• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you were forced to self isolate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
I probably have a few things I could do if I had to stay at home and not unwell. Books to read, games to play, things to tidy, odd jobs I should probably do, pictures to sort off the camera, to name a few.
I’m fortunate to be in a position where I can work from home as well, though productivity would depend on what needed doing. The problem I sometimes face is that because I enjoy what I do and it’s an enjoyable challenge, time runs away and I can while away many an hour trying to understand something (I work in IT)

Since it is a rail forum, to touch on that a little, under some circumstances I may be climbing the walls to get out on the rails. However, having only made 3 trips by rail this year (2 for forum meals and one for a friends birthday) I’m not particularly having withdrawal symptoms for now. This weekend should have seen a return to the rails somewhat more, but that’s cancelled for now but the opportunity will arise again in due course

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Probably murder a sibling within a week. I've been close to doing it over the last 2 and half months being off work recovering from a haematoma on my leg! (It didn't help the haematoma came a few days before I was meant to go to London to hunt NX, megabus, Rotala streetlites, Worst Volvos and Hotel Hoppa stuff (along with a visit to the Electric Ballroom in Camden for Progress wrestling Unboxing Live!))

Seriously though, I've got a couple of random scripts I'm working out ideas for (for next year's BBC Comedy Writers Script Room* and BBC Drama Writers Script Room*) and a book or three I'm at various stages of.

I've also got quite a few archive photos to upload to my wordpress based site.

* The Script Room is the BBC system for receiving unsolicited original scripts.

MDB1images

Get up to date with all my transport related paperwork, catch up with captioning all photographs and videos(only 25 years behind), read the mountain of books I ask for every Christmas & birthday that I never actually read and sit on sofa chilling.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I've got some courses that I'll no longer be teaching face-to-face, and need to convert to distance-learning. Other than that, having two kids at home that need entertaining and educating will keep me quite busy.

Carry on doing some research on the 2 books that I really do need to work on , and maybe do some writing .....

I've also got a book's worth of research sat on a shelf. This might be the opportunity to start writing...

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
...to go to London to hunt NX, megabus, Rotala streetlites, Worst Volvos and Hotel Hoppa stuff (along with a visit to the Electric Ballroom in Camden for Progress wrestling Unboxing Live!))

No offence meant, and the failing is mine -- "my ignorant" -- but I'm feeling a little bit like Alice in Wonderland: "The Hatter's remark seemed to have no sort of meaning in it, yet it was certainly English." :s

I'm a lazy so-and-so, better at making grandiose plans than carrying them out. However -- a situation of prolonged "house arrest", might give a chance of getting to work on a project of mine long dreamed of, but barely begun: a history, in English, of the many one-time light railways and steam tramways of the Netherlands -- hoping to do for that country, what the late W.J.K. Davies did for France and Belgium.

Pyreneenguy

Confined here since mid-day Tuesday ( Gers, France ). No surprise at all. Ever since the Chinese announced the building of hospitals for thousands of patients I knew we were going to get massively hit by it sooner or later and got organized accordingly.I live in the countryside so there really aren't any problems with freedom of movement. I have to justify my movements with a home printed authorization but if I stay nearby there will be none to no one to verify why I'm out and about ! We have everything we need to survive a month or so, so no need for me to go to a town to shop. I'm off work till further notice, on full pay. Madame has to work ( her work is considered essential -lol !) and can bring home fresh bread and any other fresh produce as required. She's most jealous as it's me that can laze around ! I've no end of things to do, so many in fact that I don't know where to start ! I've always done the cooking, so we'll be eating even better than before ! The garden needs loads of attention and the current warm weather is going to make the grass grow at an incredible speed ( 21° C forecast for this afternoon) but I'd sooner be out enjoying a walk than on the lawn-mower ! Then there are books to read, films to watch, instruments to play and a little serious debate on a number of forums ! I'll be off work until the schools reopen and I can't see that happening before the start of the summer break. I will miss not being able to get to the mountains, especially for the ski-touring and trout fishing on the Spanish side of the Pyrénées, in Aragon and a trip to my native Merseyside to see the Class 777 in action !

Enjoy this unexpected break-despite all the worries and inconvenience. Take the time to assess your lifestyle, your goals and ambitions and perhaps come out of this mess in a positive manner.

nlogax

Established Member
As a fellow muso, what are they?

