• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

InfoBleep nerdy trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This morning I didn't think I'd make the 7:12 Southern branded service. I only wanted to board it because the first class is declassified. I'd then change onto the 7:16 service but further in its journey at Effingham Junction.

However the 7:12 was delayed due to a train fault so I'd be able to make it. Also the 7:16 was cancelled due to staff shortages so I'd need to get the 7:35, abet at Effingham Junction.

A member of staff said the doors would open shortly. Thus I knew it was likely to be a door fault. I stood around watching other trains depart.

The departure board explained the reason for the delay. Eventually the doors opened and we could board. By this point there was an announcement about the fault over the tanoy. This was repeated several times in a row, whilst I then boarded the train.

Once on the driver informed us that due to the delay the train would be running fast to Leatherhead. Cue some of us getting off. I wonder if anyone wanted Bookham, which wouldn't get a asrvixs again from Guildford until 7:58. I imagine it's unlikely.

The train then departed. Whilst this happened there was no announcement or update to the departure screens. I wonder how often this happens and is it more likely to happen at a station whose desoture screens are managed by a different company to the one who is running the train or is it just that Govia Thameslink Railway staff couldn't enter in the information fast enough before the train was amended. In this case the info comes from Govia Thameslink Railway. I have a feeling Darwin allows this.

Eventually I boarded a K3 bus. As it got to one point I saw a 281 in front. I decided given this bus was probably running fast, I should get off and join the 281, as that doesn't tend to regulate as much in my personal experience.

The 281 had a osywr card issue with another passenger and the K3 left first. However my Surbtion Crescent the K3 stopped. Our driver waited behind but the K3 aas going nowhere so our driver pulled out to drive around it.

The road works lights were green and we made really good progress Sure enough I got to my destination bus stop 30 seconds ahead of the K3.

This evening there was disruption on the trains due to train faults but the 18:23 to Basingstoke left on time. I didn't however check Clapham Junction or Woking. My mistake.

I decided I didn't have time to walk to the station so I should get a bus. There was a 281 due and a 281 2 minutes away. I decided I'd try the second of the two. I got to the bus stop just before the 281 turned up but not look after the 281 ahead had left.

We eventually over took this 281 and got to Surbtion 30 seconds or more ahead!

As I got off I noticed the train I wanted to catch was running 6 minutes late. It departed 7 minutes late. Thus I could have run for it

However I used the time in between to pop into Waitrose.

We slowed down nearing Woking but passing to our right was a train to Alton. Great. I'll make the connection.

We got into Woking at 18:58. The Portsmouth h triaj was due 19:00.it changed to 01, then 02. Then 03 and finally just delayed with an automated announcement.

It eventually left 19:07, so 7 minutes after the initial estimate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yesterday I got two trains and one of them was late. On Sunday I got one train and it was late. This just highlights are difficult it is for trains to run on time, even when they are trying to do so.

This morning my train waited at Walton on Thames longer than it should do. Whilst there would most likely be a good reason to need to do so, there are so many times when the need to do so exists.

This morning I ended up on a 465. It was announced the was pm diversion and we skipped Surbtion Crescent. The thing is I couldn't see any reason for the need to skip it. There was no roadworks on it.

If it was due to roadworks on Surbtion Road, causing buses to be left when trying to get out of Surbtion Crescent, well that probably existed last week. I doubt it was that though. There were signs telling bus drivers to divert

I wonder how many buses divert when there is nothing blocking their usual path.

It was a good job I did get the 465 as there was an 11 minute gap between buses from Surbtion station area to Brook Street, via the route that goes past the University. That is a route with 4 bus routes between the 2 places, of which 3 are high frequency!

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
When a stopping train to Surbtion is cancelled from Waterloo and the next stopping train comes in at the same time as a fast train, it causes queues up the stairs.

It might be slightly faster if there weren't barriers to exit the station but there are.

Thanks must go to the slight breeze this evening as I ran for my train. After getting a bus last week when my train at 18:40 departed Waterloo on time but actually was 7 minutes late leaving Surbtion due to following other trains, I decided to run. After all the 17:39 left a minute late so it will likely be more than that late.

However the train before my one was even more late and thus it gave my train no train in front. This meant it made up the lost time got into Surbiton on time.

I caught the train OK though and avoided the crowds going up the stairs too. But having done that the train was delayed by 2 mijutew. It was in just over a minute before it should depart too! So it was in the platform for over 3 minutes.

I decided I might have to run at Woking for my connection but I don't as its gone.

The train to Haslemere from Waterloo departed Woking 6 minutes late. Thus caused the train to Guildford to depart 15 minutes late. Yes I know that isn't 8 minutes. It was only 7 minutes late departing West Byfleet. There was no stopping train in front of it either.

This thus caused the train I was on to be 14 minutes late, despite only leaving Surbtion 2 minutes late. Thus my connecting train had bypassed us.

I had hopped to got the chemist. There is only one fast train an hour from Surbtion in the evening peak.

The guard did announce why we were buying held but only once. I guess they felt once was enough. I bet to differ.

Needless to say my train traim is 11 minutes late and caused there is nothing else.

Apparently there is a signalling issue at Byfleet and New Haa but we were passed that point. We were passed West Byfleet.

Edit: we got into Woking 14 minutes late. I asked a member of staff and they said it was due to a train terminating. However the online departure boards show no train having stops cancelled and the train in front of us didn't show as arriving into Surbtion until well over 10 minutes after it should have done. This being the 17:48. To Guildford

I've now tweeted South Western Railway for clarification, as they are suspose to report trains being cancelled.

Also on a slightly related note, there is no mention on Journey Check or on the top of the National Rail Enquiries live departure boards regarding the signalling issue at Byfleet and New Haw. Perhaps it's new but it surely can't be as one of the Twitter staff said a train was late into Waterloo due to signalling issues in the Byfleet and New Haw area. This was to form the 17:45. Now to pass Byfleet and New Haa and then form the 17:45, you'd need to be passing through over 30 minutes earlier than that. So about an hour prior to 18:24.

They are announcing the issue at the station though.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
This afternoon something unusual happened. The Guildford to Surbiton train arrived into Surbtion on time at 14:10. It was the 13:37. That only occurs 17% of the time. Its average delay is 1½ minutes.

This evening the 17:11 departure from Surbtion was 5 minutes late. No idea what caused its delay creep. It was gradual. I hadn't noticed this but wanted the 16:46, which was shown to be on time. Big hindsight mistake.

Anyway I decided to run for the train rather than get a bus I was passed early on by two buses following one anothe.band then a third near the end. The next bus after that was 4 minutes later. I got the platform in time as I expected to.

In fact in time to board the 16:41, which was 5 minutes late. No idea why given it was 5 minutes late they didn't remove any stops. Perhaps they felt it could make up the time.

I decided the 16:46 should be faster as its non stop to Clapham Junction, so waited for it. It had been due 47 but it changed to 48 and we departed at 49. I knew we'd depart at 49, as I knew it was impossible to get to the platform sooner without breaking the regulations covering where trains are safety on the track.obkt way this could be sooner would be to have used platform 2 but it was decided today it couldn't do that.

