• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Important stations with no toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcheek

Established Member
I would say Clapham Junction, one set of toilets, on the footbridge at the platform 17(?) end. If memory serves me correctly the gents only has one toilet and 3 urinals. Completely inadequate for a station that is this busy, and very very hidden away. I only found them one day, when I had nearly an hour wait for my train, and was thinking it would be simpler to take a train to Victoria/Waterloo, use the facilities there, and there catch a train back!

I agree with this, atrocious provision at Clapham Junction. One time I was waiting to use the cubicle, a guy came out, and declared "Hang on, Im not done yet", as he went to get some paper towels, since there was no toilet paper....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Putney only has a radar key operated accessible toilet despite being rebuilt and having its concourse greatly enlarged only a few years ago.

johntea

Established Member
Shipley never used to have any as far as I am aware, unless the cafe has some!

Putney only has a radar key operated accessible toilet despite being rebuilt and having its concourse greatly enlarged only a few years ago.

Yes I was really annoyed at this, surely equally rights works both ways, there is ample room for toilet facilities even after expanding the retail outlets

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes I was really annoyed at this, surely equally rights works both ways, there is ample room for toilet facilities even after expanding the retail outlets
Yes, I found it extraordinary given the scope of the rebuild, how busy the station is, and the lack of public toilets anywhere nearby.

PeterC

Established Member
Whitby has no toilets for passengers, those in the restaurant and the "Waiting Room" are specifically for their customers. Public toilets across the road are 40p.

johnnychips

Established Member
Whitby has no toilets for passengers, those in the restaurant and the "Waiting Room" are specifically for their customers. Public toilets across the road are 40p.
And jolly clean they are too - don't mind paying for toilets in good nick.

Parallel

Established Member
Whitland. Ok, probably not 'important' to many but as it's a junction there's potential for interchange. No waiting room either, just a canopy on one side and an open 'shelter' on the other, neither of which provide any shelter from the howling gales that blow through (ok, maybe not quite 'howling gales' but it does seem to be a rather windy spot). With a wait of potentially half an hour (longer and you might be able to travel to Carmarthen and back to change there instead, although your ticket probably wouldn't be valid for that) the current 'almost nothing' is not really good enough.

I would agree with this, the facilities at Whitland really aren’t great. It’s hardly a major station but I think passengers should expect better facilities to what are provided.

Clifton Down gets my vote. A relatively busy station with nothing really. There is a shopping centre nearby which is good but the station itself is underwhelming.

johnr57

Malton unless the cafe , the home of the hearty breakfast , is open

bobbyrail

Slightly away from the OP’s point, but the toilets at Preston are closed at the moment, and Virgin have provided three portaloos just outside the station entrance instead. Three individual toilets. For a busy interchange station. And this evening two of them were unusable and constituted a health risk. I mentioned this to the on duty supervisor and literally got a shrug and a “sorry nothing to do with me”

What was the health risk???

Any i don't wish to be funny but what qualifies you to make such an assessment!

Like i say not being funny just interested, are you an EHO if so have you taken the steps necessary to support enforcement.

sheff1

Established Member
The idea of what is an "important station" makes interesting reading on here. Some of the stations mentioned will be unknown to many living in the surrounding area, never mind people from further afield.

Andrew1395

Sunderland !
At less than half a million users a year, Sunderland has more than a million fewer users than Bushey. Which lost its public toilets more than thirty years ago. London Underground trains do not have toilets, but at least the LNW trains fo.

AndyHudds

What if you don't have 40p on you?

After holidaying in the area with my two grandsons they have cottoned on to getting you to use contactless at the public conveniences. Any one who doesn't fancy paying in Whitby there is also a Wetherspoons close by to the station where the facilities are good.

Sad the the improvements at Putney did not consider toilet provision. This should always be on the architects list.
Here in Newcastle the 2015 improvements added a facility on the main concourse by Platform 12.
Now them and those on Platforms 3/4 still have ladies queuing at peak times as we become even more of a party city!!

trainophile

Established Member
After holidaying in the area with my two grandsons they have cottoned on to getting you to use contactless at the public conveniences. Any one who doesn't fancy paying in Whitby there is also a Wetherspoons close by to the station where the facilities are good.

