• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

InfoBleep nerdy trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I have a fascation of timetables and timetable changes, so after a brief discussion I agreed to start a trip report thread on my travels involving timetable changes.

I might throw in some other stuff to. I am perticular like unusual platform departures or additional stops. Things that don't occur so often. I also like to celebrate when a train that rarely departs o. Time manages to do so. I know it's not from want of trying by staff, hence why one should be thankful when it occurs.

Any delay that a builds up along with journey, without any reason given to passengers, I call delay creep. It's something that slowly builds up.

Sometimes I can pin point which train started the delay creep further ahead and other times I fan't. Delay creep might only build up to 4 to 5 minutes but equally it can get to over 10 minutes. Once a reason is given I no longer class it as delay creep becsuse I can attribute it to something else.

Any train or combination of trains that rarely run, I class as unique journey opportunities.

For example for this week's guard strike timetable on South West Trains, one can catch 7:28 and 8:28 trains from Guildford to Waterloo via Epspm. The latter is perticularly handy if you wish to travel to places such as Cheam and Sutton. I know there is a 7:58 and 8:58 but it just so happened on Tuesday that I was in time to catch the 8:28 but not the 7:58. It saved having to travel via Dorking Deepdene and walk to Dorking (Main). Such is the length of time you hang around at Dorking (Main) that it didn't matter that the train to Dorking Deepdene departed. The train to Dorking Deepdene

I perticularly enjoy trying to make use of these less common journey opportunities. So during the Waterloo blockade, I travelled on fast or semi fast trains from Surbtion that wouldn't usually run at the time I was travelling. There are reasons why they don't normally run but I'll enjoy them whilst they do.

Back to today's travel. This morning I was catching the 7 35 from Guildford This train usually departs at 7:32, during the leaf fall season but during the strike its 7:35, which is the time it departs outside of the leaf fall season.

It had a green light to go but then it was announced the 7:37 fast service to Waterloo would today take an extra hour. I think it was being diverted.

Thus a lot of people rushed over to be on our service and we were held and departed 3 minutes late or 6 minutes late if the leaf fall timetable had been runnng.

It did get me wondering, if the leaf fall timetable had been in operation, woild be have departed before it was known that the 7:35 was going to take longer today?

Anyway the journey was slightly busier but it's the school holidays so that helped with numbers.

I was alighting at Hinchley Wood as I wished to post something via UPS. From there I'd catch a bus.

We were 8 minutes late into Hinchley Wood. The bus I wished to catch was appearing and disappearing from the Transport for London feed my bus app uses. It did finally reappear though and the it was due in 2 minutes.

Alas the app wasn't displaying any other K3 buses for at least 30 minutes so I decided to get the bus and do my posting later as who knows when a bus might arrive. I've had times when the hours walk into Kingston would have been almost as quick as the bus. The bus journey off peak is 16 minutes.

I like walking so would do that if the journey times are comparable.

This evening I decided to catch a train from Kingston. Alas I didn't allow myself enough time to reach the station and missed it. As the best train wasn't for another half hour I took a bus to Surbtion to resume my journey there.

I knew there was a strike timetable on and the times the trains left, so it's entirely my fault I missed the train. So I annoyed myself, as I do when such things occur.

A bad workman should always blame themselves. After all if it's someone else's fault, you might blame them.

So managed to catch the 17:11, which was 2 minutes late into Claygate and despite the 17:08 departing at 17:08 and 20 seconds, the 17:11 still managed to depart almost 2 minutes late. Now wouldn't that leaf fall timetable had been useful. Don't understand why it could have been been today.

The 17:11 like all x11 and x41 today was stopping at New Malden. Due to the earlier signalling issues at Walton-on-Thames, they were at one stage also stopping at Raynes Park

However this stop was no longer considered necessary and taken out. Now I have often wondered why the x11 and x41 services don't always stop at New Malden. The 7:03 and 7:35 do.

So to be surprise the additional stop at New Malden didn't add in much of a delay and I got to Clapham Junction only 2 minutes later than timetabled. Bewr in mind it departed Surbtion 2 minutes late, less trains were running and its average delay into Clapham for the last 100 days has been 3 minutes. So good going.

Then it was time to switch to a southern train. This is always late and today was no exception. In fact I find it's always a nice feeling when your on a train, which most of the time runs late and for once it's on time. I know it's not for want of trying it's just that it's so difficult to run such a train on time, for many reasons. Thus it should be celebrated when it does happens.

Even though the Southern train was late, I tend to find they don't have build up so much delay creep. At least not this train, the 17:32.

And there ended my days travel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sometimes the strike timetable benefits me as well. Normally my local station gets a 2-hourly service on Sundays but a few weeks ago when the RMT were striking on a Sunday it was upgraded to having an hourly service which meant I didn't need to be extra careful when in London, or get a lift back from Andover.

Likewise tomorrow I'm hoping to catch the 14:33 service, which on a normal Friday is semi-fast between Salisbury & Basingstoke, which saves me driving to Andover and parking on the side of the road.

PeterY

Established Member
I like the term "delay creep". I've experienced quite a lot recently, especially with Trans Pennine excuse, sorry Express.

I must admit, I like collecting timetables on my travels.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This evening I was getting a train from Guildford to Waterloo. I'd decided to catch the 17:41 which comes from Weymouth. It's a white train and their are plug sockets in standard class.

It was running 8 minutes late due to a problem currently under investigation.

So before it departed there was a train from Alton to Waterloo that had pulled in. The 17:59. That was fairly empty and 12 carriages long but it's fine I thought I'll get a seat on the 17 :41. It's a Sunday and there's nothing online to suggest I won't. It's 10 carriages so plenty of room.

