• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Importing Classic Foreign Diesels for Preservation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Indeed,I see why some of my friends liked going to Thailand,I always thought it was for other types of fun.
Anyhow here’s a little snippet from Tasmania,3’6” so no good over here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david_g

1655837452140.png

2'6" gauge, this beast should be arriving at the Welshpool & Llanfair on extended loan later this year. Anyone for a bit of Golfa thrash?

ANDREW_D_WEBB

There is the Alco S-1 at Railworld (though was used as an industrial loco here i think?) I'd love to see that thrashing down a line!
Too late. Rail Express June 2022 reports it has recently been cut up. It has yielded spares for the preserved example on the neighbouring Nene Valley

Several ex Netherlands 600 shunters have been imported, essentially similar to 08s

birchesgreen

Established Member
Too late. Rail Express June 2022 reports it has recently been cut up. It has yielded spares for the preserved example on the neighbouring Nene Valley

Several ex Netherlands 600 shunters have been imported, essentially similar to 08s

Thats a shame about the S-1 though when i saw it it didn't look like it'd ever move again.

At least one of those NS 600s is at that shunter collection at Darley Dale.

Gloster

Established Member
Had two - one is still there at Ongar.
I think that there were something like a dozen Finnish locos brought over some years ago. Quite why, I do not know. I think several ended up stored at a timber yard in Essex and many are probably now only suitable for scrap.

MarkyT

Established Member
Indeed,I see why some of my friends liked going to Thailand,I always thought it was for other types of fun.
Anyhow here’s a little snippet from Tasmania,3’6” so no good over here.
locaos
Ooh that's nice! I bet they're very similar in technical design to UK EE products of the same era. Perhaps class 20 bogies might be substituted under these in order to run on standard gauge, assuming they'd fit through structures and platforms.

Established Member
Portuguese 50 thrashing away somewhere.
There is an engine out of a Portuguese "class 50", their class 18 in the UK; it's in one of the class 50 Alliance locos though I can't remember exactly which one

You might be able to squeeze a DSB MX or MY into a few places - using a Class 31 for comparison an MY is 1.6 m longer, 33 cm wider, and 46 cm
Er, no! Comparison of size between a NOHAB and a class 86

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.