• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm confused as to where all the trains fit at night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
where are all the Eurostars kept overnight? Can Temple Mills take all seventeen 374s and the 373s at the same time?
There are usually half a dozen Eurostars at Le Landy even when the normal service is running, no doubt there are three or four at Bruxelles Fforest as well, so straight away you only have to put half the fleet into Temple Mills even without allowing for any station stabling - St Pancras does I believe have two or three in overnight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roast Veg

Established Member
Nottingham's a good example - the depot (Eastcroft) has very little capacity for stabling so the majority of units (usually in excess of 40 vehicles) spend the night in the station platforms after being fuelled and serviced, leaving just one or two through platforms available for freight, last/first London trains and possession requirements.
It's not uncommon to see quite a few DMUs pulling into the long platforms as ECS. I think I saw an 8 car 158 last time.

Leicester stores XC 170s on platform 4 on weekday nights and the EMR 158 doing the morning run to Sleaford/Lincoln crosses all the way over on the flat to platform 1 where it parks up nose to nose with yet another XC 170.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Didn't TPE used to have quite a good system in York since they ran basically 24 hours per day with services so a train might come in earlier in the evening go into the sidings get fuelled and cleaned etc then it would go back out about 2am say. A train then came in about 2am, took the space just freed up, fuelled, cleaned and then back out about 6-7am so 1 depot space was effectively used by 2 trains staggered through the nights.

4REP

Dear moderators, we don't have a depot subforum so I put it here... please feel free to move if there is a better place

Where do trains go at night?

It sounds obvious - the depot, but I read that Longsight can take a maximum of fifteen 390s overnight. Now I know that there is a depot in Wembley and Glasgow, etc. But fifteen? It is the main depot for the Pendolinos and there are fifty six? So... where do all the other ones go?

If a depot as large as Longsight can only take fifteen Pendolinos, where are all the Eurostars kept overnight? Can Temple Mills take all seventeen 374s and the 373s at the same time? And Great Western Railway has over a hundred IETs split between North Pole, Maliphant, Stoke Gifford and I think some stay at Laira. If they can only take fifteen too, that accounts for only sixty or seventy IETs? LNER has all of the Azumas and the 225s as well over Bounds Green, Doncaster, Neville Hill and Craigentinny?

Unless of course, it means fifteen IN the actual shed, and more can sit on the sidings outside the depot? But if not... where do they all go?? Unless Longsight is just... small? Although Craigentinny can handle 176 vehicles... and that's only what, nineteen Azumas?

I'm confused. How many trains actually sit at the depot (inside and outside of it), and how many trains can stay overnight at places like North Pole and Bounds Green?

Please can someone clarify, because I'm surprised at how much less depots can take compared to what I thought. I don't mean how many can they do maintenance on, just... how many can stay there overnight? There doesn't seem to be enough room for them all if they can only take 15-20 trains...

Thanks
Alot of trains are berthed also overnight at Station termini where the train ends its day. Like Leeds/Weymouth/penzance/Some London Stations possibly. Portsmouth Harbour/Southsea/Man picc/Carlisle and many more for there next days journeys as prob not enough paths for trains to enter and leave the depot

Also plenty of sidings around the network too. For example Basingstoke Barton Mill/Poole/Southampton etc etc. Example below.
SWR have a fleet of around 400 so...
Weymouth station
Poole sidings
Bournemouth Depot
Bournemouth sidings.
Southampton sidings.
Eastleigh area(possibly)
Basingstoke Barton mill
Woking plat 6
Wimbledon Depot
Clapham yard
Possibly Waterloo.
Strawberry hill
Portsmouth stations/Fratton depot
Possibly Guildford
Reading Bay platform.
Salisbury depot
Exeter sidings/Station
Other sidings anyone know of on SWR?

Last edited:

jack31439

To my knowledge on Southern/Gatex, stabling can be done at many places -

Depots -
Selhurst
Battersea SL
Brighton LW

Servicing Depots (cleaning + CET) -
Streatham Hill
Hove

Outstations (most have sidings, some with ability to CET maybe?) -
Bognor
Littlehampton
Caterham
Tattenham Corner
London Bridge
London Vic
Three Bridges
St Leonards
Eastbourne
Horsham
Dorking
East Grinstead
Redhill

Sidings (that I know of) -
Cabbage Patch Stewarts Lane
Battersea Pier Sidings
Vic Carriage Sidings
Tilgate Sidings

I am sure there are more I have missed too that are sometimes used.

