• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Increasing of Line Speed on Newquay branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA4C

Is there still a token machine at Newquay?
(There's one at Carne Point on the Fowey branch)

No, crews change ends and ring signaller before departure to ensure no issues with user worked crossings on the line

There is no token machine at Carne Point, line is worked by train staff, not token

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

No, crews change ends and ring signaller before departure to ensure no issues with user worked crossings on the line

There is no token machine at Carne Point, line is worked by train staff, not token

Many thanks KA4C.
(I remember the token machine in a small cream cabin at Carne Point in the 70's - 80's. You would see more than 1 train there back then. Used to like watching the old wooden tipper wagons on the tipping frame. A weighted arm would bang the bottom to help it empty. They would then move sideways to another track so the next wagon could tip.)
Faster line speed to Newquay could also help to increase capacity as well.

83G/84D

Established Member
Electric token working between St Blazey and Goonbarrow Jn and one train working with staff Goonbarrow Jn & Newquay using the old Goonbarrow Jn to St Dennis Jn token machine. The staff has to be put through the machine to release the signal before a train can be sent to Newquay.

With regards the line speed increases this is enabling late running trains to make up time and on time trains to arrive at Newquay early. An example today:-

1M70 1525 Newquay to Manchester right time departing Newquay, 11 early at Par! Of course no intermediate stops helps.

The 2 china clay contracts are due for renewal later this year with DBS,Freightliner and DCR apparently in the running.

83G/84D

Established Member
Only what I have heard but a road haulier, DBS & Freightliner interested in local clay contract with DBS, Freightliner & DCR interested in the long distance runs.

KA4C

Only what I have heard but a road haulier, DBS & Freightliner interested in local clay contract with DBS, Freightliner & DCR interested in the long distance runs.

Hmm, close on the rumour front, but, of course, at the moment, the only ones who know anything for sure are the customer and they aint telling at the moment

DaveHarries

Established Member
Here's a thing. If the line between St. Dennis and Par was closed to passenger traffic, with Newquay trains going via. St. Dennis, then the results for Roche, Bugle and Luxulyan would be mixed.

Roche and Bugle have hourly bus services to / from St. Austell although the buses now terminate on the road outside the bus station rather than in the bus station itself. On the other hand, Luxulyan - first stop for trains departing from par - used to have a bus service but that was withdrawn when the council last retendered its bus service contracts. Therefore, withdrawl of the St. Dennis Junction - Par trains would leave Luxulyan, small as it is, with no public transport at all.

On the other hand, how much usage would stations at St. Dennis, Foxhole and Nanpean get when all three locations have two buses per hour, spaced roughly 30 minutes apart, to / from St. Austell with one bus per hour running to / from Newquay? Tricky situation IMO.

As for trains to / from Par, the best thing to do if the line through St. Dennis was reinstated would perhaps be to use Par as the terminus and run trains Par - St. Austell - Newquay. Perhaps I am wrong with that idea but as I am not local to the line I guess I can't really talk! :)

Dave

KA4C

Here's a thing. If the line between St. Dennis and Par was closed to passenger traffic, with Newquay trains going via. St. Dennis, then the results for Roche, Bugle and Luxulyan would be mixed.

Roche and Bugle have hourly bus services to / from St. Austell although the buses now terminate on the road outside the bus station rather than in the bus station itself. On the other hand, Luxulyan - first stop for trains departing from par - used to have a bus service but that was withdrawn when the council last retendered its bus service contracts. Therefore, withdrawl of the St. Dennis Junction - Par trains would leave Luxulyan, small as it is, with no public transport at all.

On the other hand, how much usage would stations at St. Dennis, Foxhole and Nanpean get when all three locations have two buses per hour, spaced roughly 30 minutes apart, to / from St. Austell with one bus per hour running to / from Newquay? Tricky situation IMO.

As for trains to / from Par, the best thing to do if the line through St. Dennis was reinstated would perhaps be to use Par as the terminus and run trains Par - St. Austell - Newquay. Perhaps I am wrong with that idea but as I am not local to the line I guess I can't really talk! :)

Dave

Don't forget that Roche station is a mile from the village, in Victoria. The buses, on the other hand, have two bus stops in the village itself. In the current situation, the present branch would only be closed Goonbarrow to St Dennis, not a great saving, the route is needed Par to St Blazey for access to BZ yard and depot, and St Blazey to Goonbarrow for clay traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.