• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

In a website do you prefer more pictures or more text?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eezypeazy

I prefer web pages that are not so wide that I have to scroll sideways all the time!

Make your pages narrower, and they'll be easier to read, too.

Also, consider adding a "last updated" date to each page - that way we'll know how up-to-date such info as transport links is.

A good effort, and something I'm sure I'll return to frequently....

eezypeazy

Gavelex

It would be a good idea to put a page about Northen Hights walk on the london page, I saw about it a while ago and wanted to do it but couldnt find any infomation on it.

1. Make your pages narrower, and they'll be easier to read, too. - size isnt everything mate. I have a tracker on my site and I get information such as screen size of the persons monitor / screen. Myabe you have a small screen?

2. adding a "last updated" date to each page - This is a good idea and I will be adding this to new or edited reports shortly.

If you would like me to add you to the regular update newsletter I send to people please email me and I will add you to my list.

I prefer web pages that are not so wide that I have to scroll sideways all the time!

Make your pages narrower, and they'll be easier to read, too.

Also, consider adding a "last updated" date to each page - that way we'll know how up-to-date such info as transport links is.

A good effort, and something I'm sure I'll return to frequently....

eezypeazy

theblackwatch

Established Member
1. Make your pages narrower, and they'll be easier to read, too. - size isnt everything mate. I have a tracker on my site and I get information such as screen size of the persons monitor / screen. Myabe you have a small screen?

I have a 19" monitor at work and your page does not fit width wise - I would hardly call this a small screen. I would estimate that people would need at least a 21" monitor to view the homepage without having to scroll across.

T

Tom

Just as a note for page widths - if you look in the quick style chooser at the bottom I have optimised themes for resolutions, with the 800x600 being of a fixed width style, and the 1024x768 and above being a "flowing" style...

Perhaps something you could think about?

rail-britain

Established Member
I still create websites for 800px width
There are still computers out there with this resolution or less, but they are becoming less and less

Take bbc.co.uk as an example
When they realign their website for 1024px width I will do the same

The sample website has a variety of widths including 1206px and 1238px
Rather unusual

Gizmogle

Established Member
50041, your website would be my perfect example of a good website. (I tend to like anything colourful and tidy, containing a good amount of info)

The only thing is, I think it needs some text about the thumbnails, explaining what they are. Having to wait for the little message to appear, or looking into the corner to see where each link will take you is rather annoying.

Apart from that, the website is fantastic. Colourful, eye catching and plenty of information, while it still manages to stay perfectly neat and tidy. Great job.

As for railwaywalks.co.uk, the website does fit on my monitor okay, but is quite wide.
The website should be more colourful and attention grabbing. Text should be split up into smaller, easier to read chunks. Links should be underlined or in blue, as they don't look like links. Popups are very annoying. Also, a familiar tool bar or side menu that stays on every page is a good idea.
It's a good website, with great information, but just needs organising better, I think :)

me123

Established Member
50041, your website would be my perfect example of a good website. (I tend to like anything colourful and tidy, containing a good amount of info)

I can only agree with Gizmogle. It's well laid out and has the right balance.

On a side note, I particularly like the first thumbnails alternating between colour and "Black and White".

pedned

I have a 19" monitor at work and your page does not fit width wise - I would hardly call this a small screen. I would estimate that people would need at least a 21" monitor to view the homepage without having to scroll across.

Ive been on the site before- and everytime it seems fine on my monitor (17")

Mike McCormac

Hi - advice to '50041' - your home page looks spot on - but I'd suggest you host it somewhere else. It takes an age to download, and I gave up after a couple of minutes. Maybe I've just been unlucky and I'll try again later.

Status
Not open for further replies.