• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a train class..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I don't know if this ones been done before, and it might get boring, but lets give it a go anyway eh?
Basically it follows the same vein as I'm thinking of a Station, all UK train classes can be used, I don't see why steam classes can't be used also, to add a bit more variety.
So to start..

1) I have three coaches
2) I have a 400hp engine under each coach
3) I was built after 1985

What is it though?

ONE GUESS AT A TIME PLEASE!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm okay then:

1) I'm electric
2) I was used on one line only during my entire career
3) I had a unique (for GB) power system

Ivo

Established Member
OK; sounds fun! Let's see what you make of this:

(1) No less than 112 of this class were built.
(2) These units spent their entire lives on one specific part of the network.
(3) The timing of the introduction of these units may have caused Beeching to overlook including this route in his second report (about investment).
(4) One unit had an unfortunate accident with a lorry which caused it to have an unusual link to 504s from Bury (as per ainsworth's question).
(5) The area this class served is not north of the M62 corridor. (So it is either in the corridor or south of it.)
(6) No station served by this unit on a typical journey (so no Melksham for instance) has more than five National Rail platforms.

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
Could it be the eurotunnel car carrier thingies?

Schnellzug

Established Member
I'm thinking about these 112 units. I was thinking either SR DEMUs, but i don't think there was anywhere near 112 of them, or TransPennine DMUs, but again, i wouldn't have thought 112, unless it was 112 individual cars.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes can we get clarification on whether we're talking about 112 units or 112 vehicles?

Example: There are 51 class 185s with 153 vehicles total.

Ivo

Established Member
Sorry; had to dash out without warning!

By "112 of this class" I mean 112 complete sets, so 25 Class 143 units (two scrapped) as opposed to 50 Class 143 coaches (four scrapped).

And no, it's not a 143.

Ivo

Established Member
No and no.

If done right, even this can be difficult! :D

OK:

(5) The area this class served is not north of the M62 corridor. (So it is either in the corridor or south of it.)

Ivo

Established Member
Yarrr, very well.

(6) No station served by this unit on a typical journey (so no Melksham for instance) has more than five National Rail platforms.

Ivo

Established Member
142 would be wrong.

Regarding Clue (6), in case you hadn't realised I mean regular services operated by the class, which the example - Melksham - is not for any class because it's such a rare route.

Schnellzug

Established Member
one small califaction; when you say that The timing of the introduction of these units may have caused Beeching to overlook including this route in his second report, does that mean that they were around at the time of Beeching, or if they had been he'd have overlooked them (?)

Ivo

Established Member
The units were already around by the time Beeching compiled his second report. This fact may have caused him to feel that the route had already been sufficiently improved and modernised at the time in question to negate the need to include it in his report. It would not be unreasonable to suggest that he would not have subjected the line to any total closure threat; even Serpell did not suggest as much.

Ivo

Established Member
Well done. The 302 it is. The rather ludicrous Clue (7) would have been thus: "Almost certainly the first train I ever travelled on!"

It is worth pointing out that the line had only just been electrified, with the 302 being the first in the modern 3xx series, when the good Doctor published his first report. Also, players of OpenTTD may be inteerested to know that the AM2 and AM10 units are of course 302s and 310s, one of which spent its entire career on the LTS, while the other was a late arrival!

Schnellzug

Established Member
Thank you.
I expect I could think of something if I had a bit of time for Thought, but until then, if anyone wishes to go, please, feel free.

deltic1989

Established Member
Ok this looks like fun i'll have a crack at this.
I'm a pre tops diesel, there was only one of me. I was a prototype and my decendents, are nicknamed after a cleaning machine. I had a bad experience with some cement tankers and never worked again.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
1) I spent most of life in one region of the country before spending my twilight years on a newly electrified line.
2) I was built before TOPS but served for years after.
3) I was built at York.

Status
Not open for further replies.