Wrong. The train was packed and because I didn't sit down before Woking, as I got chatting to someone and then used the facilities, I didn't get a seat. At Woking even more got on the train. Maybe on the last carriage there might be seats but the person I spoke to suggested otherwise and besides getting down to the end would be fun! So whilst it wasn't as rammed as the old 7:56 East Croydon to Victoria, it was busier than the infamous so called rammed train Jemery Corbyn boarded!

Still I was stood in the gangway between the sets of coaches and I quite enjoy the more bumpy ride now and again in this part. You don't always get to here the announcements either so you feel a but more of an adventure. Perhaps the TOCs could market it to the adventurous types! Today I could hear the announcements though as the guard was in his gangway compartment - does it have a more technical name than what I'm using?

One day I'm sure there will be a way of announcing how busy all the trains are online, so you can make an informed judgement in advance. Today I actually did make an effort to see how the train was doing in advance. However I only checked National Rail Enquiries and not Journey Check or Twitter. So I didn't make a proper effort.

The best bit is that once I got to the in between coaches gangway, I remembered the some 450 stock now has plug sockets in standard class. I could have probably had a nice bank of seats and two plug sockets all to myself. Haha! I can't get use to having such luxuries on more and more South Western Railway stock. Not that I'm complaining.

Still at Clapham Junction a load of people got off - must be a popular station! So I got a seat with plug socket and table.

It did have some rubbish on it but why use a bin when a table exists.

Incidentally I saw some people standing in first class in the sixth carriage. Why they didn't sit down in the spare seats? I am guessing they didn't have a first class ticket. Really they should have stood elsewhere. The fifth carriage or the part of the sixth carriage which isn't first class would have been legally fine. The fifth carriage would have been closer to the exits at Clapham Junction or Waterloo too. It wouldn't have been easy getting there mind you but that doesn't matter as long as they weren't lottering in the first class area.

So an eventful journey that didn't require me to use a car or think about ebay ahead thay I need to minsful of.

Once we reached Waterloo the guard apologised for the delay. Good on them. They didn't explain the reason but that will be recorded somewhere at some point.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The problem with the plug sockets on the 444s is they are only underneath the tables in one of the driving coaches, and as there isn't many tables they do tend to get families/group so the chances of getting one of those seats is low.

I suspect it was busier due to the diversion via Havant/Guildford.

(Although isn't the refurbished 444 meant to have more plug sockets in standard class?)

infobleep

Veteran Member
The problem with the plug sockets on the 444s is they are only underneath the tables in one of the driving coaches, and as there isn't many tables they do tend to get families/group so the chances of getting one of those seats is low.

I suspect it was busier due to the diversion via Havant/Guildford.

(Although isn't the refurbished 444 meant to have more plug sockets in standard class?)
I don't actually know. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

Your right about the chances being low but of course that didn't enter my head.

On my journey back the inbound train was late so we ended up departing after the Alton service. At one stage we were being passed by a 455 and/or 456 surbuban service but that didn't last long. When that occurs I always think it's a sign of your early; booked to wait somewhere or stuck behind another train.

We finally overtook the Alton service at Surbtion. On the way in the Alton train was delayed so we could depart first.

The journey back was a 444 but I didn't bother with the plug sockets this time round. Train wasn't so busy either.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Another morning. More delays. As with all delays the railway isn't always the one at fault. I just missed the 8:03 Guildford to Waterloo via Cobham today.

Unfortunately th e inbound service that makes up the 8:22 wasn't delayed enough to delay the 8:03 so I could board it!

Still the 8:02 via Woking to Waterloo obliged me but running 4 minutes late.

This gave it a very tight connection at Woking but due to signalling issues at Waterloo my connecting train would be late.

One never knows how late and very occasionally they run on time, so one rushes to the platform all the same.

So I boarded the train and we waited and we waited. It appears we had to wait for a diseal service to Waterloo to depart. I was surprised we were no sent ahead of it, as it felt like sometime before the diseal service departed. The guard did well to keep us updated. Yes a guard that is helpful. They do exist people. I knew that anyway.

If only drivers could teleport between the ends of the train. Then the service might not be so delayed departing. I mean every second counts in a delay! I am being sarcastic if not sure. At least we had a driver. Otherwise we wouldn't be going anywhere.

One bloke then asked the guard when the train was going to leave as he'd like a cigarette. The guard says any time just waiting for the signal. So the bloke goes I'll start it anyway. He managed some puffs out of it. Not the full thing but I guess when you have to have puff you have to have a puff.

Now I know the platform is very open but as far as I'm aware, it's still illegal to smoke there. Not that I was planning to report it mind you. I only mention it here as I thought it interesting. Not something you see so often. Especially at a manned station such as Woking. I actually don't like smoking myself but I wouldn't shop someone else just for doing that.

So the train departed about 8 minutes late. By Weybridge it was just 4 minutes late. They haven't even felt the need to remove any stops.

You think we'll why would they do that on a train now only 4 minutes late? Well they did that on the 8:02 once. It was just 4 minutes Kate and had stops removed. Never figured out if their was another reaosn beyond it just being 4 minutes late.

Today the 8:02 Woking to Waterloo had the fun of departing after the 8:05 and thus getting held up outside West Byfleet, as the 8:05 is booked to wait there and wait it did. If only during such circumstances the 8:05 could suddenly switching to being the 8:03 and depart straight away. Yes someone might not be on it but north of Woking it stops at precisely the same stations as the late running 8:02. Still there will be good reasons for this not being possible I'm sure so its just a fact of life.