Right now, a vintage Roland JX-3P (minus PG-200 programmer..shame), Roland SH-201, Roland MC-505 and a Micro Korg. I've also got a JD-800 (all the sliders!) out on long term loan, but it's in need of repair so I should really get around to that.

Last edited:

JohnB57

Nice gear. When I bought my Juno 106 back when analogue was all we had, it was a toss up between that and the JX3P. Easier to control on the fly (the 106) but only one DCO.

Hope the dust brushes off! Enjoy.

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
Nice gear. When I bought my Juno 101 back when analogue was all we had, it was a toss up between that and the JX3P. Easier to control on the fly, but only one DCO.

Hope the dust brushes off! Enjoy.

Thank you! The Juno 106 is an absolute beast..still think I should have gone for one of those instead.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Just a suggestion everyone. There are loads of Wikipedia articles on railway subjects. Some of those need updating and editing. Some need creating. That would be fun. Would also help future generations and other users. This could be done in a lockdown.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Just a suggestion everyone. There are loads of Wikipedia articles on railway subjects. Some of those need updating and editing. Some need creating. That would be fun. Would also help future generations and other users. This could be donmein a lockdown.
A genius idea. I've done a bit of editing of articles in the past (particularly historical ones), and I've got a good shelf of books to use as citation sources.

The main competition for my time will be converting the courses I was teaching into distance-learning ones, and becoming a homeschooler for my eldest (5 year-old) for the summer term. Luckily, I've got two retired primary-school teachers in the family to lean on for ideas and guidance.

Oh, and then there's a baby due in a few months, too!

Harbon 1

I'd like to learn German, plus lots of books to read, Netflix to binge and PC games to play. On the whole, apart from cabin fever, I'm hoping I'll be alright!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Of all the older generation I know - they are self isolating but are still venturing out during the daytime for shopping and walking the dog (exercise is bring widely encouraged). All the people I know are simply going into lockdown in the evening by not venturing out - one called it a self imposed curfew.

Established Member
I've got to stay in for two weeks, so it's just as well I've got plenty of books to read and a podcast to catch up on.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I've just introduced my 71-year-old dad to Breaking Bad and he's already half way through season 2.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Of all the older generation I know - they are self isolating but are still venturing out during the daytime for shopping and walking the dog (exercise is bring widely encouraged). All the people I know are simply going into lockdown in the evening by not venturing out - one called it a self imposed curfew.
I have a feeling that self-isolating will not be an option but a legal requirement within a short period of time for certain groups, principally the over-70s and those with certain medical conditions. My wife and myself unfortunately qualify on both counts, and I have to admit that for the second time in my life that I can remember I am afraid, and I don't scare easily, neither am I in any way a panicker. I can't imagine how things are going to pan out, either personally, as a country or as a world. Anyone who has faith in our politicians is a fool, quite frankly. Only yesterday that overgrown Billy Bunter who professes to 'lead' us was opining that we could be getting back into the sunshine in twelve weeks time! Oh, how we sniggered when Trump got in, 'how could the Americans be so stupid as to elect a narcissistic simpleton?', then we had our own say!

Sorry to divert this topic from being relatively light-hearted but,to many in our society if not many on this forum, there are very challenging times ahead.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Get out on my bike, keeping 2metres from everyone. And then work to try and save the country.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
To be honest, I don't find myself having to change my routine much (if at all). My home life when times are normal involves spending all day on my computer doing random activities, with every other Saturday (to the best of my ability) being spent on the railway. The latter, whilst enjoyable, can be easily taken out, so I don't think I'm constituting a health risk to myself or anyone else at the minute (unless new "evidence" suggests computers give you COVID-19 or something, who knows).

Established Member
I have a feeling that self-isolating will not be an option but a legal requirement within a short period of time for certain groups, principally the over-70s and those with certain medical conditions. My wife and myself unfortunately qualify on both counts, and I have to admit that for the second time in my life that I can remember I am afraid, and I don't scare easily, neither am I in any way a panicker. I can't imagine how things are going to pan out, either personally, as a country or as a world. Anyone who has faith in our politicians is a fool, quite frankly. Only yesterday that overgrown Billy Bunter who professes to 'lead' us was opining that we could be getting back into the sunshine in twelve weeks time! Oh, how we sniggered when Trump got in, 'how could the Americans be so stupid as to elect a narcissistic simpleton?', then we had our own say!

Sorry to divert this topic from being relatively light-hearted but,to many in our society if not many on this forum, there are very challenging times ahead.