Statto

Established Member
Merseyrail have units stabled at Southport, New Brighton & Rock Ferry stations, i think one unit is stabled at Hooton station too.

Stabling trains at stations overnight, also means trains are strategically positioned for the first services the following morning without taking up any pathing to get from the depot

Aictos

Established Member
Also stabling at London Bridge, on the GN there used to be stabling at out stations such as Hertford North using Platform 3, the headshunt and the yard there.

59CosG95

Established Member
There are usually half a dozen Eurostars at Le Landy even when the normal service is running, no doubt there are three or four at Bruxelles Fforest as well, so straight away you only have to put half the fleet into Temple Mills even without allowing for any station stabling - St Pancras does I believe have two or three in overnight.
Before the services were cut back again, did any of the Amsterdam services stable at Watergraafsmeer? Or did they all stable at Temple Mills?

507 001

Established Member
Merseyrail have units stabled at Southport, New Brighton & Rock Ferry stations, i think one unit is stabled at Hooton station too.

Stabling trains at stations overnight, also means trains are strategically positioned for the first services the following morning without taking up any pathing to get from the depot

West Kirby and Birkenhead Central too.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
During the summer, the stock for the special steam hauled trains to Devon (I can't remember the names!) is often stabled in one of the middle roads of Bristol Temple Meads. Later in the evening, I've noticed that there's often a couple of Class 800s in the platform roads further away from the entrance for a while, although whether they stay there overnight or are waiting to go somewhere else, I don't know.

Andy1673

To my knowledge on Southern/Gatex, stabling can be done at many places -

Depots -
Selhurst
Battersea SL
Brighton LW

Servicing Depots (cleaning + CET) -
Streatham Hill
Hove

Outstations (most have sidings, some with ability to CET maybe?) -
Bognor
Littlehampton
Caterham
Tattenham Corner
London Bridge
London Vic
Three Bridges
St Leonards
Eastbourne
Horsham
Dorking
East Grinstead
Redhill

Sidings (that I know of) -
Cabbage Patch Stewarts Lane
Battersea Pier Sidings
Vic Carriage Sidings
Tilgate Sidings

I am sure there are more I have missed too that are sometimes used.
plus two sidings at Epsom, platform 1 at Barnham and some (one or two) platfroms at Brighton. Tonbridge Jubilee sidings as well for 3-car shuttle

YorksLad12

Established Member
As others have said, lots of outstabling. Northern stable a number of units in Leeds overnight and quite a few go on the through roads at Sheffield, between the platforms, as well as in the "siding" there.

In the Before Times there used to be an ECS move around midnight to 1am of an LNER 91+Mk4 set into P1 overnight. I was never motivated enough to find out where it had come from and where it was going afterwards. Pretty sure there was at least a 333 on P0 last night (there's one resting up at the moment). Christmas and Boxing Days are the best times to see Northern stock at stations; even this one just gone, there was a set on P17 while engineering work took place.

Crossover

Established Member
In the Before Times there used to be an ECS move around midnight to 1am of an LNER 91+Mk4 set into P1 overnight. I was never motivated enough to find out where it had come from and where it was going afterwards. Pretty sure there was at least a 333 on P0 last night (there's one resting up at the moment). Christmas and Boxing Days are the best times to see Northern stock at stations; even this one just gone, there was a set on P17 while engineering work took place.
When I wrote my reply, I had a nagging feeling in my mind that LNER used to position a unit in Leeds p1 overnight, but I didn't feel confident enough to mention it!

DB

Leeds and York normally have Northern units stabled in most of the bay platforms overnight.

At one point a few years ago (might have been ten years ago actually...) there was an HST or two in Leeds as well for much of the night due to lack of capacity at Neville Hill - they'd make sure one power car was outside the train shed and leave it running.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Guildford is another SWR location with trains berthed in various through platforms overnight, and SWR also use bay platforms P4 and P5 at Reading overnight..

Established Member
Later in the evening, I've noticed that there's often a couple of Class 800s in the platform roads further away from the entrance for a while, although whether they stay there overnight or are waiting to go somewhere else, I don't know.
They go up to Stoke Gifford.

