• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ilford Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybi

Hi all!
This is my first post so please forgive me if I'm in the wromg place.
I'm in the selection process for a depot drivers job at Ilford for NXEA. I've succesfully completed six psychometric tests and will (at some stage) go for a managers interview.
I would like some info on day to day operations, rostering, duties start/finish etc for the interview.
Can anyone assist, I was wondering if an informal visit to Ilford would be fruitful to chat with drivers.
Your thoughts and assistance would be appreciated.
Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
I'm on the West Anglia side of NXEA, so I can't help much.

However, the depot driver's job involves little in the way of actual driving. Sure you'll be shunting, washing and prepping trains, but you'll also be standing around outside pulling hand points and directing operations under the supervision of the "yardie". What driving you do will only be within the confines of the depot and will never exceed 5mph.

Also don't be fooled by any talk of being a mainline driver within any stated timescale. Such things depend entirely on vacancies coming up within the mainline "links", so you could be stuck on the ground for a significant period of time. That said, being in the company does make it easier to apply for mainline positions at other depots when they come up.

O L Leigh

AlexS

Established Member
Shouldn't worry too much about mainline driving anyway - I'd say enjoy the job you've got while you do it, you can have as much fun working on the ground as speeding along on a non stop but boring express train.

Shouldn't be too difficult on a unit depot anyway!

O L Leigh

Established Member
Yes, I suppose there is that. If it's what you enjoy doing then fair play to you.

It's just that starting as a depot driver is a recognised way of getting into the mainline grade and I wanted to sound a note of caution about the likely timescale.

O L Leigh

AlexS

Established Member
Oh yes, it's definately worth bearing in mind - and I do appreciate that you were trying to make clear that just because the word driver is involved that doesn't mean the jobs are anything like each other.

Cybi

Thanks for that guys, if anyone working in or out of Ilford could give me a bit of info as well that would be good; or even Liverpool Street, I suppose ...

Alex,

How did you get on? I know there's been a hold put on courses, but then again one part of life on the railway is the Mighty Rumour Mill!

Bit of background, I've just spent the best part of the last 9 months becoming a Depot Driver at Ilford. It's been bloody hard, but wouldn't change if for the world.

I of course still have aspirations of joining OL Leighs world but he does make valid points. I'm not looking at being able to go mainline training for AT LEAST 2 years. That's if I continue to pass my monthly assessments & don't do anything stupid in the meantime! That said, if you keep your head down, work hard, even being 'just' a Depot Driver is very rewarding & as secure a job as you are going to get at the moment. But it's a long time to put up with sunburn/soakings/nights/days/afternoons/evenings etc if all you want to do is experience speeds over 5mph!

Let me know how you got on & I'll see if I can help in any way, shifts allowing!!!

Scoggy

p.s. OL Leigh, I have probably sent you down the wrong road at some point on your visits to the yard!

O L Leigh

Established Member
OL Leigh, I have probably sent you down the wrong road at some point on your visits to the yard!

Not yet. I'd have stopped and bitched if you had. :lol:

To be fair I don't get down to Ilford all that often. In fact I'm struggling to remember the last time I did. I'm at Bishops Stortford not Chingford and don't do nights, so my visits tend to be very few and far between. That's not to say that we haven't passed the time of day while waiting the road with a pair of Cl317's at the London end without realising.

O L Leigh

Delta 65

Hi Cybi.

I've worked at Ilford Depot for about seven years now (about 18 months as Depot Driver and then mainline from then on). I'd be happy to give you any info that I can. I notice that your original post was quite a while ago. Have you already started at Ilford?

slick

Hi all I'd also like to share my account of my experience of this role. I originally put in for depot driver at ilford for "one" railway almost 2 years ago, then about 7 months after i was invited for the tests. I was told then that Id be working toward a chingford depot position due to my proximity to that depot. Then I was told recruitment was put on hold until september 2009 and there maybe a course coming up. Then finally I had a drivers interview and to my shock the position was for mainline not depot! Ive now been offered the position and have my medical next week! To say im over the moon is an understatement!

Has anyone else gone for say a depot position and been "bumped" up to a mainline position?

robby p

Slick have they offered you a position at chingford or Ilford? If it's chingford there is no such thing as a depot driver as the same on the west anglia side and once you pass rules and traction you will be out on the road driving trains upto 90mph! I'm based at Bishops Stortford and have just gone through stratford and am currently out with my minder clocking up the hours, so if you need any help or wanna know anything before you start or during training send us a message, good luck mate!

slick

my offer was changed. According to what I was told by the two driver managers at my interview, at that depot its "inner suburban" for the most part, 315's covering Chingford, Enfield Town etc routes, and much later an extension to the course to learn 317's on the Cambridge routes. I'm sure you'll hear from me soon! and thanks!

Last edited:

Topgun

Hi,

I've recently applied for trainee depot driver at Ilford. The one problem I have is accommodation. I live in Lincolnshire and if successful would have to find somewhere cheap to live. Any ideas? Seems to be around £70 per week for just a room!!

JammyJames08

Hi,

I've recently applied for trainee depot driver at Ilford. The one problem I have is accommodation. I live in Lincolnshire and if successful would have to find somewhere cheap to live. Any ideas? Seems to be around £70 per week for just a room!!

they won't give you a job, sorry.

robby p

You might as well try Topun, when I was accepted for trainee driver (not Ilford) it said if you live more than 20 miles from your depot you may be asked to relocate. You could always relocate for training and then move where you want as after recruitmant I don't believe NXEA have a stipulation you must live within a certain distance of the depot, who dares wins I suppose!

Topgun

If I get the job, then I plan on renting a room near the depot whilst training, then moving house once qualified. I think the training is far too intense to contemplate moving house at the same time!!

Rixy

I just applied today for a trainee depot driver vacancy at the Ilford depot. I have been in a job for 6 years and feel like I need a change. I have grown up next to this line and always felt some kind of attachment to it!

Seems like the person who started this thread has disappeared.

What duties can I expect being a trainee depot driver?

Many thanks

Last edited:

slick

You will be: Washing trains, doing a lot of 'preps' (train preparing), shunting trains, Coupling, Uncoupling, pulling points, and driving in the yard.

You'll also be at the entry of the yard off the mainline, hopefully saying where you want me the train to go under instruction from the 'yardie' by radio comms.

Ilford is a VERY complex place with 2 workshops, a shed with 16 roads, 22 outside roads, and a washer aswell as some other roads. So im pretty sure you'll have lots to do as everytime I go there it always seems to be busy. Good group of people there if you do get it! Good luck!

blue boys

hi all 1st post on here.i just wondered if anybody knew of any mainline driver vacancies coming up preferably clacton,colchester,norwich????i live in harwich but work at london victoria as qualified mainline driver which ive been for 5 years but have now relocated.many thanks.Andy

O L Leigh

Established Member
Ilford isn't actually that complicated. There's an entry/exit at each end, but an arriving train can now come in, be washed and stabled all in one move, unlike places like Hornsey which takes two reversals just to access the bottom of the depot and then another to stable a train off the wash/karzi road.

O L Leigh

Rixy

Thanks for the replies.. took a good few weeks to hear back but unfortunately I wasn't successful in my application :(

Status
Not open for further replies.