• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Independent Operators in the Lothians

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cammyeaston

I wonder if this has been done to take pressure off the 108 which might be getting busy? I have no idea whether it is or not but just a thought. Certainly running express via the A1 is a very good move

Absolutely, it just bugs me that it is '110A', we citizens of Tranent, Wallyford and Prestonpans deserve our own independent route number ;)

I vote for 115 seeing as there hasn't been one for most of my life - has there ever been a 115 in East Lothian?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Quite frankly I I think if it were me I would have numbered it to the 110 x to denote the the no doubt rather enjoyable fast run from wallyford up to the fort on the dual carriageway. There might have been a 115 school service back in the first group days

cammyeaston

Quite frankly I I think if it were me I would have numbered it to the 110 x to denote the the no doubt rather enjoyable fast run from wallyford up to the fort on the dual carriageway. There might have been a 115 school service back in the first group days

Being a Wallyford resident who visits the Fort frequently myself, I look forward to trying it out. I'm also interested to find out which vehicles will provide the service - I'm guessing a Mellor Strata...

As for school services, I wouldn't have a clue. All I know is '110A' is a bit of a mouthful!

Mal

All I know is '110A' is a bit of a mouthful!
Agreed! There seems to be fad now for 3 digit numbers to have suffixes eg 123A, 456B and some limited stop / express like 158X. I'm certain that there are enough unused route numbers that could be used?

scotrail158713

Established Member
Agreed! There seems to be fad now for 3 digit numbers to have suffixes eg 123A, 456B and some limited stop / express like 158X. I'm certain that there are enough unused route numbers that could be used?
To be honest 110 on its own probably could have been fine. The route is just a (fairly lengthy) extension to the current 110 between Tranent and Elphinstone.

Porty

It's interesting to see how much knowledge there is out there, and how much usage there is, of the X40 Horsburgh operated bus that uses the bypass to get from Edinburgh Royal Infirmary to St. John's Hospital in Livingston. I came across this service by accident and never knew it existed.

The routing does open up some interesting options for me for east-west links, missing out the city centre. It's all stops to Gilmerton then via the bypass to Hermiston Park &Ride, Wilkieston then central Livingston shops to the hospital. It's generally hourly 7 days per week. Does anyone use this regularly? How is timekeeping in view of the frequent congestion on the bypass?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I used it more when I lived on the east side of the city, I would use the 21 to the hospital to connect with it and and take it either just to the other side of town or further on should I be going towards the Livingston direction for whatever reason. Last time I used it was a couple of weeks ago and the inbound working didn't arrive until the outbound one should have been away 10 minutes previously but what one's on the bypass the driver really put his foot down down and gave the rather elderly bus a serious run for it's money.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Does anyone know if any bus stops at the Boll-o-Bere stop now (image below), or just any general history on it? It’s just past Balerno and before West Lothian.

Attachments

• 6D8DFED8-2B2E-452F-8C9B-A3A93E410B3F.jpeg
    6D8DFED8-2B2E-452F-8C9B-A3A93E410B3F.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 65

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Does anyone know if any bus stops at the Boll-o-Bere stop now (image below), or just any general history on it? It’s just past Balerno and before West Lothian.
The only service listed on the sign is the Horsburgh 24. It's not my area, so I'm not sure if it still runs.

oldman

The 24 Juniper Green-St John's Hospital went in 2016 when West Lothian cut the funding.

Baileygirl

Asked in the other thread but got no reply so thought I’d bring it on here just as a quick question. :D (dont worry it’s semi-relevant)

Does anyone know if any bus stops at the Boll-o-Bere stop now (image below), or just any general history on it? Did Lothian serve this stop before? It’s just past Balerno and before West Lothian.
West Lothian council contract service 24 between Balerno and Livingston, operated by Horsburgh, ran for a few years until it was cancelled a couple of years ago. Central SMT also ran a service from Lanark to Edinburgh up to the 70s.

West Lothian council contract service 24 between Balerno and Livingston, operated by Horsburgh, ran for a few years until it was cancelled a couple of years ago. Central SMT also ran a service from Lanark to Edinburgh up to the 70s.
That 24 was a brilliant service, pity it was only a every 2 hour service.

LiviCrazy

I seem to remember for a short time that Blue Bus was running a Lanark to Edinburgh service along the A70 (peak time only), can’t remember how long ago it was as I never travelled on it.

If I remember rightly the 24 was latterly run by Prentice Westwood before it was cancelled.

overthewater

Established Member
I seem to remember for a short time that Blue Bus was running a Lanark to Edinburgh service along the A70 (peak time only), can’t remember how long ago it was as I never travelled on it.

If I remember rightly the 24 was latterly run by Prentice Westwood before it was cancelled.

Before that Had Coaches had I think X70 Which ran from shotts - Livingston - A70 to Edinburgh did they not?

The 24 was run by E&M Horsburgh prior to its withdrawal and was operated by BlueBus before Horsburgh took it over.

mb88

Wilson’s of Carnwath also ran an Edinburgh to Lanark service via Balerno, Juniper Green and the ‘Lang Wang’ (A70) using a Leyland National. There’s a few pictures of it on flickr.

LiviCrazy

This thread got me thinking back to HAD Travel’s short lived X71. From looking back over the bus registrations this seemed to travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh following the A71 for a large part of the journey.

It was registered on 15 December 2003 and seemed to cease operations in May 2004 just before HAD ceased operating.

I’m curious as to whether anybody ever travelled on it and what route it took, I think it would be in one of the West Lothian Council timetable books they used to produce (which were brilliantly useful).

