• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm attempting to make a font...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasLunatic

... and I need your opinion on it thus far. It's capitals, numbers and top-row symbols only at the minute, but once it's complete, it'll cover every character typable on a keyboard without using alt codes. It's in the attached .zip file.

Install the font, refresh the page and tell me what you think.
THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG. (1234567890!"£$%&*-=+).?@',<>/

Attachments

• Baldrick Sans.zip
    11.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

Screenshots, as requested...
4701a9f05186d51bacb5d0a2f6d49961.jpg

05cac4491232528a408dde2cc38f8d68.jpg

district

Thanks. I like it, think it's really cool. Although not sure what your target audience is for it.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
That's unusual - completely unlike any font I've seen before! And it's imaginative. Somewhat reminiscent of a small child's handwriting. And I'm guessing it must be quite some effort to get those shapes in true-type format! And looking at pairs like A-B, it looks like you've gone to some trouble to make natural-looking kerning too.

Picking up a few things that perhaps could be improved: From the point of view of legibility, I'd probably try to straighten the inside of the left of the B - easy to confuse with an 8. And it's not clear to me what some of the punctuation symbols are (the one after the % and the two before the @) - you might want to give those a slightly more conventional shape. I'd also try to equalize the sizes of the letters and numbers more. The different sizes give a nice casual-looking effect when you see all the characters in sequence, as above, when each character only appears once. However, in real text, the result will be that every R will be unusually small and every C and S will be unusually big - I'd imagine that would look odd and artificial. I suspect more equal sizes would work better in normal text (or at least, normal headings. I'm guessing this font isn't particularly intended for use in extended paragraphs :) )

Last edited:

DasLunatic

...looking at pairs like A-B, it looks like you've gone to some trouble to make natural-looking kerning too.

That was actually just coincidence - this font came together by playing with a bezier tool and altering the points and curves until I thought it looked OK.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...the one after the %...
That's an ampersand.
DynamicSpirit said:
...the two before the @...
That's the colon and semicolon, respectively.

me123

Established Member
It's an interesting font and I do like it, although if I'm honest I'm not sure when I'd ever use it.

Some of the punctuation is a little bit difficult to read and could perhaps be tidied up a bit though. The ampersand just looks like a squiggle and the colon and semicolon are hard to tell apart. The exclamation mark looks unnecessarily bold, whilst the apostrophe looks too insignificant. All IMO of course, but it's certainly an interesting and unique font.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I don't like it but that's subjective and irrelevant as there are lots of fonts I don't like. Where I do have an objective concern is scalability, there doesn't appear to be any rules governing the form, proportions and position of the letters (the quote below seems to confirm this) which would make it very difficult to scale the size up or down without losing definition.

this font came together by playing with a bezier tool and altering the points and curves until I thought it looked OK.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Not necessarily, if it is stored in vector format, which seems likely given that a bezier tool was used

Bevan Price

Established Member
Might be interesting for someone who wants to produce distinctive large size signs, notices, etc. However, I suspect that many readers will have problems with clarity & legibility if the font is used at reduced sizes of 12-14 points or less.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Step one, make sure it is capable of holding liquid, leading to:
Step two, make sure you have a reputable supplier of holy water.

HTH ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.