• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Influence of GV-NS84S-5121 on BVE 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.G.E.Bakker

Good morning all
I used to run BVE2,4 and open BVE and in fact also in MSTS without the above mentioned Videocard, which I recently installed on my Dell 4700.
I wanted to run Railsimulator. However, the inpact of the NVIDIA GEFORCE video card was strange, railsimulator could run, but did not respond properly and there is more, it has an inpact on BVE4, that is it has slowed the down considerably , e.g. the clock ticking away the seconds , the movement of controls, and after a while the screen turns black and yellow.
My thoughts: should are should I remove this video card ?
Any feedback welcome
I have taken off RS, but am keen to return to MSTS + BVE

Cheers,
Ed Bakker

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
Can't say I've ever come across that card before.

However, you say it's a nvidia one. Can you give us the nvidia model number and driver version from device manager please?

It may just be that you need to update drivers...

E.G.E.Bakker

Can't say I've ever come across that card before.

However, you say it's a nvidia one. Can you give us the nvidia model number and driver version from device manager please?

It may just be that you need to update drivers...

Hi Michael
It is a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS Graphics accelerator and the model number
is GV-N84S-5121

cheers,
Ed Bakker

mbonwick

Established Member
8400GS...I think you should be OK with it.

To find what driver version you have;
1. go start -> run
2. Type "devmgmt.msc" [without quotes] and click OK
3. Select "Display Adapters"
4. Right Click on the 8400GS and Choose "properties"
5. Click the "Driver" tab and copy the version number here.

E.G.E.Bakker

8400GS...I think you should be OK with it.

To find what driver version you have;
1. go start -> run
2. Type "devmgmt.msc" [without quotes] and click OK
3. Select "Display Adapters"
4. Right Click on the 8400GS and Choose "properties"
5. Click the "Driver" tab and copy the version number here.

Morning Mike
the answer is : 6.14.11.90.38

regards,
Ed Bakker

E.G.E.Bakker

Mike
Thanks for your efforts. Both drives I already have in place.
I have noticed however that I can run BVE 4 Birmingham xcity without any problems and also the New Castle to Carlisle route.
Main culpril the West Midlands routes. The clock ticks over too slow.
the controls move better now. But all of sudden the train disappears and
see track ahead and then the picture becomes black with yellow tracks.
Cheers,
Ed Bakker

Attachments

• 2010-04-10_233034.jpg
    2010-04-10_233034.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 8

mbonwick

Established Member
Alas, I think you may have found that your card just can't cope with the inefficient way BVE4 works with big routes like NWM.

As a last-ditch kinda thing, may I suggest you try openBVE?

E.G.E.Bakker

QUOTE=mbonwick;426759]Alas, I think you may have found that your card just can't cope with the inefficient way BVE4 works with big routes like NWM.

As a last-ditch kinda thing, may I suggest you try openBVE?[/QUOTE]

Hi there Mike
Thanks. Ironically the card works with BVE4 routes such as Newcastle-Carlisle, the Birmingham route and some others, when it comes to North West Midland then the trouble seems to start. Works ok with Open BVE.
Thanks for your efforts to help me to solve this issue.

regards,
Ed Bakker

mbonwick

Established Member
I think the reason you only have issues with NWM is because of the sheer length and detail of the route.

If it's fine with oBVE, then there's nothing to worry about.

E.G.E.Bakker

I think the reason you only have issues with NWM is because of the sheer length and detail of the route.

If it's fine with oBVE, then there's nothing to worry about.

Hello Mike
Once again thanks for your comments. I must have baffled a number of people on different forums with this issue, because the only feedback I got so far is from Rail UK Forums and yourself. When I said yesterday that I could drive from New Castle to Carlisle on BVE4 with the respective Videocard that was true, but last night further down the route, guess what, the screen freezes, than a black picture with yellow lines and my whole computer system was up the shoot for a while. I tell you this one has me really puzzled. There must be forum members, who are running BVE4 with a particular Video card , BVE 4 obviously cannot be allergic to all of them.
The video card wors fine with BVE2 and Open BVE, the video card hated Railsimulator, perhaps I ought to get rid of the video card in question.

Cheers,
Ed Bakker

Hi Ed,

BVE4 tends to put a lot of strain on graphics cards, especially longer routes as more graphics/files have to be loaded.

Now, your problems could be your graphics card getting too hot and overheating, so it might be worth opening your PC case and checking the exhaust (outlet) fan is working, and the intake fan is passing cold (fresh) air over your graphics card, as well as the rest of the components. It is also a good idea to get rid of all the dust that accumulates inside the case and the fans, the best way to do this is with a can of compressed air, should be available from your local computer or hardware store (apologies if these are the wrong terminology, I've never been to New Zealand!).

As always, if in doubt, speak to an IT professional before doing any of the above in my post, or indeed from this thread.

Regards from England!
Ryan

E.G.E.Bakker

Hi Ed,

BVE4 tends to put a lot of strain on graphics cards, especially longer routes as more graphics/files have to be loaded.

Now, your problems could be your graphics card getting too hot and overheating, so it might be worth opening your PC case and checking the exhaust (outlet) fan is working, and the intake fan is passing cold (fresh) air over your graphics card, as well as the rest of the components. It is also a good idea to get rid of all the dust that accumulates inside the case and the fans, the best way to do this is with a can of compressed air, should be available from your local computer or hardware store (apologies if these are the wrong terminology, I've never been to New Zealand!).

As always, if in doubt, speak to an IT professional before doing any of the above in my post, or indeed from this thread.

Regards from England!
Ryan

Hello Ryan
I have copied your comments to the guy, who installed GV NS84S-5121 on my computer and will see what he has to say , I have got to be careful that the whole exercise is going to cost me too much money for what it is worth.
Before the GV was installed I ran BVE2,4 and open BVE and MSTS without any problems, after GV was installed the quality of sound on my pc improved and the quality of BVE2 as well. As I said before I had Railsmimulator on the pc to try to run that game, but the Videocard did not like that much, I just could not exercise any control over the program.
Another forum member suggested that I use PNY Technologies nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT Graphics Card (1024 MB, PCI-Express, Dual DVI-I/HDTV)
so that I can run Railworks, if I decide to get that. Again one must look at the cost of all this.
Appreciated all your advices. I have lived in Ashford Kent for a number of years, well Great Chart actually and loved it. Best wishes from Oxford NZ

Ed Bakker

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Basically, it's a BVE4 fault to do with the way it's coded and loads stuff.

Personally, I'd recommend making the switch to openBVE, uninstalling BVE4 and updating to the very latest set of drivers to see if they help with Railsimulator.

Latest drivers are:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_197.13_whql_uk.html

Hi Mike
Thanks for your comments. I managed to sell Railsimulator on an auction site on line here in New Zealand as I gave up on it.
Cheers,
Ed Bakker

Status
Not open for further replies.