF a south curve at Manton could be put in inexpensively - that was touted as a possible EWR route a long time ago, it would still be a cheaper way to link EWR to the ECML.

People in Corby who want a decent school don't need to look as far as Oakham - both Uppingham and Kettering are closer - in the case of the latter much closer. And Oakham is a long way 'out of county' which is problematic from a school admissions perspective.

A0wen

On Moderation
Liverpool to Norwich has been discussed to death in several threads, but I don’t think it’s speed (or lack of) is entirely down to the Sheffield reversal (that adds on 15 mins). Liverpool - Crewe - Derby - Notts is a nice idea tbh, but I doubt whether it would be much quicker than Liv - Norwich.

One idea for Liverpool - Norwich would be to split it, and sort of as suggested above, it could run Liverpool - Nottingham as a 4 or 6 car unit (ideally a 170/185) and then run Norwich to Leeds/Bradford, which would replace the current Nottingham to Leeds (or supplement it if the capacity is there).

There's no point trying to route anything else down the Hope Valley, it's at capacity, and any new capacity is slipping into the future and may well be nabbed by TPE, so I doubt a Manchester - London via Chesterfield service would ever make it past the crayon stage (and if it did it would have to call at Sheffield, otherwise it would only be providing Manchester to Derby and Leicster, which I doubt justifies a service on such congested lines).

And what do you think are the odds of finding a path across Crewe and down the Potteries line to Stoke are for that particular service?

The problem with such long distance suggestions is the windows they have to cross certain critical junctions is very small - and if they start getting delayed they then screw up a load of other services.

DanTrain

And what do you think are the odds of finding a path across Crewe and down the Potteries line to Stoke are for that particular service?

The problem with such long distance suggestions is the windows they have to cross certain critical junctions is very small - and if they start getting delayed they then screw up a load of other services.
I don’t disagree, but in the same way that the current service has to run Picadilly to Deansgate, as well as into and then out of Sheffield. I’m not saying Crewe would be better, it’s just a different problem.

MG11

I don’t disagree, but in the same way that the current service has to run Picadilly to Deansgate, as well as into and then out of Sheffield. I’m not saying Crewe would be better, it’s just a different problem.
From what I have read on here, trains between Manchester and Sheffield do get quite busy for some reason, I'm not sure how many people travel from Nottingham/CHD/SHF to Liverpool though I'm sure Low Level or another EMT insider could give us an idea.

unlevel42

Now travelling regularly on Saturdays and Sundays at various times I can assure readers that Sheffield to Stockport trains are full and standing from early morning to evening. Reservations in all seats in all carriages is common. Liverpool and Airport trains are equally busy.

DanTrain

From what I have read on here, trains between Manchester and Sheffield do get quite busy for some reason, I'm not sure how many people travel from Nottingham/CHD/SHF to Liverpool though I'm sure Low Level or another EMT insider could give us an idea.
Because they're two of the biggest cities in the country linked by 2tph (compared to 5tph on Leeds - Manchester or Sheffield - Leeds)? I've been told by a regular traveller that the EMTs are generally quieter than the TPEs, but that's probably partly a function of having more capacity and not running to the airport. It would be interesting to know the stats of how many through passengers there are at Sheffield on the EMT - would a Crewe service allieviate overcrowding enough or not?

No, not except for the 6 week summer holiday period. It really isn't very busy, I brought back 7 passengers yesterday and 3 of those alighted at Wainfleet.
Spot on, with the exception of the kids holidays, Easter, summer etc then the trains to and from Skegness are almost empty after Boston to Skeg and from Skeg to Boston on return. On a Sunday at the moment you could quite easy get away with a 153 rather than the 4 car 156/158 on the 14.10 deparure from Skeg and 3 car 156/153 on the 16.10. Admittedly EMT need more stock to strengthen services during the summer as services can be severely overcrowded but that's easier said than done.

Last edited:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Spot on, with the exception of the kids holidays, Easter, summer etc then the trains to and from Skegness are almost empty after Boston to Skeg and from Skeg to Boston on return. On a Sunday at the moment you could quite easy get away with a 153 rather than the 4 car 156/158 on the 14.10 deparure from Skeg and 3 car 156/153 on the 16.10. Admittedly EMT need more stock to strengthen services during the summer as services can be severely overcrowded but that's easier said than done.
The 4 car set for the 1410 off Skegness will become more useful from hereon in, and will be strengthened to 6 cars when Butlins is particularly busy of a weekend. I've worked it before as a 6 car with over 350 passengers!

tbtc

Veteran Member
Corby to Oakham and beyond is a non-starter. EMT only run services that way to retain crew knowledge for diversion.

The time penalty of running via Oakham is significant. To give an example Kettering - East Midlands Parkway, via Leicester is a 41 minute journey, via Melton and Oakham is 1h 12m

This really needs repeating.