It departed Woking 9 minutes late and by Esher was 18 minutes late. No stops removed though.

Once at my destination, just 4 or so minutes late, whilst walking over the footbridge, which isn't connected to the platforms, I spied some dog poo. I guess a dog has gotta do what a dog has gotta do.

Finally I reached one of three bus stops. There are two bus stops outside Surbtion. station covering multiple routes that then merge outside Waitrose.

I've never understood this but so many people wait outside Waitrose. Should a single decker bus turn up or even a double decker after a gap, they can't board.

So I boarded a K2 and they didn't. However we then encountered a slightly delay. The driver rightly said no more space please get the 71 due. Perhaps it was behind. I'd only seen a K3 myself when waiting.

So girl didn't hear him and got on. He said your blocking the morro you'll need to get off. She protested, saying it wants hear blocking the mirror. Eventually we left. The driver did have to ask someone else to move back or lean back I guess ashrye were blocking the mirror.

The journey was a but more sudden breaking. Was it unsafe journey? We eventually reaches the Kingston university stop. The girl then siad could the driver open the front doors as she can't get through due to all the people. Now university term started in September I believe. Surely by now the girl might realise that most of the people standing and some sitting will actually we getting off the bus here.

The driver to be difficult siad no. He did eventually relent but the girl could easily have waited.

So another journey by public transport that wasn't dull. As Rod Stewart's album was titled: Never a Dull Moment.

infobleep

Veteran Member
People talk about having fun and games but I think perhaps it could be renamed fun and trains.

Today there is a points issue affecting platform 1 at Gatwick Airport but no problem as they expect the disruption to be gone by 7:30. No mention of the problem being fixed but that doesn't matter.

So by 7:46 the Cambridge service is suing platform 4. It usually uses platform 1. That is in use though.

Then I notice the 7:26 to London Bridge was on time departing Haywards Heath but the Gatwick Express from Brighton, which overtook the Cambridge service at Haywards Heath had overtaken the 7:26.

The 7:26 normally uses platform 3 but not today. Today it's platform 4 and so it was late. I hadn't realised it departed from platform 3.

To be fair they have now decided its 9am the disruption will be finished. That makes more sense

So I get to East Croydon to pick up a bus. The route with one every half hour isn't listing one, despite it being in between the half hour times it should turn up and the other route where the buses are more frequent says the next one is due in 26 minutes. Still TfL don't say their is a thing wrong. In fact my bus app warning just talks about their being 24 hour bus service! How about more rebust info on delays and cancellations.

Perhaps I shouldn't call it fun and trains but fun and buses. At least with the trains they tell you more about your delays.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
So having waiting at the 407 bus stop I see the X26 is getting closer. It's due 8:34. So I rush over to the X26 to find its gone. Great.

Earlier it wasn't even listed. I only went to the other stop because it's more frequent and initially their was no service for the X26 for half an hour! Fun and buses.

Edit: not to long later a bus was listed as arriving in 8 minutes great. This changes to 6. Then 4. Then 2 and then 4 and it got stuck on 4 for ages.

It is now due in one minute.

I could have got a train to near my destination but in it involves changing train stations and in theory the buses are closer to my destination and thus faster. Not today.

I'm only been in East Croydon for 42 minutes!

I suspect the 407 might have been faster had I waited but not as fast as the X26 had I gone to the X26 bus stop when no buses were listed for the next 30 minutes.

I remember once waiting 45 minutes for a bus in Oxford to the city centre. There was another road about 5 minute walk way but I kept thinking if I leave this stop a bus will turn up. This was in the late 90s when there was no bus information.

Today we have bus information and I still end up spending 42 minutes looking for a bus! No wonder some people drive.

On top of that I didn't have much reception. One of the good things about O2 is their customer service and WiFi hotspots. Alas they don't have such things at the bus stops.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Another evenings disruption partly caused by a broken down train. Disruptions generally makes for a more interesting hour ey because you never quite know which train or route to get, assuming you have a choice of trains that is.

Tonight a disruption was expected to end 18:00. Then it changed to 18:30. By 18:44 it said trains are no longer being disrupted by the earlier broken down train.

If that information is correct, I'd sure like to know what is causing them to still be disrupted? There was a trespass around Havant way. However not sure what impact that would have on stopping services that depart from platforms 1 to 4 at Waterloo.

I see a passenger was taken ill. I do hope they are not too ill. That would explain the continued delays.

I find it's very hard for passengers to know which incident delays which train and it can even be multiple incidents. Perhaps passengers don't need to worry about such things.

I only say this though because there is no longer any general disruption notice on National Rail Enquiries, yet it appears as if trains are being just as delayed. So passengers will see a delay notice vanish, whilst still seeing delayed.

Whay could well have happened is the next delay reason was only known when or after they took down the previous delay notice.

It's things like this that I find interesting. It is possible to find the reasons if you drill down further though.

The train I got departed 14 minutes at 18:44. There are still plenty of delayed trains of course but Once peak rush hour ends, it should improve.

I was aiming for a fast train to Woking from Surbtion but I instead got a direct one to Guildford, as that looked faster today. However currently NRE is predicting that the other combinations of trains I didn't catch will be faster. I guess the reason for this was the prediction didn't match what happened and so the stopping train left too close to the fast train.

Of course the train I'm on was stuck outside Effingham Junction, waiting for the 18:59 Effingham Junction to Waterloo to depart. What we need there is a flyover to avoid such conflicts at the junction!!! I'm joking by the way.

I should have modelled the trains at Effingham Junction to see if that would likely increase my journey time.

