• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle

Established Member
This is a staffed (part-time), unbarriered suburban station.

Served by one TOC, with two more passing through at speeds over 60 mph.

The station footbridge is a public right of way, due to a nearby level crossing being closed and not replaced with a bridge.

It is permitted to double back to reach this station.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here's your 48-hour clue:

Almost all services at this station are provided by a single class of MU.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

Earley?

Canley is staffed 18 hours a day per National Rail - could always be out of date though

Ivo

Established Member
This station is served by almost all trains on its route, even though it has only a few thousand passengers every year and less than 2% of the number seen at the next station down the line [intentional choice of term]; only a very small number of peak services do not call here. It is on an electrified single line that in years gone by had a gap in the service on Thursdays to allow freight operation.

dzug2

This station, a former junction, has two platforms and is served by one TOC. In the general vicinity (up to 5 miles maybe) there are 4 tunnels, one of them disused.

Eagle

Established Member
Never a junction (that I know of)

Yes it was, it was the junction for the GWR's Devizes branch (which ran from the B&H at Pewsey to the Wilts & Weymouth at a point south of Melksham), which coincidentally I happened to have just suggested in the reopenings thread. I just assumed there were tunnels round there, well, because Pewsey is in an eponymous valley...

Let's try Newbury.

dzug2

Kemble (there's a few tunnels round there, and it was a junction for both Cirencester and Tetbury).

Correct - there's Kemble tunnel just outside the station, and Sapperton Tunnel (which is actually two) on the way to Stroud.

And the disused one (not too devious I hope) is the Sapperton canal tunnel

Your go

dzug2

Fenchurch Street? 4 platforms. If you add in Tower Gateway (2) and Tower Hill (3), which 'service' it, there's 9

Though Tower Hill has through platforms so maybe that's stretching it a bit too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.