• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Wandsworth Common 07/08/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
An extremely sad day for the railway as an individual has been killed as a result of what is believed to have been window hanging from a Class 442 EMU, allegedly striking a piece of infrastructure. :(

I don't wish to be disrespectful but bringing this to attention as a warning to others to please be careful!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QueensCurve

Established Member
An extremely sad day for the railway as an individual has been killed as a result of what is believed to have been window hanging from a Class 442 EMU, allegedly striking a piece of infrastructure. :(

I don't wish to be disrespectful but bringing this to attention as a warning to others to please be careful!

Does anyone have any statistics for this kind of fatality over the years?

J-2739

Established Member

I'm not doubting the news you've brought, but do you have a link to it?

Jonny

Established Member
I'm not doubting the news you've brought, but do you have a link to it?

National Rail Enquiries is reporting disruption in the Balham area due to "Emergency services are dealing with an incident"... https://archive.is/Pkm45 (snapshot, 19:30 hours 07 Aug '16). No specific details though.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I've only seen reports which won't be shared but there is a tweet of the air ambulance in attendance.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
This is sad news. When was the last window hanging death?

I don't think we need to be going into that sort of detail.

The only things needing said are thoughts with those involved and don't be stupid when presented with droplight stock.

RichardKing

It looks as if the stock has now been moved and is on the way to Victoria (after which, I assume it will be sent straight into Stewarts Lane).

What an absolutely horrendous incident.

gavin

Passenger 'decapitated after collision with oncoming train in Central London'

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...ed-collision-moving-train-death-dead-speeding

A PASSENGER has been decapitated by a moving train after sticking their head out of the window.

The person was pronounced dead at Wandsworth Common train station, in the heart of London.

Eyewitnesses report there were five police units and a helicopter on the scene.

And dramatic photographs of the emergency services on the scene are emerging on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hell...

He must have been hanging out a very long way though, as AlterEgo says. I do window hanging occasionally and have never been near a passing train (I just put part of my head out) or lineside infrastructure.

GB

Established Member
The man wasn't decapitated and he didn't die instantly so both those news articles are flawed.

Darandio

Established Member
Standard stock image of the wrong class of train, one with no drop light windows!

The report states it was a Gatwick Express service, they have searched for a stock image of a Gatwick Express train. I'm not sure that is unreasonable, and doesn't really matter!

Antman

Established Member
The man wasn't decapitated and he didn't die instantly so both those news articles are flawed.

If that is the case then many reports on the incident are wrong.

gavin

@PA

#Breaking Man dies after apparently leaning from train window and being hit by second train near Wandsworth Common.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The report states it was a Gatwick Express service, they have searched for a stock image of a Gatwick Express train. I'm not sure that is unreasonable, and doesn't really matter!

I'd agree in normal circumstances, but to be honest the fundamental piece of the news story is that a person was hanging out of a window. Having a picture of a train which visibly has no opening windows is worse than having no picture at all.

pethadine82

On Moderation
If the individual was decapitated there is nothing more the emergency service could do.
Seems a waste sending in a helicopter when the poor individual is dead.
Hopefully there was decorum

SPADTrap

Established Member
If that is the case then many reports on the incident are wrong.

Indeed wrong.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'd agree in normal circumstances, but to be honest the fundamental piece of the news story is that a person was hanging out of a window. Having a picture of a train which visibly has no opening windows is worse than having no picture at all.

The other has used a rather gruesome photo of the exact train. Any better?

driver_m

Established Member

Have a word with yourself, you're getting worked up over a picture. Someones family are going to be getting the worst possible news. It is a picture. Thats it

Harbornite

Established Member
Have a word with yourself, you're getting worked up over a picture. Someones family are going to be getting the worst possible news. It is a picture. Thats it

Agreed. I'm too bothered by the news to care about the image. The nature of this incident is what makes it rather shocking, seeing as it is such a rare occurance.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The image is of stock used by the now defunct Gatwick Express company between around 2000-2008, much of which is now in use with South West Trains, and none of which is in use with the current operator GTR. Not a big deal, though as you say, and it's common for out of date images to be used.

Why the Daily Star needed to have the word "-speeding" in the URL is a bit of a mystery.
Agreed, but it's no mystery. It's hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.