It doesn't really matter to much if I'm late tonight but I enjoy trying to correctly figure out which train or group of trains will reach a destination first.

Tonifht I didn't manage it and will be out by about 9 minutes.

No announcements today on the train. Still if we ever move to DOO then that will be the outcome during some disruptions anyway, unless the driver feels they are able to make announcement or even wants too. At least we have a guard.

infobleep

Veteran Member
At least you got home, and have options of getting towards Guildford
Quite.

Another thing happened today that I found interesting. I got onto a platform after a train should have just left, to find people standing in front of the doors

Shortly the signals went from red to green and the platform indicator read please stand clear this train is ready to leave. There wasn't any automated platform announcements or manual ones.

Anyway the board continued to display that for the next two minutes with the doors locked. Then the doors opened, everyone boarded and the train departed 3 minutes late. It would have actually departed on time, if it hadn't been a leaf fall timetabled service.

I guess that's what happens when things are automated and the system has no reason to believe the train can't depart on time. Still at least a human knows what should actually happen in this case.

I think the reason for the delay was a delayed arrival from Waterloo. That probably contained the required member of staff before the train could depart.

I have seen trains wait before but usually with the doors open and passengers on board.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I guess that's what happens when things are automated and the system has no reason to believe the train can't depart on time. Still at least a human knows what should actually happen in this case.

I was at Manchester Oxford Road yesterday at around 18.15-18.45. Still on the display screens (without a platform) was the 14.15 to Manchester Airport indicated as Delayed! Well, that is odd enough as there would have been loads of trains to the airport in the meantime. Then, suddenly an automated announcement came across apologising for the delay to the service!! Ha ha. Surely, it wasn't going to appear from somewhere...

infobleep

Veteran Member
More interesting delays tonight. Just as the evening peak was stating and congestion from earlier incidents was due to end, a train broke down at Earlsfield in the south bound direction. They can't win it seems.

This actually led to some trains skipping Vauxhall and Earlsfield but thankfully in some cases but not all, they still stopped at Clapham Junction and Wimbledon.

The 16:45 was also running with a delay and so that departed Clapham Junction at 17:26. They didn't even remove the stop. A little bonus for passengers turning up around that time. Even the 16:55 was stopping at Clapham Junction. So I hat was terminating early at Woking though. As the delayed stopping trains to Woking this point were skipping Clapham Junction, a nice bonus to have a fast train. There was at least direct stopping trains running to Guildford.

I got to Clapham Junction and the next fastest train towards Haywards Heath was the 17:52. The 17:32 wasn't shown. The train running screen doesn't list the next 2nd or 3rd departure when the 1st departure occurs over multiple lines or the second one does. Thus it's not possible to see if the following deaptures are delayed.

There maybe a screen elsewhere but I've come up form the subway, off another platform and haven't passed any other screens.

The next fastest should help but it doesn't take into account delayed trains as it doesn't know how delayed a delayed train will be. It could depart after 17:52, which itself might not even be delayed.

Once the station gets WiFi it will help, as O2 data reception is patchy at Clapham Junction. Some days it's great and others, like today, non existant.

There was an East Grinstead train pulling in so I decided to board it as I could get another train from East Croydon.

Whilst on the train, it wait and waited some more. I looked over and saw what I thought was the next fastest departure screen saying a train to Haywards Heath at 17:35. It Wmwas now 17:31. If I stayed on the East Grinstead train and that got held up outside East Croydon, as can occur, I might miss my train and perhaps be late to my eventual destination. I'm already late. It takes time to get from platforms 5 and 6 to 1 to 3. So as the train hadn't left I decided to bale out. It was now rather busy. Much busier than the so called rammed service Jeremy Corbyn got. Still I managed to get off through the people.

Whilst on the platform it eventually departed. Soon in came a delayed train to Reigate that I was unaware of. After that the train I wanted to catch. It left 17:39. So if I'd stayed in the East Grinstead train I'd have been ok to change at East Croydon.

At East Croydon I decided to go and look for a seat but I hit a load of people standing in a vestibule. Whether it meant the train was short formed; it was busier than usual or people were blocking a carriage when space existed in the remaining ones south, at that point I couldn't say as I didn't think to look up the train formation information. That's in Southern's Web Site and I was on National Rail Enquiries.

Having just checked I see the train was indeed short formed. Having this info on the station departure boards would be so handy. Perhaps some day that will be provided.

Has I known that I would have gone further down the platform at Clapham Junction.

Still I'm enjoying an in between carriages adventure whilst typing this.

The train is 12 minutes late but it could have been worse. Actually scrap that. It's not 16 minutes late. Must have been stuck behind a stopping service between Gatwick Airport and Haywards Heath. I didn't think to check the trains running ahead.

By checking those you can then work out an approximate delay which may be more accurate than the one National Rail Enquiries provides, at the time your looking.

The reason for the delay is a fault with the signalling equipment so it's not delay creep at least.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Another wonderful journey this morning. Cough cough. I appreciate these things happen though.

I wasn't ready to get a delayed 7:08 from Guildford to Gatwick so oppted for the slow 7:53.

I checked the trains at Gatwick for my onward connection to Haywards Heath but perhaps to far in advance.

I got to Gatwick on time and unfortunately just missed a train to Eastbourne and Littlehampton. It only left 2-3 minutes late.

Then I saw the 8:58 was cancelled due to more trains needing repairs than usual. The 9:05 was terminating short at Three Bridges due to a signalling fault.

The 9:20 was delayed suw to ice.

There a 9:12 to Brighton but that runs non stop.

