• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

In celebration of the Peco Streamline paper bag...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I bought some N gauge flexi track on Saturday that was presented to me in the standard paper bag pictured here:
View attachment 58991

It got me thinking though... I'm 45 now, yet I remember riding home on my bike from the model shop in Exeter as a 15 year old with exactly the same paper bag sticking out of my rucksack and wobbling around on the long ride home containing a few lengths of 00 flexi track paid for with my pocket money.
I don't know if the design of the bag has changed over the intervening three decades, but I don't think it has?
I know that on many of the forums threads any hint of nostalgic encouragement is there to be shot down by others (and probably rightly so). But...
This small unchanging relic from a past era still doing its originally designed job in an unfussy way unnoticed by generations is something to be celebrated I reckon. :lol:
(This is what's known as a slow news day ;))

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
wow peco still going are they still at beer in devon ??
i must have bought in excess off 100 metre perhaps 150 lengths nickle silver streamline but over 40 years ago :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
wow peco still going are they still a beer in devon ??
i must have bought in excess off 100 metre perhaps 150 lengths but over 40 years ago :D
Still going Big all. We were there a couple of weeks ago.
I wonder how many of those bags they've used over the decades..?

big all

On Moderation
from memory it was 10x1m lengths in a corrugated cardboard packet but off course time can play tricks on our memories ;)
the points where always in a proper from memory mainly blue colour printed box always large or medium radius as 3 links and jackson brass buffers dont work on small radius points or curves:D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
from memory it was 10x1m lengths in a corrugated cardboard packet but off course time can play tricks on our memories ;)
the points where always in a proper from memory mainly blue colour printed box always large or medium radius as 3 links and jackson brass buffers dont work on small radius points or curves:D
Cardboard packets? That's ringing a faint bell...
Is that what I actually remember from back then?
Memory does strange things to a man.

J-Rod

WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS WIBBLE?!

Nothing wrong with nostalgia as far as modelling is concerned. The smell of warm motors takes me back to many a Christmas..

Also, the design of the old Airfix (now Dapol) model buildings hasn't changed since my dad's era of doing this stuff in the 50's. Then again, 30s semis are just as relevant now!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS WIBBLE?!

Nothing wrong with nostalgia as far as modelling is concerned. The smell of warm motors takes me back to many a Christmas..

Also, the design of the old Airfix (now Dapol) model buildings hasn't changed since my dad's era of doing this stuff in the 50's. Then again, 30s semis are just as relevant now!
Absolute wibble, started by someone who should've known better.
I think it might've been after a trip to the pub...

Status
Not open for further replies.