Once on the train I found the facilities that I needed, which to be fair the 41 didn't have, so probably better I boarded the 46.

After a time we were slowing down and I though ok must be bearing Clapham Junction, so I'd better get a move on.

No we weren't nearing Clapham Junction. We were nearing Raynes Park. We hasn't even reached Wimbledon! It turned out the signaller had decided we should remain on the slow line. Not sure at which point we switched as I didn't make a note but soon enough after rhat we were at Clapham Junction. Our slow progress had been due to stopping trains ahead. Stopping trains that we should not have been following as we are a fast train north of Surbtion that should use the fast line.

The 17:11 got into Clapham Junction 3¾ minutes late and I would have made my unofficial connection. So it made up 1¼ minutes late. No idea if I'd have made the connection id hoped to make but given platform 10 is closer to 13 than 7, I may have done. If the doors closed 30 seconds in advance, I'd have had to do it in 45 seconds and it woild depend where I was on the platform and how many others were on the footbridge or in the subway.

Note that train should arrive into Clapham Junction just after 16:46 arrives.

The 16:46 left Surbtion 3¾ minutes late and got into Clapham Junction 8¼ minutes late. No apology from the guard. I guess we should be greatful they announced the Clapham Junction stop.

I wonder if they were aware of how delayed we were? Perhaps they are in their own bubble, unaware of time.

Needless to say I missed the connection. It is an unofficial connect but I decided as I have just over 5 minutes to make the connection and I know where I am going, it should be doable but not if every time the sigalner has to path the fast train on the slow line. Anyway I'm not annoyed with the rail company that I missed it. I know it's unofficial. I am slightly annoyed that the guard didn't acknowledge the delay though.

I had hoped they might have allowed our fast train to use platform 2 at Surbtion. It mean during one recent bit of disruption a train departed south from platform 2 between 6 and 7pm. Alas there must not have been a long enough gap, unlike on that day.

I was only wondering today how much of an impact a delayed fast service leaving Surbtion would have on fast services that don't stop at Surbtion.

It can also impact on slow services too as delayed fast services can cause slow services to congest as fast and slow both mostly use platform 1.

Once at Clapham Junction I ran over to platform 13 just in case my connecting train was late. It wasn't.

So I boarded a Caterham service. As is my want, I walked through it, past people standing into an area marked first class. It wasn't do busy of course. I then paused, stood by a table and checked the service on real time trains.

Sure enough it was a standard class service as I expected. So I sat down and took a selfie, as I like to do in declassified first class services.

At East Croydon I waited for a delayed Brighton service. It was running 8 minutes late due to an earlier fire newt the railway. It was a class 700, with it's larger star for people to stand in. East Croydon is also a popular stop. Despite this it was rammed. It was quite arm pit to arm pit buy it wasn't too far off. No idea if it's always this rammed. No announcement about it being short formed but it only had 8 carriages. This surely can't be the standard service each day?

They could do with more places to hold on to.

I probably should have waited for the next train, which incidentally comes from Clapham Junction way but I didn't.

Once we got outside Gatwick Airport the driver said once again we are being held at a red signal. No idea why as seem to be empty platforms ahead of us. No reference to the 8 carriages so maybe it's the norm.

By Three Bridges enough had got off that I felt it would be possible to stand in declassified first class. However I got the last seat and took a selfie. Behind me were people standing.

We got into Haywards Heath 10 minutes late but before the 18:03 arrived. Interestiny the 16:56 from Surbtion is an official connection for the 17:22 and the 17:22 is the 18:03 arrival into Haywards Heath. So I could have caught the 16:56.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Last week I got held up outside Gatwick Airport on the 7:54 Three Bridges to Redhill service and had to claim for delay repay at 50% as I missed the 8:14 from Redhill to Guildford.

This morning I decided not to alight the 7:41 Haywards Heath to Three Bridges service at Three Bridges but stay on until Gatwick Airport. This should increase my chances of getting the 8:02 Gatwick Airport to Guildford service, as its just a cross platform change at Gatwick Airport but if I did hit a problem, I wouldn't be able to apply for delay repay.

This is due to the anomalies in minimum connection times. Three Bridges and Redhill are set at 5 minutes and Gatwick Airport at 10. The fact its easier to change trains at Gatwick Airport in this case is irrelevant. Thus there is more chance of delay repay being triggered when you officially change trains at Three Bridges and/or Redhill than Gatwick Airport. There maybe good reasons why the minimum needs to be 10 minutes but then anomalies in ticket pricing or routing maybe for good reasons too.

Anyway if I'd got out at Three Bridges today, I could have caught the 7:54 to Redhill and made the 8:14. What actually happened was that the 7:41 Haywards Heath service departed Three Bridges on time but got into Gatwick Airport 4 minutes late due to delay creep. We were even overtaken by the 7:54 service on route, even though we departed Three Bridges at 7:51. As a result I missed the 7:59 Gatwick Airport to Redhill service. I did at least made the 8:02 Gatwick Airport to Guildford service. I tried to pin point the reason for the delay creep. It was the 7:39 service from Bognor to Victoira. This arrived on time at 7:37 but was 3 minutes late departing. Must have been some reason why it needed to be at Gatwick Airport for 5 minutes instead of 2. That caused lots of delay creep to services behind.

The caused the 8:41 service from Eastbourne to London Bridge depart 3 minutes late. That had arrived a minute early at 7:39. They only allow 2 minutes between departing trains. I'm susprised they don't need longer than that.

Then there was the 7:44 to Gatwick Airport. This is the Victoira service from Brighton this due to arrive at 7:40, the same time as Eastbourne to London Bridge service should arrive. Normally it must use a different platform as today it arrived 7 minutes late and also used platform 4.

So much for their premium express service today! It made up 3 minute of the delay at Gatwick Airport but was still 7 minutes late into Victoria.

Hss I missed the 8:02 to Guildford I'd have been over 30 minutes late with no delay repay due as I didn't allow the minimum connection time at Gatwick .

There was no announced from anyone as to why we were delayed or apology. There was also no announcement or apology for our delay creep on the 8:02 either. I know our stop to be caused by a level crossing fault however as I saw a man holding a green flag by the level crossing. I wasn't expecting this to be the problem so I got rather lucky with my photo of him holding it.

20190830_082850.jpg

We were 6 minutes late at Dorking Deepdene but even if we were over 15 minutes late, I'd forfeited my right to delay repay by staying on the earlier train to Gatwick Airport, rather than getting off at Three Bridges. However in theory I'd increased my chances of not being almost an hour late.

Coming into Guildford I'd expect us to not be held up as there is no 8:49 train to Waterloo from Portsmouth. However of course there is as it's a strike timetable.

However we weren't held up but they were. The 8:49 passed Farncombe ¾ of a minute late. It eventually departed Guildford 4¼ minutes late, having only left Godalming a minute late.

Do Network Rail pick up the bill, given the 8:49 is a atikre timetable service and not a normal train? I imagine they do.

despite this we still lost more time and arrived 8 minutes late.

In fact the 7:54

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Normally they allowed 6 minutes from trains departing Farncombe until they depart Guildford. However for the strike timetable this evening and the 18:38 departure from Guildford, they allowed 7. Thie the train made up over 1 minute of its three minute delay and I missed it, as I hadn't expected it to make up so much of its lost time.

