• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Info Req - SWT Fratton Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpsWeb

Hi,

Does anyone know the earliest start / latest finishes for Fratton Drivers?

I would be looking at commuting from the IOW so am a bit concerned about the first and last ferries (there is a 3 hour gap between 0000-0300)!

Do many people commute does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Not sure of the exact times but I think the first start is about 03:30 and the last finish is about 02:30. The latest finish is not a million miles away from the first ferry to the Island time-wise, it's the earliest starts and the not-quite-latest-but-still-late (that is to say the midnight - 1am finishes) that might make commuting a tad tricky

Matt Taylor

Established Member
First start is 0327 at the moment, latest finish is around 0210 but on Sunday nights it's nearer 0400. There are a small number of guards and drivers who commute from the island and they manage to make it work somehow.

westcoaster

Established Member
First start is 0327 at the moment, latest finish is around 0210 but on Sunday nights it's nearer 0400. There are a small number of guards and drivers who commute from the island and they manage to make it work somehow.

When I enquired with SWT about a speculative application and living on the IOW, I recieved a less than helpful reply, basically they would not be happy with it and they would not be interested.

OpsWeb

Thanks for all the info people!

I think I might need to revisit my plans! The Fast Cat ferry to Ryde only operates between 0645-2245, otherwise its the car ferry to Fishbourne, and even then - there is no ferry back from Portsmouth between 0000-0300!

Don't fancy hanging around for 3 hours if I finish at 0005!

Thanks again for all your help!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Have you tried asking Island Line if they have any vacancies going? I don't know if their recruitment is done along with the main SWT or if it's separate

OpsWeb

Have you tried asking Island Line if they have any vacancies going? I don't know if their recruitment is done along with the main SWT or if it's separate

From what I hear - the Island Line operation is facing an uncertain future (the local paper claims it might be turned into a tramway), and from reading ASLEF's TOC pages it looks like quite a pay drop.

I've also hardly ever seen any Island Line vacancies come up so I'm not sure they recruit externally that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.