It's unfortunate the 8:50 wasn't more delayed than it was.

There were disruption notices but nothing di could see to do with signalling that might affect the 9:05. When that I arrived I heard the driver say that one had a fault. So the notice online was incorrect. It made more sense.

Platform staff did ask control if they could put a stop order on the 9:12 but never heard back.

Perhaps they didn't wish to do that due to icing.

I did see a network rail dicing train so assuming it was in deicing mode and not leaf mode, they would have been deicing the tracks. It may still be in leaf fall mode as it is leaf fall timetable season still.

As for the 9:28 that was cancelled due to ice.

The 9:20 did have a 14 minute delay but now it just says delayed.

I did look at circulating via Brighton but that didn't seem to me faster at the time one looked.

The 9:20 is now 20 minutes late. The platform staff were very polite and helpful but there's been no tanoy announcement bar the automated ones.

I knew the 9:20 would be more than 14 minutes late.

My alternative today would have been to travel during my lunch hour but after discussing it with someone else we decided it would be better to travel now. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. Saying that by lunch time where might be another signalling issue affecting the North Downs Line.

Such is life. At least I could do some work on my earlier train, which included first class turned into standard class, complete with a table and plug socket.

No such luxuries at Gatwick Airport Station.

Of course the 9:50 to Littlehampton and Eastbourne is currently on time. It would be, I don't wish to catch it! Haha

9:35 is delayed due to a fault with the signalling system so maybe there is a fault somewhere that doesn't have a disruption notice but the 9:05 was in addition taken out of service due to a train fault.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
9:20 left at 9:45 so there wasn't a train for 53 minutes to Haywards Heath.

The maximum delay to a train prior to the 8:58 being cancelled was just 10 minutes.

I now hear there was also an earlier broken down train.

Despite the 53 minute gap, there was no station manual announcements. The staff were friendly to speak to but you'd think they might make some kind of manual announcement. I didn't use the platform 7 waiting room but probably should have done it was so cold.

Delays like this will never go away though. It's impossible, as you will always get icing, signal faults, train faults, more trains needing repairs than usual and broken down trains and some days you'll get them all at once!

Improving the lines and tunnels between Three Bridge and Brighton Wil I. Rpove reliability but it can't really deal with the above.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Day I'm off to Bath with my first experience of a class 800. I made it to Reading on time which was a bonus.

After is gone up the escalator I saw a notice about people with luggage using the lift instead. I then immediately thought of all the London Underground stations without lifts. Imagine if they said please use another underground station. Still I know they wouldn't do such a thing and where the facilities exist, I guess it's good to recommend them.

I saw a train to Oxford come in with its pantograph up. I was kind of expecting it to be the same on thr Bristol train but not so.

At the station the departure board told one which carriage number had first class. Alas the train used letters for carriage identification. Also the front five carriages the letters were in reverse formation. Then there is the fact I believe not all letters are used so counting them wouldn't work.

Still as I didn't wish to sit in first class, it wasn't a problem.

There was a block of four seats, one of which was reserved for me. Someone was sitting in it but there was plenty of seats not revered so I just said nearby.

Having got a seat I then set about finding the buffet for some hot food. A hot bacon roll would be nice. I'd not heard any announcements about food but I can't believe they wouldn't offer food. Eventually though I came across the food trolley. I decided to wait until it reached my carriage and sat down. However as it transpired, it was going in the opposite direction.

On a second attempt I went through first class and eventually found it without any staff. Perhaps they are having a break. Staff are entitled to such things.

I also found the kitchen again which has a microwave so it seems hot food is possible.

Anyway if it's just one trolley for the whole train and it's off into the next set of five carriages, I doubt I shall see it before my destination. I don't know if they run two trolleys but it would make sense if they did.

I'd not bad any breakfast, deciding to save myself for this train journey food and the hope they do something hot.

If for whatever reason I don't buy any food, it will put me off trying again and I'll just bring my own next time.

The train is on time, which is good. If it gets to my final destination on time that will be one of the very rare days when all my trains are on time.

infobleep

Veteran Member
So it looks like no food today. Even if the trolley had planned to come back, the vestuble area is so packed it wouldn't get through.

Next to me of a spare seat. There are other spare seats. Not loads but still some.

Perhaps people prefer crowding in the vestuble.

As for the train being on time, alas there is a train had ahead with a train fault which is slightly delaying us. It's not a problem as such. It just serves to highlight how difficult it is to run trains to time. It's not from lack of trying though.

infobleep

Veteran Member
So how's my journey back from Bath going? Find out after my trip to Bath itself.

I was staying in the Bath YHA. I'd forgotten that I could use my old South West Trains gold card free weekend tickets to go to Bath and I could have travelled up Friday for free. I couldn't on the Saturday as there was a strike on. Still I support the safety reasons fod it so happy to be disrupted by it.

Still I got two advanced purchase tickets for £28.50 in total so that was fine.

I forgot about plus bus when booking and to check if any buses went to my Bath YHA hostel. They did and every 15-20 minutes depending on which day and time of day. I noticed them as I started my ascent up Bathwick Hill.

Still I've started so I shall carry on was my view. I got to the top and did indeed see some buses in route. Alas they were going in the opposite direction.

In fact I took 6 journeys to and frim the hostel and three of them followed the bus route. Out of the three I only had a bus go past me in my direction once. I must have been unlucky! The journey on foot was about 17 minutes up the hill.

Google wanted me to the shortest route, which is beside a field and behind some houses. Then along a tow path. I don't fancy that at night in the dark when alone.

