• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Info on Wetherby - Harrogate - Ripon line

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm very interested in the railway line that used to run from Leeds - Harrogate via Wetherby (Specifically the Collingham - Harrogate stretch) and also Harrogate - Ripon - Melmerby.

Can anyone tell me how I can get more info, preferably including photos and track plans of stations, for these lines? Anything on locos and stock would be fascniating too.

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do we not have a member involved in the campaign to reopen these lines ( Deltic08 perhaps?)

Why not drop him a line? He will have all kinds of info i should think

Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
I didn't know that about Deltic08 - thank you! And thanks to theblackwatch too, I'll have a look.

John Webb

Established Member
There are three books by Martin Bairstow "Railways around Harrogate" and also Volumes 2 and 3. The Wetherby lines are covered in some detail, with histories, photos of the station and trains and some pictures of places after closure, in all three books.

alexl92

Established Member
My mum remembers travelling back from Leeds to Harrogate via Wetherby before it closed. It was used by Liverpool-Newcastle services until just before closure I believe. There is a page on Wetherby at http://itsagrandblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/wetherby-railway-station-and-railway.html

If you are on Facebook, the Disused Railways of Yorkshire group may be of interest too.

Thanks - I'm actually in that group and it's what sparked my question! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are three books by Martin Bairstow "Railways around Harrogate" and also Volumes 2 and 3. The Wetherby lines are covered in some detail, with histories, photos of the station and trains and some pictures of places after closure, in all three books.

Thank you!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Another book worth getting hold of is "The Railways of Harrogate and District", written by local railway historian James Rogers and published by the North Eastern Railway Association in 2000.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I see that you make mention of Melmerby in your original query. This was originally called Wath. The Thirsk platforms were constructed by 1st June 1848 and the Northallerton platforms were constructed by 2nd June 1852.

The station was rebuilt for the full opening of the Thirsk line in February 1852when it was renamed Melmerby. The station became a three-way junction in 1875 with the opening of the Masham branch.

Ploughman

Established Member
Here are the NER Line diagrams for either end of the Melmerby and Thirsk branch.
Only added start and finish pages as not much of significant interest in between.
These are roughly dated originally to approx 1913 with some later amendments dated in the 1920's.

Attachments

• Melmerby + Thirsk 1.jpg
    Melmerby + Thirsk 1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Melmerby + Thirsk 7.jpg
    Melmerby + Thirsk 7.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
There's an article on the railways of Ripon in the January issue of Back Track magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.