Online journey planners had been predicting it would be 2 minutes late, when it was 3 minutes late.

The strike timetable is interesting. The 17:19 from Guildford is 9 minutes faster to Wateeloo than 17:34, despite the fact the 17:34 only stops at one additional station, Clapham Junction. The 17:19 departs from Portsmouth & Southsea, where as the 18:34 departs from Portsmouth Harbour.

Is this a rare case of a train starting at Portsmouth & Southsea that doesn't stop at Clapham Junction. I must look it up some point.

Interestingly the train I got, the 17:49 departed Guildford on time. However it got held up outside Surbtion.

The signaller of all people, decided that the delayed 18:08 from Alton should use platform 2 at Surbtion, rather than wait for the delayed 18:01 from Hampton Court to clear platform 1. That was 9 minutes late. I'm only joking when I'm sound harsh on the signaller, they are just doing what they think is best.

However the other event a train I wished to get from Surbtion was held outside the station and not pathed on platform 2 a d thus not further delayed behind stopping services. So the exact opposite of today. Of course in both situations the alternative solution would have benefited me more but that's life.

Hampton Court trains today only have a 7 minute turnaround time at Hampton Court so any delays are less likely to be recovered from compared to usual.

It is a lovely evening though and I am on a 444 with a table seat and plug sockets. It's a 10 car service and in the front 5 cars, only the 5th carriage has plug sockets in standard class, so I'm happily making use of the provided electricity.

Due to their plug sockets and tables in standard class, these were always my favourite trains to travel on. Plug sockets have grown to include other models of train such as the 450 but these are I believe still the only services that have large tables in standard class on South Western Railway. I may be wrong about that of course.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This morning I only made the train to Surbtion because it was late. A. Incoming train was a minute late which delayed my train. The guard kindly explained the reason for the delay.

How wee my train was 2 minutes late departing and it lost more time into Woking as well. I can only assume other trains were in the way at Woking Junction, as one would hope it might make up some of the time from Guildford, even if just 1 or 2 minutes by the time it departs Woking.

The incoming train came from Waterloo via Epsom and was heading into platform 1. Our train was going to Waterloo via Woking and departing from platform 2.

The train use to depart from platform 3 but since May it's been platform 2 and I can only assume wouldn't have been delayed if it still did go from platform 3. There could be some conflict immediately north of platform 2 affecting both the Portsmouth Direct lines and Guildford New Lines I've not looked at it more closely.

This evening there was more disruption. It was reported on line as obstructions on the track, trespassers and congestion. Both fast and slow lines were affected too. I decided I'd walk / run to the station. I didn't need to run all the way. I arrived 8 minutes before the trains estimated departure.

I decided based on the surrounding delays that I'd pop into Waitrose. I wanted to get a free newspaper.

When buying such a thing, I just need to spend £10, which includes the cost of the newspaper. So I aim to spend that amount of some product I am running low on. I checked the long life alternatives to milk but they weren't discounted today. I thus moved to the cerial. That was discounted.

Once the required number was purchased I collected my newspaper and paid.

Now I had just less than 2 minutes until it was 18:48. As I got towards the down stairs, along came passengers from not one train but two.

Not only was the train to Woking 8 minutes late but the train to Hampton Court was 12 minutes late. At least there are two down platforms that can be used, without causing delays to fast non stopping trains.

The delay on the slow line was helpful as there wouldn't be a stopping train to Woking departing in front of my train. My fast train uses the slow line.

Now I had to use the narrow down only side of the stairs. It's only wide enough for down passengers, hence the restriction. However some people choose to ignore it as they don't like waiting in the queue of people to go up the main part of the stairs. No one was coming up thankfully.

Next I had to try and get through passengers heading sideways to me. It's roughly thee deep and they are coming from two directions. I managed to get on board just before the door bleeps sounded.

Short time later doors closed with a member of staff shouting for people or some person to stand clear of the train.

I now had to make my connection at Woking but decided, based on surrounding train delays it would more than likely be possible.

As I got off my train I saw it was 19:01 and that my connecting train was due in at 19:01. As this screenshot of the online departure board also shows.
Screenshot_20190910-191151_National Rail.jpg
Thankfully it was the same platform today, due to surrounding delays on other trains and the train actually got in at 19:04. Just 2 minutes before we should be in Guildford. Thr train made up lost train and we arrived just 6 minutes late.

So glad I didn't need to travel to Guildford from Haywards Heath this morning. All trains from Gatwick Airport were cancelled due to a broken down train at Wokingham. I wouldn't have made the additional 7:57 Redhill to Guildford and the 8:55 is still delayed according to the online Journey Planner. I'd probably have taken the advice and gone via Clapham Junction though.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This morning I just missed the train I intended to get but at this time of the day, there was one 3 minutes later via Woking so I just got that. They don't always run so close.

This evening I wished to get the 16:46. I decided it would be tight for the train if I ran, although not impossible. Thus I decided to get a bus there was even a bus waiting for me. When the bus got to a point 10 minutes before my train was due to leave, I said to myself, at this point I'd have to run all the way to make the train but by staying in the bus I'll have 6 minutes spare by the time I reach the staion.

Yet many times is it not much slower to walk than get a bus. This is due to waiting times. As I headed to Surbtion station, there was 3 71s due in the next 8 minutes. Now they run every 8 to 12 minutes from memory. This means there just have been some gap at some point and it's the gaps that make walking more attractive.

The other day I was at a bus stop where 10 buses were due in 10 minutes. Sometimes the gaps between buses are 10 minutes. I admit they were different bus stops but the times of day were similar.

Once I got to the station I noticed the 16:41 was 2 minutes late. The 16:38 had left on time so that wasn't the cause.

Look up National Rail Enquiries online departure board I could see the 16:41 departed Claygate 4 minutes late. Thus unless it could make up time it would be 4 minutes late.

Soon the screen updates to 4 minutes. Then a time later it went to Three minutes. Then it said it was due for a very brief moment. Maybe 1 to 2 seconds. At which point it changed to 16:45. Then it went back to due again about half a minute later. That's the life of an automated timing system.

Now the other question I had was, where are the fast trains positioned. If one was due around 16:46 or shortly after, the 16:46 would have to wait to use platform 1.

The other week this happened and the 16:46 got into Clapham Junction 8 minutes late. Of course on that occasion the 16:46 had been due in at 47. Maybe that 1 minute existing delay made all the difference that day.

As a result we got into Clapham Junction a minute early and I made my unofficial connection with ease. I had 5-6 minutes to do so. In contrast the 16:41 left almost 5 minutes late but managed to make up 2-3 minutes of it's delay., This is because there were no trains in front of it. Unless the I her week where the signaller lather a slow train in front of the fast 16:46 one and kept the fast train on the slow line until it seems after Raynes Park.of course to switch it onto a fast line would have delayed trains there.

Today though the train gods favoured me. Had the 16:46 not switched platforms I'd have boarded the 41, given my previous experiences.