Google could do with an avoid lonely footpaths route. I doubt it would make any money though, so it won't be implemented any time soon.

Still in daylight is was good enough. Even with suitcases and bags I took the route.

My purpose for being in Bath was to see the space rock band Hawkwind. They were playing with the Docklands Orchestra, conducted by Mike Batt. Mike, the one who had a hit with that Wombles songs. Concert was worth going to Bath for, never mind Bath itself. The Orchestra were smartly dressed in black. Mike wore a kind of Hawaiian shirt and Hawkwind their usual clothing of jeans and shirt.

Whist That was my primary purpose, I never go to towns without also visiting the second hand bookshops, be they chairty or not.

Whilst doing this I managed to pick up some Stanford county guides. Thats Standfords the map shop in London. These are great as they do the excursions by railway and then road, if no railway line exists. They include railway lines which are not touristy either but they usually say if theirs nothing of interest.

Did I mention that they were published in the 1880s and although they went through multiple editions, you don't see them so often. Hence when I see one I purchase it regardless of quality. My latest two, Stanford's Guide to Somerset and Stanfird's Guide to Hampshire were in good quality.

So yesterday I had lunch in Salamander public house. Today I had lunch in the Firehouse Rotisserie. The food in both was good but the Firehouse so good that I had three courses. It turns out it was next to the Salamander so I was able to reuse the WiFi.

Whilst there was a Christmas market on, it was packed. As I find the atmosphere of the British Christmas markets not as good as those in Austria, I tend to avoid them. Maybe I'm doing them a disservice but that you go. So indeed avoided it.

I didn't so the touristy stuff, well bar visiting a hexagonal post box in the day light to photograph it. You find these rare post boxes in all sorrs of places, still giving good service to all who use them.

So after a lovely weekend, including going to the station with my bags and suitcase, via the path beside that field and behind those houses, and tow path - well it was the fastest route according to Google -, it was time to board a Great Western Railway service.

So how Great would my journey be today? Well it was another class 800 and the seat reservations were not working. Still better they run the train without them than cancel it. There were also lots of people on the platform too. To my surprise though I got a seat beside the luggage rack. I imagine there were quite a few groups of passengers and even if they did have reservations, they would struggle to sit together.

I'm now thirsty but didn't allow time to buy a drink at the station. I allowed myself time to go to the station whilst taking photos on route, with about 3-4 minutes to board the train itself.

I've heard one announcement from a member of staff wishing to get hold of another member of staff and I've heard automated announcements but nothing about food. I doubt the trolly could even get through. Still as long as the goverment and DfT are happy with these trains then thatis all that matters.

Give me an old slam door any day.

infobleep

Veteran Member
So I had to collect a tablet from the Argos. Only the one near Victoria Station. The tablet couldn't be delivered and not every Argos had the item in stock. However it was in a Cyber Monday sale; I had a voucher and I like a challenge. I also enjoy travelling by train. The tablet was present and I'd spent time workout which one to get whilst on a set budget. I could have gone another day but I wanted to go that day.

The first train I could catch was the 20:49 from Guildford and the Argos / Sainsburys closed at 22:00. On top of that there was yet more disruption to South Western Railway services. In fact even some Southern branded trains were running with disruptions too.

Some lines had earlier been closed through Clapham Junction, along with other incidents. Still let's have ago all the same. Even the lady who when passing. Ht the barrier staff said she had been delayed by 2 hours didn't deter me as my trains were showing as being on time. Of course showing as on time and being on time are not always the same thing

My three trains I had to catch all departed on time, which was great. All of them also arrived late however. Still I was on every single one. In all cases I imagine we were waiting for other late trains to departs ahead. Certainly was the case unto Victoira.

I managed to collect the tablet with 7 minutes to spare! Good excerise.

Now to get the 22:00 back to Clapham Junction so I thought. Once I arrived at Victoira I saw the 21:55 to Brighton hadn't departed by 21:57, so I headed off to catch it and if I missed it I'd get the 22:00. Alas I didn't catch it and 22:00 departure was actually an Epsom Downs train that departed from a different set of platforms so I missed that too. It of course departed on time.

Just because a train is listed on a departure board, doesn't mean you'll be able to catch it, well unless it's delayed enough so you do. It can of course be impossible to know how delayed it will be at times.

So now it hinged in whether the 22:12 Clapham Junction to Woking would be late. Even if it was, it might not connect with the stopping service from Woking, were that on time. There was the 22:27 to Exeter if I missed the 22:12 but given that's an Exter train that uses a single line section to Exeter and given there har been disruption, who knows if that one would have been on time.

Either way I did collect the tabket and I won't need to head up another evening. So I was successful in my eyes.

Whilst waiting for my train to depart Victoira I looked up Waterloo departures. The 22:05 wasn't showing but other trains were delayed. Had it really left on time. No it hadn't. The departure was just saying on time, although it hadn't left. Thus it cleared from the online departure board. I hope it hadn't cleared from the Waterloo departure boards too. I suspect less chance of that occurring.

The only reason I could see it hadn't departed was thanks to being able to go back in time with the National Rail Enquiries App. It's one of its better selling points. Not sure quite how many there are. Possibly one of these apps that was good when it came out and then got overtaken by many others.

I decided I should thus make the train. Or course there was the slight possibility that the train was starting from somewhere other than Waterloo and they forgot to cancel the Waterloo stop or some other reason caused it not to show it as actually departing Still dismissed those and I knew there were problems before I left.

Sure enough the train was late and I hopped on board.

Next question then was would be connecting train to be late. In short yes it was. Just the 28 minutes late. Oh well that next train to Portsmouth Harbour was on time at this stagw so I'd just join that, as it's due to arrive first.