And there's toilets in the Co-op just across the road from the station.

trainophile

Established Member
Morpeth is an interesting one. The NRE facilities info just shows "Yes" to toilets, but what they don't tell you is that they are only open during ticket office hours, and close at 12:40pm. As does the waiting room.

AY1975

Established Member
A lot of staffed suburban stations on the South Western suburban network don't have a toilet - particularly bad as neither do the 455's that serve them.

Not just South Western Railway, but Southern stations too. Vauxhall and West Croydon don't have toilets, for example (in both cases the adjacent bus station does, though).

For many years Balham station had no toilets even though neighbouring Wandsworth Common (where Sutton via Mitcham Junction trains don't call) does still have them. According to the National Rail website Balham does now have an accessible toilet, though (probably a similar situation to Putney).

Most smaller suburban stations in London and other major cities gradually lost their toilets between the 1970s and the 1990s. To be fair, though, you probably wouldn't class stations such as Queenstown Road (Battersea), North Sheen, Hampton Wick or Berrylands as "important" stations.

AY1975

Established Member
Yes, I found it extraordinary given the scope of the rebuild, how busy the station is, and the lack of public toilets anywhere nearby.

Actually there are: just round the corner from Putney station is Putney library which has toilets (turn right out of the station, then first turning on the right. It's closed on Tuesdays, though). Or if you don't mind a slightly longer walk there is the Putney Exchange shopping centre (on the left-hand side of Putney High Street about halfway between Putney station and the River Thames).

Grecian 1998

It's not unstaffed (as a station), the ticket office is, but there are still staff available until the station closes

At a recent meeting I attended, an SWR manager was tackled about this state of affairs (the toilets), and apparently the best suggestion is to simply use the ones on the train. Given the state of the average SWR/GWR onboard toilet, and the fact they are often out of order as well, people in the meeting weren't convinced.

Of course, what amazes/saddens me is how people manage to get public toilets into such a horrendous state in the first place - a complete lack of disrespect

I think there was also a problem with a lot of local characters 'consuming purchases' in the toilets. The station isn't in the most affluent part of the town, and the town suffers the same drug related problems as many seaside resorts with very seasonal economies.

There is invariably a SWR service sitting at the station unlocked (often two), so the advice to use the onboard toilets, whilst not ideal, does make some sense. As the 444s have 5 coaches, there should be at least one toilet which isn't too grotty.

Agreed about the way people use public toilets - but that's a societal problem which isn't easy to solve. Weymouth station could really do with ticket barriers as the user numbers seem a bit low, suggesting fares aren't being paid (not necessarily evasion given there are many unstaffed stations nearby). If it got them, it might be possible to put a portakabin on the platforms or similar. Again not ideal but better than nothing.

Back o/t, Filton Abbey Wood and Digby & Sowton lack toilets or any nearby facilities, although the former is constrained by the MoD buildings next door. The latter has a lot of rugby crowds - I imagine waiting for a late running train after a game isn't much fun given many people may be well refreshed.

apinnard

Chappel and Wakes Colne. Seriously! If you've been drinking at the Swan and need to take a leak before the last train to Mark's Tey arrives, it's really painful. From experience.

Also, whilst St Pancras has toilets, I find that whoever designed them really under specified the capacity of the ladies. Not that I use the ladies, just there always seems to be a massive queue for them.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Actually there are: just round the corner from Putney station is Putney library which has toilets (turn right out of the station, then first turning on the right. It's closed on Tuesdays, though). Or if you don't mind a slightly longer walk there is the Putney Exchange shopping centre (on the left-hand side of Putney High Street about halfway between Putney station and the River Thames).
That's fair enough, but I certainly wouldn't consider the shopping centre to be near enough to nip in while waiting for a train if you only have a few minutes to spare.

Mikey C

Established Member
Also, whilst St Pancras has toilets, I find that whoever designed them really under specified the capacity of the ladies. Not that I use the ladies, just there always seems to be a massive queue for them.

Agreed.

On a similar vein, the new toilets at London Bridge are too small as well, and with just 2 badly place hand dryers by the main entrance to the Gents. While it's great that NR have made them free, it does mean that non travellers will also use them as a general public convenience, adding to the congestion.

What's badly needed are toilets the other side of the barriers, especially as many of the trains either don't have toilets (376s, 455s) or can have rather unpleasant ones. There used to be plenty on the platforms, and there's enough space now downstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.