• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Retford on Thursday evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Does anyone know whether there were any problems at Retford station on Thursday evening and if so, what happend?

The reason I ask is that a couple of my Facebook friends reported fire engines there and said that a train was on fire. I know this is a very unreliable source (the friends aren't rail enthusiasts and would probably assume that a train was on fire if they saw a fire engine at the station!).

I wondered whether anyone had heard of anything. Unfortunately, I don't know what time the incident occurred, but my Uncle travelled from Kings Cross to Retford that afternoon, and everything was fine then.

On a side note from that, did a Grand Central train stop at Retford that afternoon? My Grandad (who was picking my Uncle up) was certain it was a black train that he got off. He then said that the train was for Hull. I told him Hull Trains are purple, but he was adamant it was black.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think there were delays in the Retford area that day. Hull Trains have been known to lease 180s from GC livery before, and probably will do again.

NathanPrior

I think there were delays in the Retford area that day. Hull Trains have been known to lease 180s from GC livery before, and probably will do again.

I had a GC train when booked on Hull Trains on the 17th..bloody confused me at first

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I saw a Grand Central 180 (101 from memory) twice last week working into Hull, so I think it must be the case that they've hired one in again.

hougtimo

101 is with HT at the moment.

And yes, there was a fire on a HT trin at retford, by all accounts, although I've not been able to find much out about it. HT 180 was certainly evacuated and taken out of service.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
That must be another HT 180 out of action, in addition to the one that has been sat opposite platform 8 at Doncaster all last week!

hougtimo

That must be another HT 180 out of action, in addition to the one that has been sat opposite platform 8 at Doncaster all last week!
Ridiculous isn't it? HT have been well and truly shafted by being given these units. It's a shame - they ran a fantastic service 5 years ago.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Why is it that whenever you see the number '180' the word 'fire' isn't far behind?

SWT_USER

There's been a HT set at Old Oak Common for the past week I think. Doesn't seem to have moved on the couple of occasions I've been past it.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Thanks guys! I never knew that Hull Trains hired Grand Central stock. Now I know. It certainly had me confused when my Grandad told me. He was right after all!

Why are the class 180's so "Fire prone", and what actually catches fire?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Whatever it is, the manufacturers should be held to account and made to fix these problems once and for all. They're nice trains to travel on, but I'd never want to take a gamble and would actively seek out another train operator than risk going on one that breaks down.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
This is one of the problems with ordering dozens of different classes which are all mechanical different, you can't simply spend all your resources developing one family (ie. Sprinter) to be extremely reliable, you have to spread it testing over multiple designs and problems like this are the normal result.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It might be a similar problem to the issues that lead to the hydrodynamic brake on the Cl185 being isolated.

Welshman

Established Member
They say that what goes around comes around.

I remember some quite bad fires on the 1st gen dmus when they were introduced in the 50s-60s, due to oil pipes near exhausts/hot engines.

Now here we go again!

Wyvern

Established Member
Problem is there aint much room for an engine under a railway coach. Do the 180 and 175 have larger engines than other classes hence more cramped for space? More so perhaps than the European designs on which they are based? Just speculatng. :)

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Also any reason why they haven't hired that Cl87 hauled Mark 3 formation again and run a split service with diesel units shuttling between Doncaster and Hull?

Or has it gone to Bulgaria or something.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Presumably in connection with this failure (or the other one!) Hull Trains have 180102, still in debranded barbie... Was that one with Northern?

Welshman

Established Member
Also any reason why they haven't hired that Cl87 hauled Mark 3 formation again and run a split service with diesel units shuttling between Doncaster and Hull?

Or has it gone to Bulgaria or something.

Weren't the coaches hired from Cargo D - now in administration?

Status
Not open for further replies.