• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incorrect Railcard Assumed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris999999

I was buying 2 adult returns from Basingstoke to Waterloo. One person held a senior railcard and the other a network railcard which was correctly input. I was using Virgin Trains to buy the tickets, but what was sold were 2 tickets using a network railcard. Whilst this was not a problem in this case, it could have been if the 2 people returned separately, which as there are no reservations is allowed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Did you buy your tickets from the Virgin Trains website or from a Virgin Trains ticket office?

lyesbkz

This is odd. The Any Permitted fare does use the correct railcards (one of each), but the 'Via Woking' fare defaults to two Network railcards.

Via Woking.JPG Any Permitted.JPG

Chris999999

I can finally provide an update on this. I complained to Virgin which wasn't initially easy as the form insisted I include to and from stations which had to be on the West Coast, which obviously Basingstoke and Waterloo are not. Anyway I put in 2 stations and then explained in the text why they were irrelevant. After a long delay I received an email into which someone had cut and pasted all the small print from their terms and conditions, and blamed me for the error. I was particularly impressed by the suggestion that once I had been sold incorrect tickets, I could ring them up, pay £10 a ticket and have the error corrected! They did not make any attempt whatsoever to investigate their error.

Anyway I wrote them a stinking email back telling them just what I thought of their response, their ridiculous suggestion and the fact that they had ignored the fault altogether.

I have been away but have received a letter from Virgin which appologises for their previous response, the inconvenience and accepts that they do have an error in their systems which they says has been passed to the relevant team for further investigation. They have also included a £15 Rail Travel Voucher (more than the cost of one ticket), so I guess I am satisfied. Hopefully they will fix the fault.

So my thanks go to everyone who assisted here and by a PM

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I can finally provide an update on this. I complained to Virgin which wasn't initially easy as the form insisted I include to and from stations which had to be on the West Coast, which obviously Basingstoke and Waterloo are not. Anyway I put in 2 stations and then explained in the text why they were irrelevant. After a long delay I received an email into which someone had cut and pasted all the small print from their terms and conditions, and blamed me for the error. I was particularly impressed by the suggestion that once I had been sold incorrect tickets, I could ring them up, pay £10 a ticket and have the error corrected! They did not make any attempt whatsoever to investigate their error.

Anyway I wrote them a stinking email back telling them just what I thought of their response, their ridiculous suggestion and the fact that they had ignored the fault altogether.

I have been away but have received a letter from Virgin which appologises for their previous response, the inconvenience and accepts that they do have an error in their systems which they says has been passed to the relevant team for further investigation. They have also included a £15 Rail Travel Voucher (more than the cost of one ticket), so I guess I am satisfied. Hopefully they will fix the fault.

So my thanks go to everyone who assisted here and by a PM

Ah, the typical Virgin fob-off response. At least you got something at all - better than some TOCs!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Ah, the typical Virgin fob-off response. At least you got something at all - better than some TOCs!

Indeed. The fob off here was to the detriment of both the OP, who was patronised, and to Virgin, who had an error on their site that nobody was alerted to.

LAZY. A pox upon them.

Status
Not open for further replies.