• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Impartial Retailing - Child / Adult Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamcoppard

Just thinking about all the mentions to impartial retailing etc. on the forum whereby the tickets requested must be sold. Does this apply to child tickets - or is it more for route / TOC restrictions i.e to stop TOC 1 only selling tickets for TOC 1 where TOC 2 is less restrictive / cheaper / whatever.

I recall an incident a few years ago when I was a child where the ticket office refused to sell me a child ticket (which I explicitly asked for) - should I have (and still now, if I requested it) be sold the ticket (I would understand telling me it's not valid if I'm 16 or over - and then proceeding to give it to me).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Child tickets are discounted adult tickets and so, where the clerk does not believe the customer is entitled to have a child ticket, they do not have to offer or sell it. If the passenger can prove they are entitled to a child ticket, they would be offered it.

island

Veteran Member
The principle of impartial retailing does not to my knowledge apply to ticket discounts, only to stop unnecessarily expensive routes or ticket types being offered. In a similar way, I don't think someone the clerk is required to inform someone showing up at Euston this time tomorrow and asking for one adult one child single to Manchester to get a F&F railcard.

richw

Veteran Member
but if I were to buy simply a child ticket, not for myself, but for say a 14-15 year old relation, perhaps that was coming to stay, would that be refused that purchase as I am not a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.