• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Impending closure of the Paddington to South Ruislip direct route

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidGrain

Established Member
Will the Chiltern Railways service stop at Drayton Green and Castle Bar Park and South Greenford or will it just run non stop?
These stations are not part of the Chiltern franchise so no they will not stop at those stations

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will the Chiltern Railways service stop at Drayton Green and Castle Bar Park and South Greenford or will it just run non stop?
No calls. As can be seen on RTT, however as you’d expect the track access application didn’t include any extra calls.

PeterY

Established Member
Is anyone doing the final run from Paddington on Dec 7th?

DavidGrain

Established Member
As I plan to take a Chiltern train to London on 7th December, I did look at the possibility of taking this last train to Paddington but unfortunately I have appointments in London which would be too tight to risk taking this train. Best wishes to anyone thinking of doing this run.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good afternoon, not sure if this is in the correct area?

I was on a main line steam hauled train yesterday, (24 Nov). This departed from Paddington and made it's way upto the Chiltern Line towards High Wycome etc. The first part of the journey went along the little used direct line that goes from Paddington, past Greenford before the the Chiltern line from Marylebone joins around South Ruislip. There was an announcement made on the train, that this line was soon to be MothBalled and we were thought to be the last loco hauled train along the line. I just wondered why that line was being taken out of service and what would happen to the occasional scheduled Chiltern service from Paddington? Thanks.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Good afternoon, not sure if this is in the correct area?

I was on a main line steam hauled train yesterday, (24 Nov). This departed from Paddington and made it's way upto the Chiltern Line towards High Wycome etc. The first part of the journey went along the little used direct line that goes from Paddington, past Greenford before the the Chiltern line from Marylebone joins around South Ruislip. There was an announcement made on the train, that this line was soon to be MothBalled and we were thought to be the last loco hauled train along the line. I just wondered why that line was being taken out of service and what would happen to the occasional scheduled Chiltern service from Paddington? Thanks.

I believe the line is being taken out of use due to HS2 which requires part of the line for works for the tunnel. However there are long term plans for Chiltern to use the line towards Old Oak Common as an additional Terminus to provide extra capacity.

paok

Network Rail will sever the track near to the junction with the Great Western main line to make way for a conveyor belt that HS2 will be utilising to remove spoil material from the Old Oak Common station site.

According to BLN, the section of line from Park Royal Junction east to the severed point (with newly-installed buffers) will be renamed Wycombe Siding and officially be signed out of use but can be brought back into use anytime (such as for HS2 construction use)

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Network Rail will sever the track near to the junction with the Great Western main line to make way for a conveyor belt that HS2 will be utilising to remove spoil material from the Old Oak Common station site.

According to BLN, the section of line from Park Royal Junction east to the severed point (with newly-installed buffers) will be renamed Wycombe Siding and officially be signed out of use but can be brought back into use anytime (such as for HS2 construction use)
It is a bit drastic to severe a line for the sake of a temporary conveyor belt, why not simply put the conveyor over the track?

What about after HS2 construction though? Nobody seems to be forward thinking at all. If anything bringing the line back into full passenger use could actually benefit people *sigh*

Veteran Member
It is a bit drastic to severe a line for the sake of a temporary conveyor belt, why not simply put the conveyor over the track?

What about after HS2 construction though? Nobody seems to be forward thinking at all. If anything bringing the line back into full passenger use could actually benefit people *sigh*
See post #39.

jfisher21

I suppose the line is hardly high priority as there is an alternative route to Paddington from chiltern land via south greenford and west ealing and probably no paths available from old oak common to Paddington due to crossrail. No objections here to letting HS2 have it!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I suppose the line is hardly high priority as there is an alternative route to Paddington from chiltern land via south greenford and west ealing and probably no paths available from old oak common to Paddington due to crossrail. No objections here to letting HS2 have it!
There isn’t a practical route into Paddington any longer, which is why they are terminating Chiltern at West Ealing; which is what this thread started out about.

The Planner

Veteran Member

Putting a section C notice on it then.

Kempo

Someone has told me today that the route via Park Royal closed on Monday and the Paddington trains are now running via west Ealing....anyone know if this is correct?

Esker-pades

Established Member
Someone has told me today that the route via Park Royal closed on Monday and the Paddington trains are now running via west Ealing....anyone know if this is correct?
The last service is on December the 7th.
The first service from West Ealing is on December the 10th.
It changes at the timetable changes (December the 9th).

JN114

Established Member

No, 2M29 today went via Park Royal, and last time I checked GWR plan to use it at christmas.

tomsy47

I was wondering that myself, as I saw a three car Chiltern 165 in the West Ealing bay platform yesterday morning. I wonder whether that was due to the disruption around Hanwell though.

JN114

Established Member
I was wondering that myself, as I saw a three car Chiltern 165 in the West Ealing bay platform yesterday morning. I wonder whether that was due to the disruption around Hanwell though.

Chiltern have been running regular route learners in and out the bay for a while now.

Nippy

Lets hope they don't use a three car when in service, as the Greenford car is meant to go in and out on top at West Ealing.....

TrainTube

On the route right now, such a shame it's disappearing. I think a route to old oak common when HS2 starts would be smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.