• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Increased XC HST usage this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
It would seem this week that XC are using their HSTs on more diagrams for some reason. Everyday so far this week, 'CrossCountry HST Gen' facebook page has shown the 06:32 Dundee - Plymouth and return and the 06:32 York Plymouth being HSTs, in addition to the usual two diagrams from Leeds + Edinburgh. I don't know how long it is going to last, but if anyone was out and about and wanting to avoid voyagers it may be something to bear in mind by checking that page.

This means that Northbound return workings from Plymouth depart at: 12:23, 13:23, 15:23 and 17:23 - two ending up in Leeds, two in Scotland.

I hope this is useful to somebody, somewhere! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haven't there been four XC HSTs in use every weekday for months (possibly more than a year) now?

CC 72100

Established Member
Haven't there been four XC HSTs in use every weekday for months (possibly more than a year) now?

No, mainly just the two diagrams, with possibly an extra one on a Monday or a Friday. The ones which you can bet your house on being a HST is the 06:00 Leeds -Plymouth (12:23 Plymouth - Glasgow cent.) and the 06:06 Edinburgh - Plymouth (15:23 Plymouth - Leeds).

The two 'extra' diagrams for this week are the ones which are most likely to turn into a HST though, as has been the past 3 days.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you say so but I'm pretty convinced that it's been four a day for quite a while now.

CC 72100

Established Member
If you say so but I'm pretty convinced that it's been four a day for quite a while now.

I'm afraid we're going to have to disagree on this one. I've taken the week commencing Monday 18th June as an example.

Monday: 3 Diagrams
Tuesday: 2 Diagrams
Wednesday: 2 Diagrams
Thursday: 2 Diagrams
Friday: 3 Diagrams

And exactly the same for the week before (Monday 11th June) and the past couple of months to the best of my knowledge. Frequently requested diagrams thread also says the same.

(When out and about I make a particular habit of going for the XC HSTs as I prefer their interior to the FGW ones so I'd be the first to notice if it was 4 diagrams everyday!)

[This post isn't meant to come across big-headed or blunt at all, just as factual and to the point as possible, apologies if it does :|]

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Alright alright you win already! I'll admit I don't take a keen interest in XC HST workings as they're hardly ever at a time that would suit me so I'll take your word for it!

[This post isn't meant to come across big-headed or blunt at all, just as factual and to the point as possible, apologies if it does ]

No worries on that count ;)

louis97

Established Member
All 4 diagrams will now operate Monday to Friday. This was planned and started on Monday (25th June) and will run until Friday 14th September, as was posted in the XC HST thread a month or so ago.

CC 72100

Established Member
All 4 diagrams will now operate Monday to Friday. This was planned and started on Monday (25th June) and will run until Friday 14th September, as was posted in the XC HST thread a month or so ago.

Ah thanks for that. Not gonna lie, don't remember seeing a thread on it before, must have missed that one :oops:

Martin_1981

I would suspect the reason behind all four diagrams operating until 14th September is to release two Voyagers for the Weymouth extensions during the olympics.

The more HST's on XC the better- I love these trains.

Martin

CC 72100

Established Member
Only two sets out today - the departures from York + Leeds due to the ECML problems.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have used the 0632 from Dundee a number of times in the last couple of months and every time it turned out to be a Vomiter so I think there is an element of truth in the claim that not all four diagrams have been operated by HSTs, although they were probably supposed to.

CC 72100

Established Member
I have used the 0632 from Dundee a number of times in the last couple of months and every time it turned out to be a Vomiter so I think there is an element of truth in the claim that not all four diagrams have been operated by HSTs, although they were probably supposed to.

Only on a Monday or Friday (can't remember which way round it is), but as helpful as the FGW timetables are, they show a 'H' for HST service for it, despite the fact it only is (well was) for one day a week.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Only on a Monday or Friday (can't remember which way round it is), but as helpful as the FGW timetables are, they show a 'H' for HST service for it, despite the fact it only is (well was) for one day a week.

Yes. My travels were mostly Fridays.

Status
Not open for further replies.