You could run London - Kettering - Leicester - East Midlands Parkway - Nottingham (i.e. serving a fairly large city) *or* you could take half an hour longer and serve nowhere of comparable size to Leicester... but the half hour time penalty will probably mean getting overtaken by two other London - Nottingham trains (that ran via Leicester). Essentially there'd be no point, unless you were going to dump hundreds of bargain basement fares... which isn't the best use of a path out of St Pancras when we can fill trains with regular fare-payers.

As for the rest of this thread:

Why the obsession with avoiding big places? I can see the point in some Liverpool - Norwich services avoiding Sheffield to save ten minutes (albeit you'd need to find replacement Manchester - Sheffield and Sheffield - Nottingham services), but there's no discernible time advantage in running Nottingham - Burton to avoid Derby, Kettering - East Midlands Parkway to avoid Leicester... Liverpool to Nottingham to avoid Manchester... it's a bit too contrary for me.

If your plan for new routes involves building additional stations and splitting/joining services then it's probably far too complicated/ unrealistic

If your plan for new routes involves crossing the WCML at Crewe then you can probably forget it - if the long established Manchester - Cardiff service struggles to get a path over the flat crossings then I wouldn't build up too much hope for things like Liverpool - Stoke. Same goes for additional Nottingham - Lincoln services of the flat ECML crossing.

If your plan for new routes involves convoluted routes (e.g. Derby to Leicester via Nottingham, for the sake of giving everywhere a direct service to everywhere) then forget about it. Not everywhere a hundred miles apart can have a direct service - leave those kind of minor markets to National Express. Maybe large places should have a direct service to other large places within a "fifty mile" radius, but the number of people doing journeys like Liverpool to Leicester or Corby to Glasgow each day are going to be a rounding error, in the grand scheme of things.

IF your plan for new routes involves linking St Pancras to Settle then... I have no words. Please make it stop! (at least it's better than the St Pancras - Bakewell - Manchester plans, I guess?)

Actually, there are four services per hour between Derby and Birmingham. One from the South West to Scotland, one from Reading or Southampton to Newcastle, one from Cardiff Central to Nottingham and one from Birmingham New Street to Nottingham. If I remember correctly there used to be a 5th - it went to Matlock

Ah, the short-lived Central Trains service... a reaction to Virgin (XC) doubling their Derby - Birmingham service (at the time of Operation Princess)... so Central Trains introduced a third service of their own onto the corridor... turning a route that had survived with three trains an hour into one that now had five trains an hour... whether this is the kind of "competition" that people want or is a waste of scarce resources is another story, I guess!

johnw

why should Kettering and Wellingborough be left out of the the Nottingham and Sheffield timetable.

Whenever I travevel or my mum travels, we wait for an off an off peak south bound, always running late for ghost trains non stop from Leicester, then crowd onto an a 222

DanTrain

why should Kettering and Wellingborough be left out of the the Nottingham and Sheffield timetable.

Whenever I travevel or my mum travels, we wait for an off an off peak south bound, always running late for ghost trains non stop from Leicester, then crowd onto an a 222
Milton Keynes has a population of twice Kettering and Wellinborough combined, and yet not all WCmL trains stop there. I agree that one of the Notts or Sheffield slows should call at each of these, but you do have to be careful not to turn a slow service into such a slow service that no-one would use it for long distance.

Also, since when was the Leicester - London fastf service a ghost train. Always seems comfortably loaded when I use it.

Class 170101

Established Member
There is certainly merit in improving links between the East Midlands and the North West and extending the Derby to Crewe service to Liverpool in the west and Nottingham or Lincoln (but see below) in the east would certainly help.

It should be said that even stopping all stations between Nottingham and Liverpool via Derby the journey time is around 15 minutes quicker adding all the bits together when compared to the existing route via Sheffield. Of course this assumes one could get a slot across all the junctions without penalty. However even if the journey time was comparable I still think there would be value in having it.

In terms of Corby I still think an hourly service to London and a shuttle on the opposite half hour connecting with a slower service to an alternative destination would be a better use of train paths, I have previously suggested Manchester as a slower path providing connections from the intermediate stations to Manchester as very few would use St Pancras to get to Manchester but it would cover several intermediate journey opportunities. I would maintain some services north of Corby as now for commuters to / from London and perhaps leisure trips to / from Derby.

If it were possible to find paths across Newark Flat Crossing I would provide a second service to Lincoln from Nottingham.

In respect of Skegness to be frank its services do not start early or finish lste enough to be much use to commuters for the major centres and the journey times are slow. Gratham can be 90 minutes away and Nottingham a further 40 minutes away. Even perhaps some fast trains calling at Boston, Sleaford, Grantham and Nottingham and ommitting the smaller stations is still likely to be around 2hrs by train would any of the other stations warrant being on this faster service bearing in mind of course the more stops you make lengthens the journey time?

