• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Impact of COVID 19 on drivers - Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOne

Good morning,

First time post on here, and I apologise if this question has already been answered numerous times. I have researched but can only find vague answers to the questions I have.

I have applied and been successful for a TOC passing the assessment stage and now awaiting a DMI.

My current employment is secure when you take into account the current climate with COVID 19 and I am wondering how being a train driver compares ? It would be great to hear from drivers (new/experienced) as well as those who may be in training. I understand some TOC furloughed the trainees during the pandemic but are now back training ? In essence, what I’m trying to determine is if train driving will be adversely affected by COVID 19 now and post pandemic, due to companies and employees leaning more towards the remote working ? Is London going to be a shadow of its former self office worker wise ?!

I have a young family, mortgage etc, and if successful really want to pursue a career as a train driver, but would like a balanced view from the guys and girls who are already employed in the industry. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2L70

On Moderation
Nobody really knows, and those who say they do are lying.

I was asked the question on this by a recently passed out Guard, and the best answer I could give is if a certain depot loses a large amount of work(Worcester SH WMT)and are looking to reduce numbers that would be retirements, transfers or applying for other jobs of their own Choice.

PlayerOne

Thanks for the reply. And yes, it’s very subjective and opinionated as to the direction of the rail industry post pandemic. I see the attraction for some working from home, working parents for example. But young professionals may want to return to the office, albeit that decision may be taken out of their hands by the organisation to save office space costs etc.
I know there isn’t a definitive answer but interested to hear about people’s experiences and advice.

The advice I’ve had so far is to go for it and suggested that being a train driver is as secure as emergency device workers ? I live near to London so maybe that geographic location may mean more security - who knows !

choochoochoo

Established Member
My observations are that peaks are quieter, but then furlough is still being paid by HM government. I expect to see more people travelling during the peak once that's over.

Off-peak the passenger numbers are at what they were pre-pandemic.

So my opinion is that I see a small reduction in peak capacity and possible nationalisation. It can't be profitable to run those peak trains at 10%-25% capacity. I believe it's the peak fares that subsidise the off-peak service.

PlayerOne

My observations are that peaks are quieter, but then furlough is still being paid by HM government. I expect to see more people travelling during the peak once that's over.

Off-peak the passenger numbers are at what they were pre-pandemic.

So my opinion is that I see a small reduction in peak capacity and possible nationalisation. It can't be profitable to run those peak trains at 10%-25% capacity. I believe it's the peak fares that subsidise the off-peak service.

Thanks very helpful, thanks a lot ! That had slipped my mind the fact people are furloughed until October. May well see an increase as you’ve eluded to.

In your opinion do you think things will get back to almost how they use to be ? I’m gauging the need for train drivers as it was pre-pandemic. I feel that the economy will pick up eventually and people will want to return to working at an office rather than at home to break up the monotony of constantly being at home.

iphone76

I work for a London based metro TOC which has been getting busier and busier for months (we were the first company to return to a normal weekday service months ago). This is especially noticeable the closer you get towards London from zone 4 in.

At our more outer stations, and on the trains which serve outer suburban destinations, those trains are still a lot quieter as their more office based passengers remain at home.

I'd personally say still pursue it. It is a great job and things will hopefully return to some sense of normality.

A few older drivers at our place have also brought forward their retirement plans after this as they re-evaluated things after all this, which makes it a bit more secure for us further down the seniority list.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, out of interest have you all been furloughed ?
By definition anyone who’s been made to stay at home and not work is furloughed, but I don’t know of any TOC trainees who have been furloughed per se (ie; they’re on 80% salary) as the Government is basically paying for the railways at the moment. I know some FOCs (if not all?), and Grand Central furloughed staff (as they’re not government funded presumably). I’m in the same boat and have been off for 5 months so far, however we get regular ish training sessions via Zoom/Teams (I guess if you’re furloughed through the HMG scheme any form or work would be out of the question?).

Looking hopeful for a September return but I’m not holding my breath just yet.

PlayerOne

I work for a London based metro TOC which has been getting busier and busier for months (we were the first company to return to a normal weekday service months ago). This is especially noticeable the closer you get towards London from zone 4 in.

At our more outer stations, and on the trains which serve outer suburban destinations, those trains are still a lot quieter as their more office based passengers remain at home.

I'd personally say still pursue it. It is a great job and things will hopefully return to some sense of normality.

A few older drivers at our place have also brought forward their retirement plans after this as they re-evaluated things after all this, which makes it a bit more secure for us further down the seniority list.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

That’s great, thanks for the reply. Really good to hear from people in or getting into the industry and how it’s affected things. It’s DEFINITELY something I want to pursue and appreciate people’s input to alleviate the concerns I’ve raised.
The people I have spoken to personally all say it’s a great job and believe the railway will only ever grow along with the population.