I can understand your concerns, and at the age of 80 I'm definitely "vulnerable". My daughter has decided that my wife and I should no longer collect our younger granddaughter from school on three afternoons a week and is encouraging us not to do any shopping, and though there have been some small acts of rebellion we are largely self-isolating now. We live in a village so it's easy to go for walks where there's almost no social interaction or risk of infection. The garden should achieve perfection and like others I've got lots of things I'd like to do and others for which I'll now have to think of new excuses not to. What I will miss most are the rest of the family, and like someone earlier I think the feeling that I shouldn't be going out will be worse than the reality, since for much of the time I'll be quite content to stay at home and (not) do things.

But I disagree with you about Boris Johnson. Yes, the idea that we'll somehow have beaten the virus in 12 weeks is unrealistic, but the strategy may achieve a degree of control over it and reduce the number of deaths that would occur if the NHS was completely swamped. I doubt that any other country has a significantly better answer for an unprecendeted situation such as this, though we won't know one way or the other for some time. We ought to think about the issues and not let our dislike of particular personalities predominate, and the main alternative, had the Conservatives not won in December, is someone I'd find less than inspiring. What worries me most is that this thing will go on for more than a year, and until there is an effective vaccine those who are vulnerable will find that self-isolation is the new normal.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I can understand your concerns, and at the age of 80 I'm definitely "vulnerable". My daughter has decided that my wife and I should no longer collect our younger granddaughter from school on three afternoons a week and is encouraging us not to do any shopping, and though there have been some small acts of rebellion we are largely self-isolating now. We live in a village so it's easy to go for walks where there's almost no social interaction or risk of infection. The garden should achieve perfection and like others I've got lots of things I'd like to do and others for which I'll now have to think of new excuses not to. What I will miss most are the rest of the family, and like someone earlier I think the feeling that I shouldn't be going out will be worse than the reality, since for much of the time I'll be quite content to stay at home and (not) do things.

But I disagree with you about Boris Johnson. Yes, the idea that we'll somehow have beaten the virus in 12 weeks is unrealistic, but the strategy may achieve a degree of control over it and reduce the number of deaths that would occur if the NHS was completely swamped. I doubt that any other country has a significantly better answer for an unprecendeted situation such as this, though we won't know one way or the other for some time. We ought to think about the issues and not let our dislike of particular personalities predominate, and the main alternative, had the Conservatives not won in December, is someone I'd find less than inspiring. What worries me most is that this thing will go on for more than a year, and until there is an effective vaccine those who are vulnerable will find that self-isolation is the new normal.
The politicians ARE to blame imo because they've allowed the NHS to get so run down that anything slightly out of the normal (and it'd have happened if there'd been a flu epidemic this winter) leads to chaos. The World Health Authority has made it very clear that the main thing we have to do at this stage is Test, Test, Test! What the government won't say is that, even if enough testing kits were available (which i doubt), there aren't the staff to use them and there's no spare capacity to analyse the results. NHS staff are crying out for testing, and they're rebuffed. At the same time doctors and other staff are being provided with a box resembling what you might give a 4 year old for role playing, containing a pair of plastic gloves, a flimsy apron and something else insubstantial. We could well have got this under sufficient control to have virtually nipped it in the bud in this country if we'd acted sooner. Even last Sunday, some friends of mine returned from South Africa, as arranged. He feared he might not be allowed to fly as he'd developed a cold, but he had an instant test at the S.A. airport and passed: when they got to Heathrow, it was 'business as normal' for everyone, no testing, no questions, no extra hand sanitisers in evidence, nor had the subject of Coronavirus been mentioned on the long flight! I'm afraid the enforced isolation and impending impoverisation of the U.K. might well be a direct result of political decisions, though I think it's quite possible a Corbyn-led government mighn't have done much better. The seeds, though, were sown in the period from 2010, so the LibDems are almost equally to blame as the Cons in my estimation.

Trackman

Established Member
I'm stuck up North on my own.
Facetiming family, trying to improve my chess ELO, watching you-tube, reading books.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have decided to watch a series of morale boosting war films where we give the jerries a damn good thrashing. That's how we will beat this thing!

First up: battle of Britain

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have decided to watch a series of morale boosting war films where we give the jerries a damn good thrashing. That's how we will beat this thing!

First up: battle of Britain

Brilliant!

But surely, you should start with Dunkirk. Then:

Battle of Britain
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Midway
Dambusters
The Longest Day
The Great Escape
A Bridge too Far
Downfall

DarloRich