• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident controller/signaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadh97

Would you need a PTS cert for a signaller or incident controller role? Would you need to do a full medical etc as part of it?

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Some signallers do have PTS. It depends on where they are stationed.
I would say that Incident Controllers would need it. Certainly MOMs do.
If you are applying for one of those jobs then you WILL need to undertake a medical.

MOM67

Neither role requires PTS but both require a full medical as they are Safety Critical roles.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I applied for a role as Customer Information Controller with Northern a couple of months back and there was no mention about needing a PTS certificate. However, like the other forum member has stated, as they are classed as safety critical roles you would have to do the standard medical and pass any screening for drugs and alcohol.

Chadh97

Thanks for the info guys. Do you think they’d accept people with hearing aids for signaller jobs that don’t require pts?

Nippy

No reason why not, we have a few at TVSC. An Incident Controller is based in Control (in my case Swindon) and as such does not require PTS.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Thanks for the info guys. Do you think they’d accept people with hearing aids for signaller jobs that don’t require pts?

If you can pass the hearing test whilst wearing your hearing aid then it shouldn't be a problem, however you may find that there is a local instruction specifically to YOU that you must always wear your aid, must always have batteries for it, and if it fails you must inform you Manager immediately. That was what happened to me when I started to wear one.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

You can have a hearing aid, and sub standard eyesight at big multi man locations - but if your a lone worker at a single manned location you’d have to be PTS standard.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
You can have a hearing aid, and sub standard eyesight at big multi man locations - but if your a lone worker at a single manned location you’d have to be PTS standard.
and

Not correct, see my reply at #11 above.
My hearing deficiency was picked up at one of my medicals after starting and I continued at the Box as before for several years with those provisos added (and sometimes checked by the MOMs on their inspections). It was not the reason I had to retire.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I have a restriction placed on my working location - multi manned only - due to my sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.