Unsurprisingly, during it's journey the stopping service had its Guildford stop removed. This lead to a 1 hour and 4 minute gap between services from Guildford to Woking and the ability not to be able to reach any station on the Chertsey branch line. Still at least those passenagers would be put in a taxi. Less chance of that for those heading to Woking or Weybridge, as there were still trains you could catch.

I looked up whether going via Aldershot would have been quicker. It's not usually advertised as a route to divert via, when such gaps occur in the service. Doing that would have got you into Woking 3 minutes earlier! You'd be on warm trains for longer too. Still that isn't a reason to suggest it.

So I completed my challenge successfully. Yes I was delayed but it would have been a very lucky escape had I not to have been.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
So it looks like no food today. Even if the trolley had planned to come back, the vestuble area is so packed it wouldn't get through.

Next to me of a spare seat. There are other spare seats. Not loads but still some.

Perhaps people prefer crowding in the vestuble.

As for the train being on time, alas there is a train had ahead with a train fault which is slightly delaying us. It's not a problem as such. It just serves to highlight how difficult it is to run trains to time. It's not from lack of trying though.

I've noticed that some groups prefer standing in the vestibules rather than being split up across seats

infobleep

Veteran Member
At what point when a train is delayed at somewhere like Waterloo do they remove the train from. The board? Especially when I'm assuming the board says it's on time?

I wished to travel to either Wimbledon or New Malden today. I was at Waterloo and walking through the subway I saw their was a 8:17 to Chessington South.

There were no trains listed for platforms 3 and 4. Unusual I thought but fine. When I got onto platform 2 though I saw the 8:12 to Shepperton hadn't departed. It left 7 minutes late.

I know of trains that remain on the board after they have left, when they are late or in some cases even if they are not. However I don't often come across trains removed before they have left when they are delayed.

I imagine the train was removed 8 minutes in advance of its actual departure. People could easily board it in that time but why would they want people in a not very busy train!

If one was actually going to Shperton, trains are only every 30 minutes so it might be helpful to leave it on the board.

Needless to say the platform board had it but that's not visible from the subway.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Just 3 days today until the leaf fall timetable is over and the rails are being slippery customers.

I was going to a quiz this evening so decided to had to London Road (Guildford). I was actually travelling from Surbtion today.

I knew the trains were running late and that O2 had no data service. However I also knew of WiFi Hotspot on my run to the station.

So at the first but of WiFi I new the 19:08 Surbtion to Guildford hadn't left Waterloo yet. On my left bit I could tell there was a possbility I might even make the late running 18:58.

At 18:54 it was only showing as 9 minutes late. As I got to the station platform it was due in, in about 3 minutes, if I read the platform board correctly. I might have just enough time to use the facilities I decided.

Come out of the facilities I am seeing the Hampton train listed first. What's that doing be listed? Could it be some mistake. Or could I have misread the Hampton Court train for the Guildford one, as the Guildford one should haxe been in first.

Shortly in came the late 19:08 to Guildford on platform 3 and the delayed 19:06 to Hampton Court on platform 4. The 19:08 only departed 3 minutes late. I'd had visions of it being stuck behind the delayed 18:58.

Turns out the 18:58 got stuck behind the Hampton Court train and that stops at 3 extra stations. Last time I looked that train was running with a 22 minute delay! It only left Waterloo 7 minutes late.

The train I'm on its only 5 minutes late.

I wonder how much of a problem slippery rails will be once the leaf fall timetable ends.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yesterday I noticed the 7:16 Guildford to Waterloo via Cobham had it's stops cancelled due to a late train in front of it. This was the ones between Effingham Junction and Surbtion. It departed Effingham Junction at 7:44, as opposed to 7:30.

Today it left Effingham Junction 12 minutes late, I assums due to a late train in front of it and it didn't have its stops canceled. It departed at 7:43, so just 1 minute earlier. It left Guildford 8 minutes late as opposed to yesterday when it left Guildford just 3 minutes late. Yesterday the train was 3 minutes late departing Surbtion. Today it was 14 minutes late leaving Surbtion.

I see the Hampton Court service, which should depart Surbtion at 8:01 was 6 minutes late departing so at least that won't get in the way of the late running 7:53. However the 7:53 has instead got in the way of the 8:01, which in turn will delay the 8:08.

It won't delay the 8:11 though as that has been delayed for other reasons. I don't know why they decided not to cull the stops from the 7:16 but I find it interesting they didn't.

I'm on what will be the 8:11 train that is now 8 minutes late due to a late running train which starts at Effingham Junction. The guard didn't know what was causing the delay.

In fact they have now canceled all the stops between Surbtion and Waterloo. Lucky passengers wanting to go to any of those stations today! Why it can't just include New Malden and then switch to the fast line I'm not sure. Maybe there is no points to switch. I saw that before the guard but he has now made an announcement at least.

Whilst the guard told passengers to wait at Surbtion, as I got off I heard someone say, who was about to get on, that they intended to go to Waterloo and back down. No disruption has been announced. If someone held an Oyster Card it would be hard to spot that they were going up and down. I imagine on a paper season ticket it would be easier. However would an RPI issue a penalty fare because they didn't want to wait for the 8:31, the next train to stop at stations between Surbtion and Clapham Junction. It was only another 11 minutes away at th point and only due into Surbtion 1 minute late. I guess it depends on their final destination as to whether going via Waterloo is faster than waiting what would be another 12 minutes + additional delay up the line. By Clapham Junction it had been 7 minutes late. In contrast the 8:11 was was just 5 minutes late into Waterloo, arriving 8:45. The 8:31 would have got to Vaxhull at 9:04 in contrast. I have circulated via Waterloo myself before to reach New Malden when travelling from Guildford and missing a connection. It was faster than waiting.