Tartanarmy85

This thread got me thinking back to HAD Travel’s short lived X71. From looking back over the bus registrations this seemed to travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh following the A71 for a large part of the journey.

It was registered on 15 December 2003 and seemed to cease operations in May 2004 just before HAD ceased operating.

I’m curious as to whether anybody ever travelled on it and what route it took, I think it would be in one of the West Lothian Council timetable books they used to produce (which were brilliantly useful).
This bus used A71 via Livingston onto Shotts then most runs turned around at Airdrie bottom Cross with the peaks continue via Coatbridge to Glasgow hope this helps

LiviCrazy

This bus used A71 via Livingston onto Shotts then most runs turned around at Airdrie bottom Cross with the peaks continue via Coatbridge to Glasgow hope this helps
Thanks.
Had tried to catch it a couple of times to Sighthill from Livingston but had problems with bus not turning up or very late.

I was too young to be trying out its full route though.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if your able to go for a visit at the E&M Horsburgh Depot, With covid going around? And if so how do you get in contact with them to find out?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Does anyone know if your able to go for a visit at the E&M Horsburgh Depot, With covid going around? And if so how do you get in contact with them to find out?

There is a contact form and a telephone number on their website. I've no idea if they would permit a visit, though.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I have found pictures of it on bus stops on Kingsknowe (Edinburgh) but it's listed as only going to juniper green?

did the bus not do a one way loop from Gillespies Crossroads through Pentland Avenue, turning at Spylaw Bank Road before picking up at Spylaw Park bus stop?

cammyeaston

Prentice of Haddington have acquired a further new ADL Enviro 200 MMC, fleet number 341 - YX22 OGF, entering service this morning. Official text from Prentice's Facebook page is below.

"The Latest addition to our fleet entered service at 0600 this morning.

Fleet No 341 - YX22 OGF is an ADL Enviro 200 MMC to exactly the same specification as the three new Enviro's which joined our fleet in 2021.
The only difference is that it is slightly shorter to provide a more suitable bus for some quieter journeys on our 111 service, where it will be predominately used.
It is fitted with the latest Euro 6 engine and this coupled with 'smart charging' and 'stop - start' technology means it meets 'Low Emission Bus' status.
It was built to our specification by Falkirk based Alexander Dennis and features a dedicated wheelchair bay along with USB charging points at every seatbelted seat and free WiFi."

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Prentice are to be doing a service change in the start of April

Service Changes from Monday 4th April 2022

Click the links below for the new timetables

Tranent to Haddington - linking with DRT1
New Timetable from Monday 4th April 2022
Service 109 will continue to operate a timetabled service between Haddington and Tranent but the rural section will operate as ‘Demand Responsive Travel’ as service DRT1
New 109 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 New 109 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 - Click to download

Flexible Rural Travel
New Timetable from Monday 4th April 2022
The previous section of Service 109 from Tranent to Humbie will now operate as - DRT1 a Flexible Rural Bus Service
This is a new type of bus service for the rural cummunities of Elphinstone, New Winton, Ormiston, Pencaitland, Glenkinchie East Saltoun, West Saltoun and Humbie where passengers book trips in advance.
This allows a much wider area to have access to a bus service rather than a poorly used fixed service. Service DRT1 provides a direct connection with Service 109 for travel into Tranent, Blindwells, Longniddry, Haddington and the East Lothian Community Hospital
New DRT1 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 New DRT1 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 - Click to download

Elphinstone to Prestonpans Rail Station
New Timetable and Minor Change of route from Monday 4th April 2022
Service 110 will be retimed to Serve Prestonpans Rail Station, where it will now terminate, and along with Service 112 will provide a link from Tranent and Blindwells to the Rail Station to provide a connection with the Scotrail service, funded by the housing developer.
110 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 New 110 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 - Click to download

Elphinstone to Fort Kinnaird
New Timetable and Change of route and number from Monday 4th April 2022
Service 110A will be renumbered as Service 112 and retimed to Serve Prestonpans Rail Station on its way to Fort Kinnaird, and along with Service 110 will provide a link from Tranent and Blindwells to the Rail Station to provide a connection with the Scotrail service, funded by the housing developer.
112 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 New 112 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 - Click to download

Haddington to Royal Infirmary
Minor Change of Timetable from Monday 4th April 2022
There will be minor changes to the timetable. The 1455 Journey from the Royal Infirmary will run to Haddington, as it did pre COVID with the 1705 from Haddington and 1835 from the Royal Infirmary also returning to pre COVID times.
There will be an additional School Day Only journey from Old Craighall to Musselburgh Grammar at 0750 for school children from the village, Burgh Gate and Stoneybank, who are outwith the catchment area with a return journey available from the school at 1530. All children must pay to travel or use the new Young Persons pass for free travel.
111 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 New 111 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 - Click to download

Port Seton to Fort Kinnaird
New Timetable and partial change of route from Monday 4th April 2022
Service 118 will return to it's pre COVID terminus at Fort Kinnaird. The route was extended to Royal Infirmary in August 2020 to aid social distancing on service 111 but this is no longer sustainable due to poor passenger use.
Following a request from East Lothian Council to provide a direct service to Edinburgh College the route will change from the Olivebank Roundabout in Musselburgh to serve LIDL, Milton Road, ASDA, using the bus stop at the store entrance, and then onto Fort Kinnaird.
118 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 New 118 Timetable - Valid from 4th April 2022 - Click to download

Looks like the 109 is getting split into two different services, the 110A will become the 112, and the 118 will no longer serve the Wisp/Royal Infirmary and instead run via Milton Road, Asda and terminate at Fort Kinnaird.