• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inactive door control buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

Is it true that the central line used to be driverless and the door open/close buttons used to work? who decided to do away with that? seems pretty stupid to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Furrball

Central line has never been driverless, it is automatic however.

Door buttons were operational when the stock was first introduced AFAIAA

lewisf

It would be nice if the close buttons still worked. Was sitting at Ealing Broadway on Sunday waiting for the train to depart and the inside was soaked!

starrymarkb

Established Member
For the first few years the buttons were in use, then LU decided that all doors should be opened at all stations. I expect when they have a more major refurb they'll be plated over (much like the D Stock)

ess

ealing broadway needs a spectacular roof across all the nr and tube lines to solve that in style. although a more urgent requirement is just a footbridge on the london end of the platforms between tube and nr which would be a good start to make foot traffic flow better

tom1649

The door buttons on the 1996 stock (Jubilee) and 1995 stock (Northern) were in use for an even shorter length of time. I'm pretty sure in the case of the 1995 stock, the facility was withdrawn even before the entire fleet had entered service.

Dstock7080

Established Member
ealing broadway needs a . . . . . . . although a more urgent requirement is just a footbridge on the london end of the platforms between tube and nr which would be a good start
Coming to that station for Crossrail ;)

tom1649

Central Line (1992 stock)
Jubilee Line (1996 stock) - the former, now scrapped 1983 stock on this line had them too.
Northern Line (1995 stock)
Metropolitan Line (S stock)

The D Stock on the District Line had them until they were refurbished in 2006 - 2008. At this point the buttons were plated over.

JoeGJ1984

Are the S stock buttons active? Or are they just like all the other buttons and do nothing?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Active- they're there to help the airconditioning, and if stopped at a station for a few minutes (such as at terminals) any open doors will shut. I think the driver may still be able to open all doors at once at busy stations?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
They will. S stock doors always open - then close after 45 seconds - the buttons become active - if you press the button the door opens - then closes after 45 seconds - repeat until driver 'closes' the doors :)

45 seconds from the last movement through the door, I think it would cause a few people some panic if it was 45 secs from opening and there were still people going through ;) :smile:

causton

Established Member
45 seconds from the last movement through the door, I think it would cause a few people some panic if it was 45 secs from opening and there were still people going through ;) :smile:

Oops! Makes more sense - I thought it closed as soon as possible after 45 seconds i.e. if someone left at 44 seconds it would wait until they were out then close. Didn't realise it reset the timer :)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Oops! Makes more sense - I thought it closed as soon as possible after 45 seconds i.e. if someone left at 44 seconds it would wait until they were out then close. Didn't realise it reset the timer :)

I may be wrong, although I have always thought that it reset the timer. Thats certainly my experience with other Bombardier stock :smile:

TP

JoeGJ1984

Would it be possible to trap somebody in the doors of an S stock by pressing the door close button as they are walking through? I think they had problems with this with, e.g. the 1992 stock, which was the reason for them not being used.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Don't they have a sensor to see if people are alighting, which restarts the counter?

That can only work if you're ON the train though, so they'll shut on you if you are boarding when they are set to close. I'm sure on HEX, the doors shut quicker than 45 seconds.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would it be possible to trap somebody in the doors of an S stock by pressing the door close button as they are walking through? I think they had problems with this with, e.g. the 1992 stock, which was the reason for them not being used.

S Stock only have door open buttons, not door close ones :)

tsr

Established Member
Central line has never been driverless, it is automatic however.

The section between Woodford and Hainault was pretty close to being "even more" automatic by way of a trial run a number of years ago, with extra equipment (was it called FACT?) being tested in the Roding Valley Area, if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.