In Praise of 'N'!

Discussion in 'Modelling, Simulations & Games' started by rogerfarnworth, 10 Jun 2019.

1. rogerfarnworth

rogerfarnworth Member

Last edited: 11 Jun 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

I have to agree Roger.
    I’ve recently taken the plunge due to a couple of friends that have started modelling in it and also the huge jump in quality over the last decade.
    This thread might interest you:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/oo-or-n-gauge.172003/

I really like the look of a scale train in the scenery, and N gives me the chance to do that.
    I’ve been eBaying my 00 stock bit by bit this last few months and using the money to buy N gauge replacements.
    I’ve also tackled scratch building various different things like bridges, buildings and warehouses this last few months and really enjoyed it.

That’s a great model of Hereford by the way. Thanks for posting the pictures.

4. swissrailpassion

swissrailpassion Member

I find N too small although I do like the long trains. For me it was the coupling issues; I like to shunt a little and use autocouplings so I've gone back to OO as I can adapt my own and use magnets to make everything hands free.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Established Member

I've not had a model railway for a long time, but when I modelled in my youth (80s), N gauge wasn't a very realistic option. The choice was very limited, and the quality was dreadful. Now, though, the quality has improved enormously, and the choice is somewhat better too. The range of ready to run stuff is still a bit smaller, and there's less available on the secondhand market, but it's certainly a viable option for starting a layout these days, much more so than it was twenty to thirty years ago.