I see no value in splitting the existing Liverpool to Norwich service at Nottingham but feel that EMT need to get away from running the ECS Nottingham to Liverpool at 04:00, I know its used as a means of retaining route knowledge on diversionary routes but this can be obtained in other ways. Perhaps having a crew depot at either Liverpool or Crewe with trains finishing / starting their days here would convince me that the route should not pass to XC.

backontrack

Established Member
I think that there's a few stations on the network that you could justify reopening:

-Cherry Willingham
-Washington, Branston Road
-East Goscote
-The Kibworths
-Borrowash
-Desborough
-Stapleford & Sandiacre
-Clay Cross & North Wingfield
-Whittington Moor
-Staveley, Eckington Road, Killamarsh & Halfway, Beighton
-Warsop, Kings Clipstone, Edwinstowe, Ollerton
-Leicester Forest East, Kirby Muxloe, Newtown Unthank & Desford, Bagworth & Thornton, Coalville, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Moira, Swadlincote Parkway

Raul_Duke

I think that there's a few stations on the network that you could justify reopening:

-Cherry Willingham
-East Goscote
-The Kibworths
-Borrowash
-Desborough
-Stapleford & Sandiacre
-Whittington Moor
-Leicester Forest East, Kirby Muxloe, Newtown Unthank & Desford, Bagworth & Thornton, Coalville, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Moira, Swadlincote Parkway

Whittington Moor is barely two miles from Chesterfield station, and Staveley station is now a road.

B&I

Established Member
Why the obsession with avoiding big places? I can see the point in some Liverpool - Norwich services avoiding Sheffield to save ten minutes (albeit you'd need to find replacement Manchester - Sheffield and Sheffield - Nottingham services), but there's no discernible time advantage in running Nottingham - Burton to avoid Derby, Kettering - East Midlands Parkway to avoid Leicester... Liverpool to Nottingham to avoid Manchester... it's a bit too contrary for me.

Let's take the Liverpool-Norwich as an example. It serves 3 of the country's 10 biggest cities, and a couple more in the top 20, and you're lucky to see a doubled-up 158 on it. Perhaps we are expecting too small a number of routes to do too much, and might actually want to think about investing in the railways to serve existing markets better, and develop new ones.

Established Member

-Cherry Willingham
-East Goscote
-The Kibworths
-Borrowash
-Desborough
-Stapleford & Sandiacre
-Whittington Moor

The Kibworths and Desborough are a non-starter because no one would even contemplate stopping the express services from Nottingham or Sheffield at either, and there is no capacity for any local services on that stretch either when you consider the constraints of pathing high speed passenger and freight on a two track railway with lengthy signal sections.

The rest seems a bit pie in the sky too as reopenings should be happening but only where there is a social and economic benefit to doing so: in your list Cherry Willingham and Leicester - Coalville - Burton are the only ones I would support, but even for the latter opening Bagworth & Thornton would merely serve as a time penalty on what would be the larger volume Coalville - Leicester flow. In the case of Coalville that part of North West Leicestershire is comparatively less well off when compared to other parts of the region, so reopening the railway would help by improving access to jobs and services in Leicester, as well as making Coalville itself more accessible from the outside world. I'm not really convinced you know the area well enough when you're suggesting reopening East Goscote though...

ag51ruk

-Cherry Willingham
-East Goscote
-The Kibworths
-Borrowash
-Desborough
-Stapleford & Sandiacre
-Whittington Moor

Borrowash would have the same problem as Spondon - too far away from housing and served by very good bus services to the centre of local cities/towns. I'm not sure which services would serve Stapleford?

muddythefish

On Moderation
The Kibworths and Desborough are a non-starter because no one would even contemplate stopping the express services from Nottingham or Sheffield at either, and there is no capacity for any local services on that stretch either when you consider the constraints of pathing high speed passenger and freight on a two track railway with lengthy signal sections.

There's been huge housing developments and population growth in the Desborough and Rothwell areas in recent years, with more developments planned. Kettering and Mkt Harborough stations are not easily accessible and alot of people in the area work in Leicester so a station serving both towns might be viable.

A0wen

On Moderation

Because, very simply, the vast majority of Kettering & Wellingborough journeys are heading south.

I'm not advocating removal of Kettering as a stop - but I am advocating Wellingborough, Bedford and Luton do and you leave Luton Airport Parkway in place.

Kettering because it will be the interchange onto the Corby - London services - so providing connectivity north to / from Market Harborough and Leicester.

The problem is the Nottingham / Sheffield services are being turned into a quasi-outer suburban commuter service by having to stop at so many places south of Leicester.