Right now though I'm enjoying some declassified first class. I might as well take advantage of the DfTs over specification of first class.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Saturday's 20 minutes in Horsham Park, to kill the 30 minute wait between connecting trains, on Sunday I get to enjoy a 31 minute wait at Redhill.

Again I sauntered out and have a look round. I couldn't imagine Redhill town centre would be as nice as Horsham Park but to my surprise I found Redhill Memorial Park. Whilst not quite as nice as Horsham Park, it beat waiting at the station.

I could have got an all stations rail replacement bus but I didn't leave the station fast enough and besides there were no signs Tring you where it departed from. Maybe that's the job of station staff and as the bus had departed it didn't matter. I was only taking it to kill time. So long was the wait that an all stations stopping bus would still enable me to pick up my train to Crawley at Gatwick Airport!

On Saturday I was traveling from Guildford to Amberley and back. That wasn't slow due to engineering works just regular poor connections. On Sunday it wasGuildford to Crawley. I'm was off to see a film there with family. I wouldn't have gone otherwise. A bus from Gatwick Airport would have sped up my time but I'd have got into Crawley too early. In an ideal world, I'd like a train 45.minutes later, with a suitable connection at Redhill or Gatwick Airport.

The journey to Crawley Station took 1 hour 26 minutes. By car from Guildford Station it would be 52 minutes. So a saving of 34 minutes. So a 39% saving in times. With the train though you don't need to concentrate on your driving.

I had hoped to say a rare event occurred and every train was on time. Alas the 14:53 departed at 15:54. In the working timetable it's due to depart at 14:53½ so was only ½ minute late but that isn't the timetable used for passengers, which is the one I use for fairness. After all at terminus stations the trains often make up 2 minutes delay and I don't have a problem with that

Sunday's journey was down to the fact there was only 1 train an hour from Guildford to Redhill and Gatwick Airport. There is also only one train from Gatwick Airport to Crawley. The other starts from Three Bridges with no connections possible. Not even unofficial ones at Gatwick Airport!

Today I was traveling from Haywards Heath. I was running late and felt I would make the 7:26. So I. Tried a new route of being dropped off in the entrance to the multistory car park. Alas the train was a minute late so I would have made it had I gone to the front of the station. On top of that I hadn't noticed the 7:31 to Cambridge was cancelled. I had checked the times on my app but clearly not looked down far enough.

So 7:37 it was. It departed on time. It departed East Croydon on time. Then as it got to Near Balahm is suddenly experienced delay creep. Twice a slow train overtook us. I hadn't realised it was also running late though. We eventually got into Clapham Junction 6 minute late. No announcement from the OBS, who I'd seen earlier in the journey, so I knew existed.

I then picked up a late running stopping service to Guildford. I had decided I'd get out at Raynes Park as I wanted to visit somewhere on route to Kingston. However I couldn't see any buses listed bar 200. There was nothing on my app to say disruption so I tried the older no longer developed app by the same app company. Sometimes the old app works when the newer one doesn't. However still nothing. I got out to check the departure board at the bus stop. Then I went over to a notice.

It dawned on me. Of course there was a diversion. I'd been on it on Friday night, on route to Tooting Broadway. This was reported online but not on the live departure boards that get fed to the bus apps.

I wonder if Sadiq Khan's price freeze means they can't improve the information online or is it just incompetence and/or internal politicsbthat prevents this. Maybe it's all three.

Anyway I then decided to get the train but missed the next train and had to wait for 13 minutes.

I got into Kingston at 9:02. On a good unoffical connection day I could be at my destination by 8:50.today I still had to walk from Kingston Station to my destination. I also never did stop off at the place I wished to see. Have to do that another day.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This evening I was late and so I had to hope a bus would run at a convient time. Alas it appeared no such luck. So I went to the bus stop ahead incase a bus got caught in traffic and had already left the previous stop.

As I did this a 71 came passed. Perhaps that was stuck at the traffic lights past the bus stop behind me. Not enough traffic around to slow it down, so I couldn't make it to the vus stop in time.

However then came along a K2. Now that clearly can't have been waiting at the yraffic lights. Perhaps a bus got turned short. So I ran to the stop and hopped on board.

Now I would make the 17:39 train. I did so with 3 minutes spare. It would have been impossible if I'd run without getting a bus.

As I waited on the platform in pulled a delayed Hampton Court service. That should leave at 17:35 and previously I'd seen it was a minute late. It actually departed four minutes late. Around this time I also noticed the platform 3 screen say pleaser stand clear fast train approaching.

Now either it waa a false positive to get people to stand back or a fast train was indeed passong through platform 3. My train had been shown to he on time.

Fast non stopping down trains should use rhe down fast and not platform 3. Along came the Exeter train though. As it neared the end of the platform the signal changed from red to yellow. Why it didn't use the fast line today, I had no idea.

It thus cauaed my train to depart 3½ minutes late.

On the positive side. the Alton train didn't pass through the station suggesting some kind of issue with trains using the down fast. There was no disruption announcement or any mention from the guard on the train of any delays, so maybe it was rather recent. Looking it up once I got to Woking, i saw it said there was a safety inspection of the track.

The most importsnt thing to me was thst I made my connection at Woking. We were held up into Woking due to the 17:02 Wateeloo to Guuildford stopper being delayed due to awaiting a member of train crew. It had been a minute late leaving Waterloo and had been 6 minutes late departing West Byfleet. The delay was gradual though and not sudden.

The stopper to Woking, which departs Waterloo at 16:50 and runs 4 ninutes ahead of the stopper to Guildford, after Surbiton, was 9 minutes late departing West Byfleet, oweing to that track safety inspection.

Once i got to Woking I was just about to go to platform 4 when I heard a distant announcement saying the 17:56 to Portsmouth would be departing from platdorm 5. Sure enough it was on the screen.

After a minute or so an announcement was made from platform 5, concerning the train. That was a good use of platform resources by the signaller and I happily made my connecting train. Job done.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The chances of jumping on a train in the morning or evening and it being late are rather high.

This morning the 7:04 arrival from Waterloo into Guildford was 2 minutes early, arriving at 7:02 according to National Rail Enquiries, although Real Time Trains say it was 7:03. In this perticular case I'm inclined to go with NRE.

May turning up at 7:02 the train was on time for staff. However for passengers it was early.

For some reason the 7:03 Guildford to Waterloo departed at 7:04½. So 1½ minutes late. The signal was red until just before the whistle was blown.

The other train was in platform 3 so I'm not sure if that was the reason for the hold up or something else. There was a 7:06 arrival from London Bridge due in to platform 1. The working timetable for this Southern branded service matches the passenger one. This was on time departing Effingham Junction but due to the 7:03 departing late, ended up being 2 minutes late in.

I'm surprised the 7:03 doesn't depart late more often but its average for the last hundred days is ½.the average delay experienced. The incoming arrival at 7:04 is 1 minute. Maybe it is possible that if the 7:04 arrival turns up at 7:02, as it is suspose to in the working timetable, then it delays the 7:03 departure.

Of course there is the 7:06 arrival to consider. Its average delay is 4 minutes. Only 21% of the time does it arrive into Guildford on time. Most of its delay may be caused north of Effingham Junction on it's way down to Guildford.

