• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
OK; let's see...

South West Main Line
Two platforms
Its number of platforms, when combined with something related to Birmingham, is unique on the SWML

HST Power

Established Member
OK; let's see...

South West Main Line
Two platforms
Its number of platforms, when combined with something related to Birmingham, is unique on the SWML

No idea. I need some expansion on the Birmingham thing....

Ivo

Established Member
A lot of stations on the route have two platforms. But among those, it has a unique association with Birmingham. That's all I can say.

Ivo

Established Member
Nice try; throwing both at me :lol:

Winchester is correct; Southampton AP is not. Why? The town (city) it serves is the only one on the route to have more than one direct connection to Brum; it has both rail and road (the A34, allowing for its various mergers with other roads).

HST Power

Established Member
Nice try; throwing both at me :lol:

Winchester is correct; Southampton AP is not. Why? The town (city) it serves is the only one on the route to have more than one direct connection to Brum; it has both rail and road (the A34, allowing for its various mergers with other roads).

Next! (I love posting that!)

me123

Established Member
Let's try this one. Four platform station on the WCML. Only two platforms serve the WCML itself, however London-bound trains can theoretically depart from any platform.

me123

Established Member
Nope. It might be a bit too general, so I'll add on a bit to it.

Four platform station on the WCML. Only two platforms serve the WCML itself, however London-bound trains can theoretically depart from any platform, although are extremely unlikely to do so in normal service. For three of these platforms, this involves a detour further North before turning back and rejoining the Southbound WCML further down the line.

me123

Established Member
Not Lancaster, but yes Motherwell is right! (I think Lancaster has 5 platforms).

Platforms 1&2 serve the WCML; Platform 3&4 serve primarily the Hamilton Circle. London bound trains can in fact depart from any Platform. Most obviously depart from Platform 1, but they can depart from 2, 3 or 4 if they go North via Holytown and back South via Wishaw to rejoin the WCML there. Of course, it's unlikely that a train from Platform 2 would ever depart for London in such a way (mostly because it would have originated South of Motherwell), but it's theoretically possible.

Floor's open.

dzug2

Maybe too easy:

FGW
two stations, each with one platform
serving similarly named settlements some considerable distance apart
contenders for a least frequent service award

Ivo

Established Member
South Wales Main Line
Two platforms
Depending on whether you use the English or Welsh alphabet, either one half or one third of its name is formed of the same letter...

Mysterium

South Wales Main Line
Two platforms
Depending on whether you use the English or Welsh alphabet, either one half or one third of its name is formed of the same letter...

Would that be Llanelli then?

Status
Not open for further replies.