• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you were forced to self isolate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If it ended up being that you were forced to stay at home for a few weeks, say if there was some kind of emergency that required you to not go to work, and minimise contact with others.
Assuming that you weren’t actually ill. What would you do with the time?

I’m currently doing a load of work around the house so I’ve stocked up on various things - wood, plasterboard, plaster, filler, central heating piping and electrical bits and bobs so that I can crack on with things that I haven’t had a chance to do for a long time.
I’ve also got the model railway and of course talking to all of you lovely people on here if I have lots of free spare time. ;)

I’m trying to find a silver lining here...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
First of all I'd get on with doing some of my paintings and with listing stuff for sale on my website; there's a few other things I need to catch up on as well.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Work as normal, I'm a home-worker most of the time anyway. Watch the telly in the evening or read a book, I barely get chance. And continue to waste time on here :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've been meaning to get back into model railways, so if I do end up having to completely isolate I'll possibly end up eating into my savings somewhat, and ordering a few bits online. I'd also ask my brother to drop a few of his currently spare bits in- a transformer for one. YouTube will be handy for re-jogging the memory in terms of wiring.

Otherwise, I'd be climbing the walls after a few days!

Assemble all the '0' guage coach and wagon kits from the loft that I bought about 30 years ago.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Catch up on my adult entertainment ;)

I have football manager so a few months will barely be noticed.

Ps staying on my own sounds like my life anyway.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Get on with scanning my slides and negatives.
Forgot about that - yes. I have thousands up on thousands. Then I would upload them all free to the internet. I was only 250 short of a photo of every loco in capital stock in 1983 plus all the class 71, 74, 76, 01, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, and more that were withdrawn previously. The PWMs etc. Claytons on Polmadie and North British warships

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I'd probably watch through my back catalogue of the Walking Dead on DVD and see how Rick Grimes dealt with a world wide epidemic.

alxndr

Established Member
Get a head start on my next module of Open University and maybe finally get around to painting the bathroom ceiling!

Bantamzen

Established Member
Catch up on my adult entertainment ;)

I have football manager so a few months will barely be noticed.

You'll need a lot longer to get through a few months isolation to get your fill of football manager, and that doesn't include the time needed repairing the holes in the wall when keyboard / mouse / controller is launched across room in a rage quit..... ;)

Personally, if the work dried up (which it won't) I've got a backlog of PlayStation Plus games to get through, and of course polish off my zombie apocalypse training on DayZ for when I have to tackle the supermarket trip... o_O

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Carry on doing some research on the 2 books that I really do need to work on , and maybe do some writing .....

Clear out the shed which has thousands of "stored" items - not all railway biased.

The Lad

The domestic authorities have been hitting the local builders merchants, panic buying a years year's worth of paving for someone to lay whilst he can't play trains.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The domestic authorities have been hitting the local builders merchants, panic buying a years year's worth of paving for someone to lay whilst he can't play trains.
:lol: This news doesn’t surprise me. I’m having a few days off at the moment because I don’t want to do any painting jobs inside people’s houses (I’ve got a couple of outside barn conversions to do in the next few weeks which should be fine as I can get the paint delivered), so now I’m up to my armpits wallpaper stripping in one of the bedrooms and wondering what time I can knock off to do railway things?
I could heat myself up with the steamer and pretend to Mrs C that I feel too weak to carry on I suppose?

GB

Established Member

Pretty much the same here. Though I think it would be the feeling of not being able to go out that would probably get me rather than not actually going out....if that makes sense!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd probably watch through my back catalogue of the Walking Dead on DVD and see how Rick Grimes dealt with a world wide epidemic.
By over-acting and yelling "Carl!" in a really annoying way at least twice each episode.... :lol:

In all seriousness, the spin-off series "TWD: The World Beyond" is supposedly going to give us a macro view of how the world reacted and slowly recovered... afaik all filming is completed and it was slated to air in May. Hopefully it won't be postponed as they'll have a captive audience!

nlogax

Established Member
Books. I have a ton of them that still need to be read.

Also I may get back into recording music. My synths look dusty and unloved. This could be a good time to dust them off and crank 'em up!

RichT54

Books. I have a ton of them that still need to be read.

Also I may get back into recording music. My synths look dusty and unloved. This could be a good time to dust them off and crank 'em up!

I really need to take some time to learn how to actually play music on my synth, rather than getting sidetracked experimenting with all the different sounds I can get it to make :lol:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I will continue working until I'm literally forced to stay home (which is unlikely as I'm in good health considering where I work...)

But if the inevitable happens, I have about 20 years of 35mm prints to scan.

Of course, I "could" just rebel and troll the local shops for provisions every day... ;)

My wine delivery came just in time before the company stopped deliveries so I'm ok for a few weeks...just have to ration myself

alxndr

Established Member
May I ask which course you are doing? In the 90s I did T102, M101, S101, T203, T235, T236 then I stopped!

Aiming for a BEng in Engineering, but only done T192 so far as started this year. Just started looking through the stuff for T193.

High Dyke

Established Member
If i had to stay home all the time I'd probably go do-lally... Then again perhaps i could actually wade through some of the paperwork on the attic room desk...bank paperwork etc. You know the kind stuff you put up there out of sight, out of mind etc...

PeterY

Established Member
I also think I'd go do-lally having to stay indoors for days on end. I don't have the pleasure of watching daytime TV. No licence or aerial but luckily I can watch DVD's, plenty of Star Trek, films and railway DVD's I'm on the whole an outside person.
I work has a gardener, so I'm outside but I'm not going into peoples houses. They are leaving my tea on window sill :D:D:D
Hopefully there'll be plenty of new posts to read on here.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I bought a Mega Drive mini & a SNES mini a while ago so at least Sonic & Mario can keep me company if I do end up housebound.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I was thinking about this today and ithink you have to keep yourself active. I will give the house a clean from top to bottom, will organise the under stair cupboard and have been drawing up a list of DIY jobs that o have put off and will attack those. If things get really bad i might colour code my books or something random that will take ages!

That will give some tasks to deal with and finish and let you think you have done something of use like you may do at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.