On Moderation
Alot of trains are berthed also overnight at Station termini where the train ends its day. Like Leeds/Weymouth/penzance/Some London Stations possibly. Portsmouth Harbour/Southsea/Man picc/Carlisle and many more for there next days journeys as prob not enough paths for trains to enter and leave the depot

Also plenty of sidings around the network too. For example Basingstoke Barton Mill/Poole/Southampton etc etc. Example below.
SWR have a fleet of around 400 so...
Weymouth station
Poole sidings
Bournemouth Depot
Bournemouth sidings.
Southampton sidings.
Eastleigh area(possibly)
Basingstoke Barton mill
Woking plat 6
Wimbledon Depot
Clapham yard
Possibly Waterloo.
Strawberry hill
Portsmouth stations/Fratton depot
Possibly Guildford
Reading Bay platform.
Salisbury depot
Exeter sidings/Station
Other sidings anyone know of on SWR?
Farnham depot and Staines Carriage sidings. There will also be Feltham sidings coming on line soon.

Class 170101

Established Member
Its become pretty much standard for units to be outstabled in the last few years. New trains are franchise winners and passenger pleasers, unfortunately the infrastructure needed to go with them is expensive and if it can be avoided by stabling trains in platforms then it will be, however as highlighted it causes disruption for NR when they want to clean and maintain platform lines, nevermind the outstabling headache for planners to find room elsewhere for them.

4REP

Its become pretty much standard for units to be outstabled in the last few years. New trains are franchise winners and passenger pleasers, unfortunately the infrastructure needed to go with them is expensive and if it can be avoided by stabling trains in platforms then it will be, however as highlighted it causes disruption for NR when they want to clean and maintain platform lines, nevermind the outstabling headache for planners to find room elsewhere for them.
I also forgot Northam Depot

jamesst

West Kirby and Birkenhead Central too.

Southport, Kirkdale cs, Birkenhead North depot, Birkenhead Central Bay, rock ferry 3&4, hooton platform 1, new brighton and west kirby.
Its not that uncommon for Ormskirk,Hunts Cross and Chester to be used aswell, normally when there's engineering work.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
plus two sidings at Epsom, platform 1 at Barnham and some (one or two) platfroms at Brighton. Tonbridge Jubilee sidings as well for 3-car shuttle
Redhill Goods Loop
Haywards Heath Siding
Gatwick Sidings
GWR berth in the loco sidings at Redhill too

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Are the bay platforms at West Croydon & Crystal Palace used to stable any units?
Think London Overground use Crystal Palace, not sure about West Croydon.
Of course, there are other places that can be used but aren't. Purley Platform 6, Epsom Downs, I think Sutton Platform 4
There's also Oxted Bay for diesels that's used sometimes. East Grinstead, Uckfield are also used to berth stock

Last edited by a moderator:

Alfonso

Is nothing kept in Tidmouth Sheds any more? I suppose not very practical for multiple units

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Are the bay platforms at West Croydon & Crystal Palace used to stable any units?

Crystal Palace is certainly used - I've seen up to 2 trains there before (usually P3 & P6) and sometimes more during possessions.

Andyh82

Established Member
You can at Hull if you arrive when the station opens at 04:45, all 6 platforms are stacked up with units, and the rest are in the sidings by Platform 2, roughly around 20 units overnight
I recall one of those Channel 5 documentaries that explained how it’s a fine art to stack up all the units in the right order at night.

Northern stable trains all over the place, as well as the depots, there are various types of carriage sidings some that are like mini depots, sidings at or near stations, ‘middle roads’ in stations and then finally just leaving units in platforms.

Welly

Like to see some pictures of stations full of trains, could one take them early in summer?
Lincoln stables 156s, 153s and 158s overnight in the platforms - easily photographed from either the Pelham bridge (it will be closed this summer for refurbishment) or the pedestrian footbridge.

FGW_DID

Established Member
I recall one of those Channel 5 documentaries that explained how it’s a fine art to stack up all the units in the right order at night.

Northern stable trains all over the place, as well as the depots, there are various types of carriage sidings some that are like mini depots, sidings at or near stations, ‘middle roads’ in stations and then finally just leaving units in platforms.
Ha Ha, it most certainly is. I explain it as trying to do a jigsaw without seeing the picture and somebody keeps pinching pieces, or, keeping plates spinning in the same direction whilst people trying to spin various plates in the opposite direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.