Interesting there is another safety inspection between Surbtion and Wimbledon and some lines are blocked. This is at Raynes Park. So probably a different location to yesterday. Unlike yesterday's one, trains to and from Exeter are starting at Basingstoke. Some other services are also terminating short of Waterloo. Here's hoping it's not the delayed 7:03. I was surprised that the train departed Effingham Junction on time but then it does depart at 7:21. The 7:35 departs there at 7:52, so they allow 1 minute less. This is probably because thwy don't feel it's needed. However the 7:46 Effingham Junction to Waterloo can delay it, so maybe it would be a good idea.

Interestingly the 7:12 to London Bridge departed a minute late which caused the 7:16 to Waterloo via Cobham to also depart a minute late. Was this all due to the 7:04 arriving in 2 minutes early?

The 7:03 surprisingly arrived into Surbtion on time. Even more surprising is that its actual average for the last hundred days is right time. It did this 89% of the time.

The reason why the 7:03 is Right Time is that there is now 7:38 train service from Surbtion. The nearest train is the 7:36. 2 minutes makes all the difference. Today it is running with a 9 minute delay. It departed Woking 10 minutes late but they didn't remove any stops.

However as soon as you out in Wimbledon it drops to a 12% right time arrival with a 2½ minute average delay. Its delay into the stop before, New Malden, is only ½ a minute though. Today I am expecting it to be longer as we have stopped outside New Malden station.

There were reports of smoke in this area we are being held at a red signal. I assume the smoke was coming out of the tracks or beside them.

Thus I decided to alight at New Malden and catch a bus.

Looking on my bus app there was an X26 due in 9 minutes and a 213 due in 7. Thus I decided to go to the bus stop of the X26. It is a 8 minute walk at least and I saw no reason to run. After 5 minutes I saw the X26 was due in 7 minutes. Once I got to the bus stop I saw the X26 was due in 7 minutes. Wow that was a long 2 minutes! Haha

If there is anything less reliable than trains then it's buses. The 213 was now due in 4 minutes.

Interestingly the X26 made some progress and was now due in 2 minutes behind the 213. Would it overtake the 213?

In fact the X26 was due to depart at x7 and so it might actually only depart slightly late. This means the live estimates are useless as they don't take into account the actual timetable and fact buses may need to wait to depart right time.

I boarded the 213 as I'd be surprised if the X26 overtook this bus. This is probably running late. 213 goes closer to my destination.

Had the train been on time, I would have been at my destination at 8:25. This will add 10-15 minutes on top.

Interestingly we are due to arrive at my destination before the express X26.

As for the 7:03, that departed Wimbledon 17 minutes late. So it made sense to alight sooner than planed.

My original idea had been to travel via Clapham Junction. Had I done so, I'd have been 18 minutes late into Clapham Junction. This would have messed up my connections and I'd have been more late than I current am. It was fortunate I wasn't ready to catch that train.

Interestingly for the track inspection incident, they decided to link to Twitter #raynespark rather than link directly to the disruption notice. Not seen this happen before.

Also rather interestingly. When we got to North Cheam, the X26 was now ahead of us.

Given the walk required from the X26 bus stop, I think the 213 should still be faster option overall.

Update: on route the destination of my 213 changed. No idea what to but it wouldn't be where I'd want to go. The X26 was ahead and in front of it was a 151. As we neared Tilehurst Road it was getting close to 8:35. So much for the bus estimate. I know that the Internet of Things may be used to better know traffic flow and jams and if that was fed back into the bus predictions, they might be a more accurate when delays are due to traffic.

I then over heard a child say to their mum, why don't we run to the next bus stop. I had no idea where it was but it was up hill. I took his advice and ran. The next bus stop was fairly close and as I got there the X26 was now ahead of the 151. Not that I could board it, as it doesn't stop here.

The bus apps were predicting the 213 would arrive into Cheam Broadway first but I knew better. However it arrived before the 151 had left and passengers were able to transfer. Thus I could have stayed on the bus. I had absolutely no way of knowing this. If the 151 got through a set of traffic lights before the 213 did, the whole situation may have been different.

Still I was able to photograph a GR lettered postbox on route to the next bus stop. Yes I didn't know where it was but I would never pass up an opportunity to photograph something like this. No idea when I'd next be back.

So I shall be at my destination around 8:50. 15 minutes after the estimate and 25 minutes after the train. Had I gone to Wimbledon, got the next train 30 minutes layer, I would have reached this destination at rough the same time, so poor was the bus journey today. In fact there was an 8:15 trajn I'd forgotten about so I could have arrived in earlier! Of course another week the bus wouldn't be so rubbish. Of course there is no 8:45 service so this advice doesn't apply if I had left 30 minutes later.

Needless to say TfL will both be reporting delays and a good service on the service disruption page, thus covering both possibilities for every service. It's then up to you to decide which is the cause at anyone time.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Tonight the 18:18 Waterloo to Haslemere was late departing owing to late arrival from the depot.

I looked up the arrival. It was into platform 16 and the train was 11m late into Waterloo. According to real time trains it ledt Clapham Yard 14 minutes early but was then 6 minutes late at the next timing point listed, West London Jn. It then lost time through out.

It departed Waterloo 5 minutes late and after the 18:20 to Castle Cary & Exeter St Davids. I decided to board this train but seen some free seats towards the front. I had no idea if I'd get to sit down.

However I find these seats more comfortable and I might get a table. Sure enough there were people standing in the vestibule areas but seats did exist, including asle seats at tables. Mutiple too.

Eventually the guard apologised for those having to stand. I was left thinking, tell them there are seats towards the front.

The train departed Clapham Junction 2 minutes late. As we neared Woking we slowed down and stopped. There was a 18:41 stopper arrival into platform 3 but this was showing as arrived. I could see why no other train should hold us up. Yet hwre we were stopped. Eventually we moved forward and arrived into Woking some 5 minutes late.

We had been due in at 18:47. The Haslemere train had been due in at 18:49. Thus I quickly shifted myself to platform 5. As I arrived on the platform I heard an automated announcement saying the train to Haslemere would depart from platform 4. Bad I went but not so fast as the Exeter train hadn't even left by the time I was back on platform 4.

Soon a late running stopping train to Farnham arrived onto platform 5.

Eventually the Haslemere train left Woking some 11 minutes late. It lost a further 6 minutes outside Woking.

It must be added to that the 18:30 Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour left Waterloo on time and was predicted to me in Woking on time at the point the 18:44 was running 5 minutes late. It actually departed Woking 8 minutes late!

The Basingstoke train, 18:23 from Waterloo was expected to be 3 minutes late but was 6 minutes. It had departed Surbtion 4 minutes late.

The Alton train, which departs Waterloo at 18:25, was predicted to be 2 minutes late and was 11 minutes late.

One on the delayed 18:44, I decided the vestibule was a bit crowded so I took the remaining middle seat that I could see.

Someone had to move out of the way so I could get down the asile to it. They just moved further along the asile rather than into the seat.

I know people aren't keen on middle seats but I think to help clear more space for others in the visuable I was doing them a useful service. I had multiple bags with me too but even with them it's possible to sit down.