Thanks again for your reply

Taylor-j01

I applied to northern workington in Feb. may got and update to say due to covid it had been haulted the process
mid July got an email saying they are no longer recruiting for the depot

PlayerOne

By definition anyone who’s been made to stay at home and not work is furloughed, but I don’t know of any TOC trainees who have been furloughed per se (ie; they’re on 80% salary) as the Government is basically paying for the railways at the moment. I know some FOCs (if not all?), and Grand Central furloughed staff (as they’re not government funded presumably). I’m in the same boat and have been off for 5 months so far, however we get regular ish training sessions via Zoom/Teams (I guess if you’re furloughed through the HMG scheme any form or work would be out of the question?).

Looking hopeful for a September return but I’m not holding my breath just yet.

Thanks for the reply. The guys I have spoken to have said they haven’t been furloughed as qualified drivers but trainee drivers have been. As to whether that means they’ve just been told not to come is who knows ! Thanks for the reply, who knows what the future holds !

PlayerOne

I applied to northern workington in Feb. may got and update to say due to covid it had been haulted the process
mid July got an email saying they are no longer recruiting for the depot

Mate sorry to hear that ! Awful news ! Fingers crossed that when things get back to normal they may make a u turn and progress previous applicants.

PlayerOne

Nobody really knows, and those who say they do are lying.

I was asked the question on this by a recently passed out Guard, and the best answer I could give is if a certain depot loses a large amount of work(Worcester SH WMT)and are looking to reduce numbers that would be retirements, transfers or applying for other jobs of their own Choice.

Thanks for the reply. I agree, nobody knows and no one knows where this virus is heading, But a railway will be needed regardless I would have thought. I guess it’s just a case of seeing how things develop. Thanks again

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. The guys I have spoken to have said they haven’t been furloughed as qualified drivers but trainee drivers have been. As to whether that means they’ve just been told not to come is who knows ! Thanks for the reply, who knows what the future holds !
They are probably referring to not allowed in the cab, but not being Furloughed as such. Unless it's a Public Access TOC like Grand Central. Having said that, Grand Central Furloughed everyone as they weren't able to run trains due to the low passenger numbers so that's probably not a great example.

Moose27

I started with my TOC literally as lockdown began. Did a couple of online sessions but apart from that have not started training just yet. Been reassured a number of times that the training will happen, and I’m being paid training wage, so can’t really complain. Would love to get started though!

C001

[QUOTE="PlayerOne, post: 4716852, member: 79836"

Last edited:

Tom B

Established Member
Out of interest, has any TOC ever made drivers redundant?

I'd have thought that the highly skilled nature and large amount of training required would render it rather unlikely, and that if a TOC were overstaffed they'd simply wait for a couple to retire.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
A number of drivers who joined when the major expansions of driver recruitment in the 90s are coming up to retirement age so even if new positions dry up completely, there's gong to be several TOCs continuing to fill up vacant spots.

rakoczigabi

I’ve started the driving course in December, passed my rules in February and just started with my DI when lockdown started , drove 1 day and everything got suspended from the next day.
Sat at home for 5 weeks but had to call in every day just once they have an update. Then after that we were asked if we want to do cab cleaning , 4hrs / day Monday to Friday. I went in because I couldn’t sit at home no more. Got full trainee pay even for only working 4hrs.
we had our covid tests done last week and back at driving from next week with our DI.
I don’t think anyone got furloughed in my depot / TOC.
Spoke with other trainees in my group whose are different depots and they wasn’t asked to do cleaning so they haven’t been at work at all since March.

Stigy

Established Member
I’ve started the driving course in December, passed my rules in February and just started with my DI when lockdown started , drove 1 day and everything got suspended from the next day.
Sat at home for 5 weeks but had to call in every day just once they have an update. Then after that we were asked if we want to do cab cleaning , 4hrs / day Monday to Friday. I went in because I couldn’t sit at home no more. Got full trainee pay even for only working 4hrs.
we had our covid tests done last week and back at driving from next week with our DI.
I don’t think anyone got furloughed in my depot / TOC.
Spoke with other trainees in my group whose are different depots and they wasn’t asked to do cleaning so they haven’t been at work at all since March.
I assume it’s SWR? I’m bored but I’m not sure whether I’d entertain cleaning cabs. Seems like they want their cake and to eat it...

rakoczigabi

I assume it’s SWR? I’m bored but I’m not sure whether I’d entertain cleaning cabs. Seems like they want their cake and to eat it...

yeah SWR. At my depot there’s only 2 train / hr so I don’t clean much, also there’s 2 of us so we do talk more than clean
Also it’s good to speak with other drivers and get to know them and they do have small hints and tips about driving / routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.