Look at a comparable service to Leeds or York and that will at the most stop at Stevenage and Peterborough - same goes for a Birmingham / Manchester service you're looking at Watford Junction and MKC at the most in that first 80 or so miles from London.

All of this could have been avoided if BR had electrified to Kettering back in 1980 - all of this would have been settled almost 40 years ago.

InTheEastMids

There's been huge housing developments and population growth in the Desborough and Rothwell areas in recent years, with more developments planned. Kettering and Mkt Harborough stations are not easily accessible and alot of people in the area work in Leicester so a station serving both towns might be viable.

Given some messages in other threads, how about opening these stations and connecting them with a circular Leicester-Harborough-Kettering-Corby-Oakham-Leicester service. Class 230 operated?

OK, back on Planet Reality, I agree with Muddythefish that development along the A6 corridor should make reopening of Kibworth, Desborough and maybe Rushden look interesting. However, I agree more strongly with 43074 that the costs look far too high - it's not just the two track section, but the constraints at Wigston Junctions and South of Bedford that give no latitude to mess about with the MML to find extra paths.

However, trying to be optimistic, I think these stations should be on the ultra long-term (i.e. 2035+) timescale. By then, HS2 has assuredly cut demand from North of Leicester, the Wigston-Syston capacity project has happened and the MML has been completely re-signalled.

ivanhoe

We can become too obsessed with speed and times sometimes in respect of journies on Liverpool to Norwich. Only a minority travel all the way. It is full of people who are making the odd 40 minute to 1.30 journies. I regularly travel Liverpool to Nottingham and a 2 hour 50 minute journey time is good in my opinion. Missing out Sheffield because somebody wants to travel to Manchester quicker, really makes no sense. By all means expect quicker times going down to London but travelling across the Country is never going to be quick. We should be grateful for a railway infrastructure we have that allows us to travel to most areas .

A0wen

On Moderation
OK, back on Planet Reality, I agree with Muddythefish that development along the A6 corridor should make reopening of Kibworth, Desborough and maybe Rushden look interesting. However, I agree more strongly with 43074 that the costs look far too high - it's not just the two track section, but the constraints at Wigston Junctions and South of Bedford that give no latitude to mess about with the MML to find extra paths.

Of those, only Rushden even starts to make sense.

Current population of Kibworth is under 6000. Desborough is 10,000.

Rushden is 30,000 - you could add Higham Ferrers (which borders Rushden) and that's another 7,000 and Irthlingborough with another 9000.

That's getting on for 50,000. You could put the platforms on the slows only and serve them with the Corby's - likely time penalty 3-5 minutes.

maire23

The rest seems a bit pie in the sky too as reopenings should be happening but only where there is a social and economic benefit to doing so: in your list Cherry Willingham and Leicester - Coalville - Burton are the only ones I would support, but even for the latter opening Bagworth & Thornton would merely serve as a time penalty on what would be the larger volume Coalville - Leicester flow. In the case of Coalville that part of North West Leicestershire is comparatively less well off when compared to other parts of the region, so reopening the railway would help by improving access to jobs and services in Leicester, as well as making Coalville itself more accessible from the outside world. I'm not really convinced you know the area well enough when you're suggesting reopening East Goscote though...

Spot on. The transport links from Coalville to Leicester are lousy- plus the (unreliable) buses are massively overloaded at shift change time at Amazon.
Better transport links there would likely make things a lot easier especially now they have an employer the size of Amazon there..
I live about 20 minutes from Coalville by bus, it is my nearest town. I think a lot of people would also be very happy if there was a better connection to Loughborough as well- although the Skylink has improved connections to Shepshed where it’s possible to pick up a bus to Loughborough its a load of hassle.
A train connection would be useful.

jayiscupid

Except "they" didn't do this. The Man Picc Rios were specifically not routed via Sheffield.

Could you run a Meridian from Manchester to Chesterfield and another from Sheffield to Chesterfield and join them for the fast run to London and the reverse in the opposite direction?

The S-Bahn in Hamburg manages this every 10 minutes when the airport train splits in half with the rear going to Poppenbuttle. Whole process is done in 30 seconds.

A0wen

On Moderation
Could you run a Meridian from Manchester to Chesterfield and another from Sheffield to Chesterfield and join them for the fast run to London and the reverse in the opposite direction?

The S-Bahn in Hamburg manages this every 10 minutes when the airport train splits in half with the rear going to Poppenbuttle. Whole process is done in 30 seconds.

To achieve what though?

All you'd be doing is linking Leicester and possibly Derby with Manchester - yet Project Rio demonstrated there wasn't the demand for that.

It's not likely to result in significantly improved journey times to / from Manchester for those places either when compared with the current route options.

Status
Not open for further replies.