In terms of the congestion, I'm not sure how a flyover would help here. The fact of the matter was that there were too many down trains expected to arrive at about near enough the same time. With only two down platforms, as well as the bay, there just isn't the room. I guess if a down slow didn't need to cross the down fast that might help but would the intention be to have platform 3 with a flyover to it.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Today at 8:33 the 8:34 arrival from Waterloo into Guildford was predicted to be 2 minutes late into platform 2. Fine it won't affect the 8:34 departure form platform 1 to Waterloo I thought. The signaller will let us go and hold the other train back if needs be, as we have to cross paths so to speak. Alas it did surprisingly make up the predicted 2 minutes delay and thus arrived at 8:34. By arriving on time for passengers it caused the 8:34 departure to depart a minute late at 8:35.

To give credit to South Western Railway, the average arrival time for the last hundred days into London Road (Guildford), for the 8:34, is right time.

On average for the last hundred days the 8:34 arrival is ½ minute late thoufh. I'm surprised the train arriving at 8:34½ is late enough to allow the 8:34 departure to leave and cross in front.

Todsy the 8:34 departure was 2 minutes late leaving London Road, which is what I'd expect, given it was a minute late leaving Guildford.

My next task is to post something on route to my destination and hope there isn't a bus cancelled. As the bus I'll be catching runs every 15 minutes I'd rather not experience that.

The train shouldn't be too delayed and I should have time to do my posting and get the bus, if it runs to the timetable.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Last night I was running late as I lost track of time. There was a bus due and one due in 1 minute so I rushed to the bus stop only to find both buses were no where to be seen. Sometimes a bus 1 minute away is still there.

The next 71 bus was due in about 5 minutes so I waited. Eventually a 418 turned up. This was not listed in the app I use and the bus stop has no live departure board. Now the 71 was due in 4 minutes, so 4 minutes after the earlier estimate.

So I decided to chance things and board the 418 bus and leg it at the other end. This doesn't stop at Surbtion station. I wondered if the train I wished to catch would be stopping additionally at Esher, however I didn't check this, just which was the best bus stop alight from to get the quickest route to Surbtion station.

I ran all the way to the station to find the train was indeed stopping at Esher, so I had an extra 4 minutes. On route I saw the stopping service, which usually departs at 16:41 depart but its not unusual for that to depart late.

Interestingly the train I got usually departs at 1646 but when it a stoos at Esher it changes to 16:50. So 4 minutes later. However the 16:38, another fast service that also stood at Esher, is only allowed 2 additional minutes, departing 16:40.

It's amazing that they can fit the extra stop in, what with the other services that run ln the fast and slow lines and the need to ensure trains don't run late.

We were actually timetabled to depart from platform 2 but the signaller rerouted us to platform 1, the usual platform used by the 16:46.

Despite this we only arrived into Clapham Junction 2 minutes later than usual. In fact we were 45 seconds early.

The in between service from Surbtion, the 16:41 departed at 16:43. This means it had a greater chance of arriving into Surbtion on time. However its average delay is still 1 minute.

Once I got to Clapham Junction I didn't hang around, although I forgot to be close to the stairs, so this meant joining others more slowly uo the stairs

Still I got to the platform with over a minute spare before the doors could close. Today the train arrived with 30 seconds of when the doors might close, so that added 30 time additional time and then they had to help someone onto the train, which they very much should do. This just meant the train departed a minute late. This train is fairly reliable from Clapham Junction so I wouldn't like to rely on it departing late though. On average it arrives just ½ minute late.

I then carried on my journey. Eventually I slowed down towards Haywards Heath due to some delay creep and arrived 3 minutes late.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This morning at 6:49 I could see that every train from Haywards Heath Station was on time bar 3 and they were running with very minor delays.

So when I got to the station and saw a train had arrived on the subway departure board, I rushed up the stairs. Once at the top a train was just about to pull in. But what should pull in? Only the 7:19 running 8 minutes late. This was due to an earlier signal failure. So between 6:49 and 7:19 a signal failure had occurred and been fixed. The 7:26 was also delayed so maybe the signal failure was around the Wivelsfield to Haywards Heath area. The 6:54 to Brighton departed Haywards Heath 5 minutes late, having arrived in 2 minutes early.

The 7:14 Gatwick Express was 4 minutes late but everything else was on time. The 7:26 arrived into Haywards Heath 10 minutes late. That actually wasn't delayed due to the signalling fault as it had already been delayed by defective track between Polegate and Berwick.

Interestingly the train service to Cambridge, 7:31 only arrived a minute late at 7:28.

That is an interesting service. It is timetables to arrive at 7:27 and depart at 7:31. It is a class 700 so boarding is faster. The 7:19 and 7:26 services only allow less than a minute for boarding but they are not class 700 services so boarding is slower.

On class type alone, you wouldn't allow more time to a class 700 than other rolling stock types. It would be the other way round. The train needs to wait to allow a Gatwick Express train pass through Haywards Heath Station.

We departed Gatwick Airport at 7:45, the 7:26 departs 7:41. The additional 4 minutes accounts for the fact the 7:19 departed 7:27 and stopped at two additional stations compared to the 7:26.

We managed to delay the Gatwick Express and that thus caused delays to the 7:31. The 7:26 was probably already delayed enough not to be delayed by either of those though.

I got an X26, which was delayed by about 2 minutes owing to some foreigners having cards that didn't work the contactless readers. This thus causes our bus to arrive into Wallington Green just after a 407 had departed. No idea is that was on time. Given the close proximity to Carshalton High Street our express bus couldn't overtake it. As we headed to Sutton it didn't mange it then either, even though we stop at less bus stops. However at one point it felt like our bus driver made an unofficial stop. Perhaps they were being kind to someone.

We got into Sutton 7 minutes late according to Google Maps and I walked to my destination.

I don't made this journey regularly all the time but it will be interesting to see over time of the Wallington Green or Carshalton High Street bus stops regularly allow a swift change from the X26 to 407.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Interesting signalling decision this evening. Nothing bad but unusual.

The 18:48 to Farnham departed platform 5,2 minutes late. The 18:53 to Alton was 1 minute late departing from platform 4.

The 18:54 Woking to Basingstoke was running 2 minutes late. It usually departs from platform 5 but this evening it was pathed into platform 4.

Now maybe it was felt this was a good idea as it won't delay the 18:58 to Portsmouth that also uses platform 5. However that was running 2 minutes late so there was a 4 minute gap between the services.

Longer than the gap between the 18:53vto Alton and 18:54 to Basingstoke.

I was very glad to have been on the 18:54 as sadly a passenger was taken ill, lessing to delays for the other trains I would have caught from Surbtion.

I was actually lucky to get to Surbtion. I got held up and when I headed to the bus stop, 2 buses were due in 1 minute, with 1 currently due. When I got towards the road of the bus stop I saw one of the 2 buses turn into the road and the other slightly further back. I made the third bus. It departed 2 minutes after the estimate when I had checked.

If that hadn't occurred I wouldn't have made the train. It also helped that there were buses in front to hover up some of the passengers and longer gaps between services can slow one down.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This evening there is a fault with the information system meaning some trains are incorrectly showing as delayed.

