• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Impact on passengers with disabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
It is a subject close to my heart as a big part of my job that I like to do well is assisted travel (I work as a train conductor). I thought I would post my musings as the issue was raised in another thread. They're not very structured but I thought it would be a good starting point to identify some possible problems, barriers and solutions to the issue of people with disabilities travelling as lock down eases - whether that is concerns caused by the virus itself, staff anxiety or unintended side consequences of measures like reduced capacity or introduction of rerouted one way systems meaning people who would ordinarily travel perfectly well independently find they struggle.

There are plenty of issues when you dig deep into it. A lot of visually impaired passengers I know have their own mental maps and these will be severely disrupted by things like the one way system. They may also struggle to negotiate the provisions on board trains. A lot of staff are rightly or wrongly extremely reticent to provide passenger assistance at the moment as they don't want to be in direct personal contact with anyone else.

Is travelling somewhere by train because you want a different range of leisure locations to exercise really essential travel even if you can't drive, whether it's due to poor vision or just not having a licence?

It is a fine tightrope to walk at the moment and I imagine the railway is technically on the wrong side of the law as with other industries.

We are still, albeit perhaps reluctantly at an individual level, providing passenger assistance services to people for things like trips to hospitals and shopping.

Personally I've tried to approach this in a common sense way - if someone needs personal contact I wear a short sleeved shirt so I can make skin to skin contact rather than clothes so it can easily be washed later. I ask the person involved to stay away from me where possible and only get close when I have to. I wear a fresh pair of gloves and throw them away immediately afterwards. I will still help people who need it.

Ultimately if someone is making a leisure journey to exercise personally I wouldn't dream of stopping them but I would expect them to provide their own sighted guide if that was what was required to allow them to travel safely rather than getting the railway's staff involved.

The way the railway is being run at the moment will cause problems for people with disabilities, there is no question about it, and it needs to be approached in a sensitive manner both to keep the railway and it's users safe and make it accessible where necessary.

It's something I've been pondering today while working in a face mask - I'm painfully aware that normally I do a lot of smiling to put people at ease and also allow them to lip read if necessary and this isn't possible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
It is a subject close to my heart as a big part of my job that I like to do well is assisted travel (I work as a train conductor). I thought I would post my musings as the issue was raised in another thread. They're not very structured but I thought it would be a good starting point to identify some possible problems, barriers and solutions to the issue of people with disabilities travelling as lock down eases - whether that is concerns caused by the virus itself, staff anxiety or unintended side consequences of measures like reduced capacity or introduction of rerouted one way systems meaning people who would ordinarily travel perfectly well independently find they struggle.

There are plenty of issues when you dig deep into it. A lot of visually impaired passengers I know have their own mental maps and these will be severely disrupted by things like the one way system. They may also struggle to negotiate the provisions on board trains. A lot of staff are rightly or wrongly extremely reticent to provide passenger assistance at the moment as they don't want to be in direct personal contact with anyone else.

Is travelling somewhere by train because you want a different range of leisure locations to exercise really essential travel even if you can't drive, whether it's due to poor vision or just not having a licence?

It is a fine tightrope to walk at the moment and I imagine the railway is technically on the wrong side of the law as with other industries.

We are still, albeit perhaps reluctantly at an individual level, providing passenger assistance services to people for things like trips to hospitals and shopping.

Personally I've tried to approach this in a common sense way - if someone needs personal contact I wear a short sleeved shirt so I can make skin to skin contact rather than clothes so it can easily be washed later. I ask the person involved to stay away from me where possible and only get close when I have to. I wear a fresh pair of gloves and throw them away immediately afterwards. I will still help people who need it.

Ultimately if someone is making a leisure journey to exercise personally I wouldn't dream of stopping them but I would expect them to provide their own sighted guide if that was what was required to allow them to travel safely rather than getting the railway's staff involved.

The way the railway is being run at the moment will cause problems for people with disabilities, there is no question about it, and it needs to be approached in a sensitive manner both to keep the railway and it's users safe and make it accessible where necessary.

It's something I've been pondering today while working in a face mask - I'm painfully aware that normally I do a lot of smiling to put people at ease and also allow them to lip read if necessary and this isn't possible.

I think you've got that pretty well spot on.

I've a particular interest in the issue of visual impairment (VI) as I do a lot with a VI charity, which was useful a few months ago when I realised staff at New Street had put a blind chap in the Voyager that terminates at Crewe rather than the Scottish portion of the 1815!

There will be difficulties (how is a blind person to maintain social distancing without sight?) but with goodwill from all sides and the sort of sensible but thoughtful adjustments you clearly make I think it can be worked through.

I salute you Sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.