I can't remember if the new SWR timetable improves on this. It may have better spacing so your not stuck at Surbtion for so long, awaiting a train that actually stops at intermediate stations.

I can hazard a guess why this occurred. Train to Effingham Junction is delayed. It then has to be shuted from platform 2 to 1, delaying trains in all directions. It then needs to depart platform 1. This it can only do after a 6 minute delayed train has arrived into platform, 2 as that train comes from the Cobham direction and blocks the Junction to Leatherhead, which the Effingham Junction train needs.

I wonder if this is all due to slippery rails today. The weather is awful out there. Of course despite the late running the 8:11 from Surbtion still needs to wait outside for a platform. It crawls and stops and then briefly crawls before stopping for even longer. No hurry. Haha.

I guess at least some passengers can claim delay repay at the 15 minute rate.

Sometimes trains are able to use platform 2 at Surbtion, when there are delays, which can help but that's only possible if there happens to be a long enough gap between through services.

Adding more lines through Surbtion would be great in times of disruption. One day hopefully the araea will be dealt with.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This evening I was on a bus and the driver played the automated announcement, please don't stand on the upper deck. Eventually he stopped the bus and played the announcement three times.

Still the Polish men didn't move. They didn't even had headphones in. By this time some woman on the. Us spoke up and siad some stuff in English and they moved downstairs.

I assume they were able to understand the announcement and if not they would do themselves a great service but learning English, if they are here for any length of time.

The trains seemed to do doing OK night with only minor delays. That was apart from the 18;23 from Waterloo. That had its Surbtion stop canned. It left Waterloo 13 minutes late.

No reason given so I asked on Tweeter. It was due to an earlier delay. I then looked up the inward service and saw it had a fault. These things happen. Lucky it was terminated then. They are usually very good at giving reasons for cancellations but occasionally they don't.

I also don't know what is the delay sweetspot for a train to have a greater chance its stops removed than kept.

infobleep

Veteran Member
More delay fun today. I decided I'd end up on 8:07 service from Guildford to Waterloo today. I decided this before heading off to sleep.

Leaf fall timetable being over. Alas there was a signaling problem at Woking. The 7:17 was delayed but I wouldn't make that unless it was very delayed. It only left 5 minutes late but had all its stops between Effingham Junction and Surbtion removed.

Perhaps they wanted it clear of fast trains I thought but why stop at the stations up to Effingham Junction?

There was then the 7:35 and that was going to be delayed. Maybe I'd make that.

However it arrived 7:36 so it would probably leave very quickly. So what about the 8:07? I'll try that one. I could see the 7:34 inbound service was cancelled.

So will the 8:07 run? I suspected not Around this time I found out why the 7:17 ran fast. A defective track at Clandon. That was listed on South Western Railway Journey Check but on National Rail Enquiries it was only above each individual service. When I saw it above the service I linked it to the signalling issue at Woking. After all couldn't some signalling issues also be described as a defective track?

So I tweeted South Western Railway to ask if the 8:07 would be cancelled. Nothing. Probably to busy to respond to all tweets.

Around 8:07 the train was announced. It's due to leave 8:09 but there was no rolling stock in the platform. At 8:11 it was cancelled.

Not surprised. I wonder if staff tried to find other rolling stock to run the service or they just didn't have time to cancel it until 4 minutes after it left.

As I type this the 7:34 Guildford to Waterloo service is still delayed.

Now some school children were on platform 1 and 2. They were deciding what to do. A member of staff had said the 8:09 would go first. There was a train on platform 2, which clearly wasn't the 8:25 to Portsmouth. Turns out it was an extra service to get to Effingham Junction, which would form the 8:46 from there. Shane it couldn't form an additional 8:07 service.

Some of the school kids decided to walk.

As I debated whether to risk travelling via Woking, I heard an automated announcement. It said please stand clear from the train on platform 3, as it is ready to leave.

What train on platform 3 I thought. Turns out it was the delayed 7:58. I think it would have been helpful to passengers on platforms 1 and 2, if that had been announced as the next train to depart to Effingham Junction. They could have looked on the summery boards of course.

However I think staff were to busy announcing the more popular but also delayed fast services.

Eventually I got the slightly delayed 8:22. Despite turning up at 8:20, it managed to depart at 8:26. The 7:35 turned up at 7:36 and departed 7:50. I was expecting that one to have been a short turn around like the 8:22.

So I won't be too delayed into my destination all things considered.

Surbtion station is busy but I imagine earlier it would have been manic, as so many Woking stoppers were cancelled. For about 2 hours there was only 2 trains an hour to Wimbledon and Clapham Junction. When there are only 2 trains an hour to those stations you know things are bad.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Fun & games with signalling problems again.

I forgot to mention that if I'd got the late running 8:02 faster to Waterloo, which departed 8:11, or the 8:18, which departed on time, I could have changed at Woking and got the delayed 8:17, which departed 8:30.

However between 7:02 and 8:30 only 1 stopping train ran from Woking towards Waterloo. It eventually turns out they reinstated the 8:02, having previously cancelled it as far as I can remember.

Still had I not been on the 8:22 I'd never have departed north from Woking from platform 4.

I have done this before but it's very rare. I was very happy to be on the service once this occurred. I like depart from unusual platforms or in less common directions from platforms.

Some people like to travel on different trains. I like to depart from different platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.