• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inconveniently Sited Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Kirkby Stephen is a fair walk from the town, especially uphill to catch a train. And in doing so, passing the old Town station on the way
Indeed, I have walk
not many busses into town either.

Appleby isnt much better

Unfortunately not, Kirkby Stephen has had it's bus service drastically reduced over the last few years, my Auntie has a Caravan on a site that previously was the freight yard adjacent to Kirkby Stephen East station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wychwood93

Georgemas Junction: There to serve Halkirk, but misses it entirely. Should be shifted back towards Inverness.
According to passenger usage for 2016/17 there were some 1,502 of said passengers. Cost? Hmmm... I note the level crossing at Halkirk - perhaps it should have been located there in the first place, barring any land issues at the time it could easily have been Halkirk Junction serving both Thurso and Wick.

Esker-pades

Established Member
According to passenger usage for 2016/17 there were some 1,502 of said passengers. Cost? Hmmm... I note the level crossing at Halkirk - perhaps it should have been located there in the first place, barring any land issues at the time it could easily have been Halkirk Junction serving both Thurso and Wick.
Georgemas Junction is 2.5 miles out of the village, which is fairly useless.
Halkirk can sustain an hourly bus service between Wick and Thurso.
It is one of the biggest population centres in the region, and yet despite the railway passing very close, it doesn't have a proper station.

The problem, as is often the case with the Far North Line, is the quality of the service. Upgrade that and there will be more people.

fowler9

Established Member
Corrour is perfectly sited for the main attractions, specifically Loch Ossian, the wilds of the highlands, and the restaurant / pub and its wonderful staff.
Sorry mate, it was just a bad joke. It is lovely up there.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Frome, Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Westbury (Wilts), Harlow, Epping, Exeter St David’s are all a fair way from their respective commercial centres

Essexman

Established Member
Leigh on sea for whatever reason is to the west of the town centre. Perhaps it's to fit a large station car park.

The original Leigh on Sea station was further east. It is now a yacht club. It was moved in 1934, I think because more space was needed to enlarge the station. It was still below the main town, but was right close to the quay and old town. AS the main town is up a steep hill it would have been hard to serve it by train unless the line took a completely different route into Southend.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Newport - the entrance/exit used to be on the doorstep of the town centre but they decided to move it to the other end of the platform.

Dhassell

Pilning. At least a 30 minute walk from the village itself, 15 minutes to Easter Compton. Could be moved 750m or so towards the Severn Tunnel and then connect up with the road bridge which is basically in Pilning village itself.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Frome, Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Westbury (Wilts), Harlow, Epping, Exeter St David’s are all a fair way from their respective commercial centres
Yes but you haven't said where you would move them! See the OP's strictures.

Harshil

Don't slaughter me for using an LU example but Euston square. The far end of the platforms are very close to the mainline Euston terminus and an opening on that end would avoid people having to double back if they wish to get to Euston from Euston Square.
A bit biased as I am a UCL student who has lectures on that end near Euston Station and have to double back on myself which is annoying.

JamesT

Established Member
Don't slaughter me for using an LU example but Euston square. The far end of the platforms are very close to the mainline Euston terminus and an opening on that end would avoid people having to double back if they wish to get to Euston from Euston Square.
A bit biased as I am a UCL student who has lectures on that end near Euston Station and have to double back on myself which is annoying.

I believe that as part of the HS2 works the Euston underground station is to be rebuilt and connected to Euston Square, which may help.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Re: Pontefract stations, both Tanshelf and Baghill are pretty convenient for the town centre... but Baghill has a lousy service on a poor route, and Tanshelf is only one one line route rather than Monkhill which is on two (notwithstanding the recent changes with services to Tanshelf looping round to Westgate and Leeds) but distant from the town.

Deighton is likely to be completely rebuilt as part of the Trans-Pennine Route upgrade: if part of this saw the platforms moved to the other side of the Whitacre Street overbridge where the access ramps currently are, second (or replacement) access could be provided direct from the A62. Move them further still down the line to beyond Bradley Junction, and Brighouse services could either avoid the station entirely or begin serving it at a third platform located on the curve... though it'd be more a station for Bradley than Deighton at that point.

Last edited:

ninjazx6r

Dent is a wee bit removed from the village and quite a hill to negotiate.

But no alternative to have brought it nearer.

TheGrew

Warrington Bank Quay to be moved north to where the CLC overbridge is with platforms provided on both lines for easier interchange. I think if industrial units east of Guardian street were demolished you could also have a half reasonable car park and drop off area.
In the above scenario I would also be tempted to move Warrington Central further east I appreciate this would be less convenient for the town centre but I think there would be sufficient space for two island platforms and therefore a passing point on a congested CLC line. I don't think it will need to move too far but just closer to the roundabout.

Fareham I think would be better placed close to the new Tesco Extra now that the Gosport line doesn't exist.

DH1Commuter

Cramlington. I believe there is a plan to move the station up the line towards the town centre.

NickBucks

Tring. Nowhere near the town of the same name surrounded by a few houses, fields and the canal. The road is busy but unlit in the dark.There is little or no street parking forcing travellers to use LNWR's expensive car park ( Multi-storey the biggest building for miles!). No facilities. The small ticket office cum waiting area is closed after the morning peak. Ideal however for Pendolino spotters who get a great view from the top deck of the car park

fowler9

Established Member
Sorry, I forgot the smiley face! I knew it was tongue in cheek.
Ha ha. Oddly enough I watched Trainspotting 2 last night part of which is of course filmed there as was Trainspotting. Reminded me of one of my favourite school railway society trips. Sleeper up from Preston to Corrour, bit of a look around then another 37 hauled train back to Glasgow for visits to Motherwell and Eastfield depots.

urbophile

Established Member
Moorfields station in Liverpool is inconveniently distant from street level. Being underground that is unavoidable, but compounded by the fact that the main entrance is on first floor level so one needs to ascend before descending or vice versa. Historically understandable (city planners had envisaged pedestrian walkways raised above the traffic, though the scheme was abandoned before the station was completed), it is now an inconvenience that needs correcting.

dcbwhaley

One solution to stations being far from the towns they serve would be to provide a bus service, free to rail ticket holders, timed to coincide with the train arrivals and departures.

Status
Not open for further replies.