Not the case with the Hampton Court and Basingstoke services. Those genuinely were delayed and 10 minutes for the Basingstoke one.

Reason might be a signalling issue or track failure / inspection as a non stopping fast service came from the station in advance.

No announcements for why the train was delayed. The delay creep kept going up.

However at least we managed to depart before the delayed Woking stopper. That too seemed to be experiencing delay creep.

I'm sure the reasons will become apparent soon as its affecting enough trains in my opinion to have an announcement. The chances of the guard making not so high.

At least it's a helpful delay, in that if its affecting the fast line through Surbtion, my connecting train is less likely to be able to overtake us at or before Woking. There is an Alton service in between but that hasn't always been enough to stop us being overtaken in the past.

I would have liked to have popped into Waitrose but I felt I didn't have time. Highsight is a wonderful thing.

It was a safety inspection of rhe track. Unfortunately I spoke too soon about the right kind of delay.

Some how the signalman managed to out us on the fast line behind the Alton service at some point. They then transferred the Portsmouth service to the slow line. Perhaps they helped the non stopping Weymouth train through Woking but it didn't help those of us wishing to change.

We went into platform 4. I ran as fast as I could but I got to platform 5 just as the final door was closing and I couldn't get on. I wasn't the only one trying this.

There was shout of the staff to stand back, which I did and the train departed. So I'll be half hour late at least.

As for the guard on the train. No announcement at least stations have automated announcements now.

I usually mew someome for a game of pool but by the time I get to them probably 40 minutes later than usual and I only have an hour before my pilates. These things happen but had I made the train, I would have only been delayed by less than 10 minutes.

Of course the next train to Guildford is the stopping train. Just unfortunately that the problem occurred when it did and it was the type of felt where trains gradually get delayed. Otherwise I could have gone to Waitrose.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Some interesting journeys today or lack of journeys.

This morning I had someone to do and decided to get a bus from outside Watirsoe. It was chucking it down.

I let two K1s go and and did want I needed to do. The next 281 to turn up I couldn't board. Too many people. Then a K3, same issue. Next a 281 2 minutes later. I queued in the rain with others. There was a hold up. I think people weren't moving down the bus. Once that was sorted we couldn't board as the bus was too full.

So as the next bus, a 71 was due n 7 minutes and other also due in 7 minutes just behind. I decided to walk in the monsoon. As I walked it got worse. Eventually I got past the County Hall and a 71 came past. Note the walk to this point must be 18 to 20 minutes.

Once it reached the Kingston collage bus stop, everyone was chucked out into rain due to late running.

I saw lots of buses in the opposite direction and had hoped one might be turned short but doing that would delay someone else in the rain.

This evening I didn't think I'd have time to get one train if I ran but unbeknown to me the train was 8 minutes late. It got held up at a station before Surbtion so another delayed train could go through.

Thus I got a train from Kingston, which was closer.

We got to Raynes Park 2 minutes late. Then we sat there. I hadn't realised there was a train from Chessington on platform 2. The guard and driver had no idea what was going on. Perhaps there was no info.

I had to get to The Royal Albert Hall. We eventually got into Wimbledon 19 minutes late. The note on the online departure board was 15 minute delays between London Waterloo and Clapham Junction. I wasn't travelling down, let alone between Waterloo and Clapham Junction.

Turns out their was a broken down train at Wimbledon. I tweeted and asked if the information could be updated.

So now I had to get the district line. I knew there were server delays but I hoped we'd be OK.

Alas we weren't. We departed West Brompton and got stuck in a tunnel as a train in the platform ahead had no driver.

Looks like I won't get to the concert on time.

If I'd got the Chessington train I might have been OK but I didn't spot it.

Great George Ezra concert. Due to more delays I stopped at my favourite nearby Italian, Pierino. I like other Italian restaurants too in other areas but for that spot, you find one can't go wrong.

I decided I didn't have time for a full meal so just did a starter.

Incidentally the concert ended around 22:15 and I would have been on the tube around 22:30. My choice would be Clapham Junction or Waterloo, with Waterloo offering more trains but potential for longer disruption.

I would make the 21:45, which left 47 minutes late. I would have made the 22:17, which left 17 minutes late. I wouldn't have made the 22:30, which left 1 minute late.

I would however have made the 22:45, which left 55 minutes late.

After my meal I had to locate the station. I got slightly disorientated but I found it. I got to the platform and only had a minute to wait. I decided based on train info to go to Waterloo. I was now aware that there was a problem with the internal systems National Rail Enquiries use and so they couldn't update the app.

Once I got to Westminster I had a 3 minute wait for the train. I got to Waterloo and waited to see what tram would show up. There were quiet a few just saying delayed. I assume they would all run as don't South Western Railway only list trains knwom to be running? Or was that only something South West Railways.

Eventually I noticed one had a platform number. There were announcements but I don't remember this being one of them. As I got onto the platform, I was surprised to hear the whistle go. Either staff changed ends rather quickly or the train was on the board longer than I noticed.

So which train was I on? Only the 22:45. So I managed to fit in a starter and drink and still make the next running fast train to Guildford. Bear in mind I have a hiatus hernia so I cannot eat fast.

This I made the right choice. It was pure luck.

Let's hope tomorrow is kinder to public transport.

The reasons for the long delays this evening were:
  • Disruptive passengers on a train at Hounslow
  • A train fault at Clapham Junction
  • A signallingpproblem at Weybridge
  • A train fault at Wimbledon
  • A train fault at Vauxhall

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I just missed a train this morning due to not working out that my train would depart a couple of minutes late due to a late inbound service. This would form the 8:22 Guildford to Waterloo so I boarded it.

This is now being delayed due to a late fast train. Although we could have departed on time, the signaller or control decided that it should depart first.

The other train was due 8:19 but expected at 8:23. However it left at 8:25.

We need to allow at least 2 minutes so won't depart until 8:27 at the earliest.

We will probably have stops removed as a result the guard has said there are problems at some junction name I couldn't catch. They said if they get more info they will inform us.

The guard has been very proactive today. Makes a pleasant change. In fact we departed 6 minutes late! We stop at no additional stations between Guildford and Woking compared to the mate running 8:19. There must be some overall advantage to running that first though, as why would they wish to make 2 trains late.

So be interesting to see if they allow the Hampton Court to Waterloo service to depart Surbtion first at 8:31. I guess it will depend how further delayed we might be on route. Yesterday evening they held a Hampton Court service at Thames Ditton, so a late running train from Woking could go first. That on time train at Thames Ditton ended up being 8 minutes late. They didn't cancel any stops on it at least. They'd already done that to the preceeding train from Woking.

The 8:19 arrived into Woking 9 minutes late so I imagine we will arrive 8 minutes late, assuming no other train is allowed in front of us or ahead of us on the down slow or fast lines. We both use the same platform at Woking.

There are a couple of fast trains on from Basingstoke or south of, on route to Woking Be interesting to see what they do with them.

They could of course put us in on platform 4 or 5 at the last minute. I think it uikely though as other trains are booked to use those platforms.

We have no left the junction and a train from Portsmouth Harbour via Basingstoke to London Waterloo has been allowed ahead of us.

