• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Impromptu Mid Hants Diesel Gala this w/e!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymroglan

The railway has imposed its own steam ban, due to the glorious weather. So Class 50 Lion and the Hampshire Unit are rostered for Saturday & Sunday. Well worth a visit!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Could be tempted for the thumper alone, the 50 doesn't really do anything for me though. Still could be a excuse to spend money I don't have in Alton models. :p

455driver

Veteran Member
Could be tempted for the thumper alone, the 50 doesn't really do anything for me though. Still could be a excuse to spend money I don't have in Alton models. :p

How very dare you! <D

The 50s are the finest locos ever built (apart from the Deltics of course :lol:), and if you are there on Sunday I will drag you kicking and screaming for a ride behind the 50 which is rather "musical" when it leaves Alresford if the right driver is on!

I will then drag you, rather quieter no doubt, for a pint or 3! :lol:

Monty

Established Member
I'm sorry but our opinions on the 'finest' locos ever built differ greatly. They were designed by a one OVS Bulleid and rebuilt heavily by BR in late 50s :lol: ;)

I would need a pint or three to recover from the ordeal having to put up with a Hoover up the Meadstead Bank. :p

455driver

Veteran Member
Ah you are a spam man! :lol:

Okay, you tolerate the hoover and I will buy you a couple of pints, purely to help you recover of course! :lol:

Engineer

Thanks for the tip about Mid Hants running the Hampshire Unit July 14th weekends until it rains, what a super if hot Sunday outing that was. She climbed the Alps so easily, on what seemed tick over to me.

You will love this video link below of the Hasting Diesels on Parkstone Bank, just little under one minute from last Saturday. Google Weymouth Envoy if link fails.

http://youtu.be/iv4k8BuBmyg

Monty

Established Member
The thumper was good fun to ride in, it had been so long since I ridden in slammer of any kind I had almost forgotten what it was like! She is in need of a bit of a rub down and a repaint however, though internally she looked good. :)

WeyArunRailway

I'm sorry but our opinions on the 'finest' locos ever built differ greatly. They were designed by a one OVS Bulleid and rebuilt heavily by BR in late 50s :lol: ;)

I would need a pint or three to recover from the ordeal having to put up with a Hoover up the Meadstead Bank. :p

Agreed on all fronts except the BR rebuilds, which reduced said Pacifics' power and removed many of their most sophisticated, desirable features (lack of hammer blow due to chain valve gear, powered fire doors etc). Bulleids should be spam cans in malachite with sunshine stripes and lettering and high-sided tenders as far as I'm concerned!

PS - when is someone going to build that Bulleid 4-8-4, even if only in 10 1/4" gauge?

Engineer

Need to check Hampshire Unit is running tomorrow, Saturday 27th July 2013. Just love that English electric diesel, same as Ed, 600HP. No info of problem, but the unit has had a hammering the last three weeks.
Class 50 to Exeter at the end of Network South East was fun, especially the beer at Pub next to St David's station, Exeter. Regarding your Bullied discussion, being a S&D fan I love the West Country Class, seems to me the only people who can time the chains drives are ex Eastleigh Works. Wadebridge a good example of chain stretch, by my audio of the exhaust beat, must play hell with the coal consumption.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
No technical problems with the unit that I am aware of at the moment.

Monty - glad you liked the interior. The exterior is currently being worked on (specifically the roof at the moment!)

Status
Not open for further replies.