• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If your train is late to Manchester Airport via Stockport

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Just a note that others might find helpful.

If you catch at train to MIA via Stockport, you are probably aware that the route is like doing two sides of a triangle, with the train having to reverse at Manchester Picc.

I use this route from Doncaster about five times a year to connect with planes, and TPE are usually very reliable. However, twice in about six years the train has been delayed to the extent we might miss the plane, so what my business partner and I have done is jump off at Stockport and take a taxi to the airport. This takes about 15-25 minutes depending on the traffic and delivers you to the Terminal door. The fare on an unbooked taxi is about £15-20 pounds; this cost has been easily covered by TPE's delay-repay scheme.

The other time you might think of using it is if the very first train to MIA is the one you have to use to connect with your flight. I'm doing this on Saturday, and the connection is a bit tight even if the train's on time. So instead I've just prebooked a taxi, and bought the ticket from Donny to Stockport instead of MIA. The taxi will cost £9.50, but I think is worth it for peace of mind, and I got two single advances: DON-Stockport and MIA-DON.

In future, if I knew my train to MIA was going to be late, I would try and book a taxi by my mobile from the delayed train. I'm not going to advertise a particular firm, but numbers are on the Internet.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
It's 15 mins by express bus from Stockport to MIA - somewhat cheaper than £20 as well

The trouble is if you're in a rush, the taxi is available immediately, and you don't have to get from the station to Mersey Square. Is the Trent bus still the only direct one available? If so you could just miss one and the next one's 30 mins. And 15 mins is optimistic at peak times.

On the other hand I was lucky to get good single advances. If not I could have got an ordinary DON-Stockport return, got the taxi that I needed on the way out and got the bus on the way back, so thanks for the idea.

EDIT: It's High Peak now isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.