• We're pleased to advise that our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk, which helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase, has had some recent improvements, including PlusBus support. Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Impressive run Wellingborough-London, 1C29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
EMR 1C29 this morning, 222022 and friend, off Wellingborough nearly 2 late, arrived St. Pancras almost 13 early
(also an interesting trip because earlier it had done Leicester - Kettering via Manton and Corby)

Seemed like some spirited driving and no unexpected speed checks (Traksy had greens all the way where it shows signal aspects).

65 miles, 41.5 minutes, average speed 94mph

It’s a long time since I’ve been on a train that arrived 13 early - amazing what’s possible when there’s fewer pesky electric units about and no timetabled stops.

I wonder what the best time Wellingborough-St Pancras is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
EMR 1C29 this morning, 222022 and friend, off Wellingborough nearly 2 late, arrived St. Pancras almost 13 early
(also an interesting trip because earlier it had done Leicester - Kettering via Manton and Corby)

Seemed like some spirited driving and no unexpected speed checks (Traksy had greens all the way where it shows signal aspects).

It’s a long time since I’ve been on a train that arrived 13 early - amazing what’s possible when there’s fewer pesky electric units about and no timetabled stops.

Not quite what you asked for but I’ve a copy of an APT-E St Pancras - Leicester run from back in 1975 and the pass time at Wellingborough was around 37-38 mins.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You were fortunate. Service was booked to follow 1H33 from Bedford and 9R21, and has pathing time to allow for the latter’s calls.

1H33 was late off Wellingboro, and 1C29 overtook it at Bedford, whilst 9R21 was cancelled. It therefore got a clear run. It was lucky there was a spare platform at St P.

The Planner

Veteran Member

It had a significant amount of engineering recovery time in it for some reason which clearly wasnt required where a lot was made up. I bet 1H33 played a part.
Beaten to it by BaldRick! Should press enter instead of watching Spain Poland.

Skymonster

Established Member
You were fortunate. Service was booked to follow 1H33 from Bedford and 9R21, and has pathing time to allow for the latter’s calls.

1H33 was late off Wellingboro, and 1C29 overtook it at Bedford, whilst 9R21 was cancelled. It therefore got a clear run. It was lucky there was a spare platform at St P.
Interesting… It seemed to be the only train of the morning to arrive early from Derby so yes, lucky. Allowances made up almost all of the difference between the timetable and the actual run, but it was still one of the beet rides I’ve had from Wellingborough to St Pancras (and I’ve had a lot!).

Not quite what you asked for but I’ve a copy of an APT-E St Pancras - Leicester run from back in 1975 and the pass time at Wellingborough was around 37-38 mins.
Nice… I seem to recall the ATP did Leicester in under 60 - that’d be great

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Interesting… It seemed to be the only train of the morning to arrive early from Derby so yes, lucky. Allowances made up almost all of the difference between the timetable and the actual run, but it was still one of the beet rides I’ve had from Wellingborough to St Pancras (and I’ve had a lot!).

Nice… I seem to recall the ATP did Leicester in under 60 - that’d be great
Indeed it did, 58 mins 30 secs on that particular test run and touching nearly 138 mph at milepost 36 north of Luton!

peteb

Indeed it did, 58 mins 30 secs on that particular test run and touching nearly 138 mph at milepost 36 north of Luton!
Do you have a precise date for that run, as I'm certain I saw it going north at Desborough!

Diplodicus

In the 70s & 80s I used to commute frequently between St P to Nottingham 17:45 or 18:10 and ate dinner on board (real food too!). When first intrduced the 17:45 125 fast down was retimed to Leicester in about one hour. The poor senior dining car attendant needed a skateboard to get the service (and bill payment completed, and used to have to deal first with diners alighting in the City of Socks. Us "Snots" had to wait until after for puds, cheese and the bill. A little while later, the journey time was "relaxed" and a more realistic punctuality record prevailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.