So we will probably be 10 minutes late. Amazing how we could have departed on time!

I think ill leave it there for now as I go to ask South Western Railway which stops they intend to remove, if any.

In fact I see there is also a train from platform 1, which will be fast. That has just left first so as we need to cross its path, I'm expecting another 2 minute delay.

Apparently there was a further signalling issue at Woking. No idea quite what as I didn't see any other trains being massively delayed, bar the late running 8:19.

No stops removed yet but I'm expecting it. Its possible we will delay the 9:11, of which there are two. A fast and slow. We did at least depart before the 8:47. Being stuck for a while behind that, outside West Byfleet wouldn't have been much fun. It's timetabled to wait at West Byfleet.

The 8:02 Woking to Waterloo has been stuck outside West Byfleet behind the 8:05 Woking to Waterloo, so it does happen.

Sure enough they have cancelled all the stops between Surbiton and Waterloo. Lovdly for customers who wish to get to places like Clapham Junction and Wimbledon.

It looks like we will get in before the 9:11 at least. The guard is either softly spoke and other the other technology isn't working as can hardly hear him. Csnt make out what he is saying. Thus many passengers will not get off or,

I decided I should let the guard and platform staff know this. Bad move. They weren't interested. They said the guard any go through and speak to everyone. I wasn't asking for this. They siad passe hers could double back at Waterloo.

The guard was clearly softly spoken and the technology can't cope with this. I was very polite but annoyed. They did say most would be going to Waterloo. Oh that's already then. Who cares about those going to Wimbledon. I did not notice many get off.

The only reason. I knew there was an issue was because I heard the guard speak and thus spokes it up online. I couldn't make out what he was saying though.

As I said to the member of platform staff before I left, I've made my point.

There was at least an auditable platform announcement but I knwo from getting off a delayed 8:11 Surbtion to Waterloo, just now how people usually alight when stops are removed. That is an earlier train though so maybe different travelling habits

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
This evening I was attempting to cores a road but a bus was across the pedestrian crossing. There was a reflection of the red man on my side of the road on the bus but despite trying to keep an eye on that, I still failed to notice the man turn green and I missed the opportunity to I cross the road. My intention had been to cross in front of the bus.

As the traffic wasn't moving so fast, I decided to pushvmy way out and a lady driver let me cross.

Now I had to decide whether to get the bus and perhaps miss a train or walk. I opted to walk. Not such a good move as I'd have made the train. My next train was late of course by 2 minutes and eventually into Clapham Junction 3 minutes late and my unlikely unlikely connection at Clapham Junction was on time.

No problem there was a train 10 minutes. Alas that train had a delay creep of 4 minutes arriving but departed 5 minutes. If the previous train had that I could have made it.

The train then experienced further delay creep and was 9 minutes late leaving. I assuming another train or set of trains was loeed to run ahead of us at East Croydon.

Sure enough they allowed the 17:47 to run ahead of us.

That is due into Haywards Heath at 18:16. Hopefully we will be allowed into the platform beside it. That is booked into platform 1 Nd so are we. We are due to arrived at 18:15 but that is impossible as we are behind them.

I had such good luck with my trains home last night, by managing to avoid a long wait at Waterloo and spent that time in a restaurant instead that I guess it's only fair I have some problems today.

Alas it seems they aren't being allowed to use platform 2 at Haywards Heath and are being further delayed whilst the train ahead departs. No announcement from the guard I assume the sound system is working.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Today I delayed my travel so I could take one of two known unique journey opportunities.

That was to travel fast from Guildford to Surbtion. Both the 8:22 and 8:46 services were running fast via Cobham. Their usual route is via Woking and in both cases they usually have to wait at Woking junction.

Now these use 455 stock and when 10 cars, 456 as well.

So off we went on time. We were soon getting up to quite some speed. I bet its not often 455s run this fast in passenger service. I was wondering if the driver was enjoying the run.

The journey itself was a tale of two halves and perhaps reflected the spacing between signels.

We were going super fast until we neared Claygate. Outside that station we stopped briefly. Now the 8:07 to Waterloo was running 2 minutes late. National Rail Enquiries live departure board said it had arrived at Hinchley Wood. It was about 8:37.

Soon we were on the move again. However once past Hinchley Wood we stopped again. And after the junction, yet again.

We got into Surbtion just 4 minutes early. Out waiting was so we didn't clash with the 8:48 from Surbtion to Waterloo. That train departed a minute late. With no trains ahead I reckon we could have got to Surbtion by 8:43. So maybe 9 minutes earlier.

I enjoyed the experience. After this I got a bus. It was at the bus stop and I thought I might miss it but people were boarding and I didn't. However even after I boarded it didn't depart. Maybe it was early or maybe it was regularising the service. Anyway it eventually got into Kingston 2 minutes after I felt it should. The traffic wasn't perticularly heavy either.

So end to end it wasn't that much faster than usual.

Update: We got to Hampton Court junction 8½ minutes early at 8:46. It then took another 6 minutes to reach Surbtion. On a normal train they allow 1½ minutes. So it took an extra 4½ minutes to reach Surbtion. In 4½ minutes after leaving Guildford, we were between London Road (Guildford) and Clandon. The start out of Guildford wasn't so fast either, which is to be expected. So it gives an idea of the early speed we got up to.

The 8:46 would have slowed down even sooner as that leaves 6 minutes earlier compared to the journey time of 8:22. The 8:22 caught up with the 8:07.

The 8:46 would catch up with the 8:34. That was also 2 minutes late at Hinchley Wood. So when allowing of the difference gaps between departures of both sets of services, the difference would be 3 minutes of additional time to on the 8:46, so it would have caught the 8:34 sooner.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I thought this mornings issue was in the direction of Woking to Worpolesdon but this evening I read its Worplesdon to Woking, so perhaps I misread it.

There have been multiple other issues today.

One interesting service was the 16:03 Woking to Waterloo. It left 6 minutes late and was 8 minutes late by the train it reached Surbtion.

I think it was held to allow fast trains to depart first just as happened to the 8:22 last week.

However once it reached Surbtion they didn't cancel any stops on route to Waterloo.

They also didn't hold the Hampton Court service bavk at Thames Diton, as happened one evening last week too. So it got into Waterloo 14 minutes late.

It thus left Waterloo 12 minutes late. On it's return working they didn't cancel any stops either and although it wasn't directly behind the train to Hampton Court, it did get stuck behind other trains and depart Surbtion 15 minutes.

Like I said no stops removed. It's hard to say which is better. Cancel stops between Surbtion and Waterloo, so the train has a chance to be on time into Waterloo for it's return Working or don't cancel stops so passengers aren't delayed.

I think I prefer the not cancelling of stops.

I myself boarded the minor delayed 17:39. I was told there would be no alterations to my service so that should mean I'll make the 17:56, beer in mind the 18:16 is cancelled due to a broken down train and the next train from Woking after that isn't until 18:44, assuming it's on time.

However outside Woking we have slowed to a crawl and the guard or driver has made no announcement.

I can't see SWR adding in an additional stop for us.

Perhaps I should have got the direct train to Guildford.

I will of course be asking station staff what I can do under the circumstances.

Actually I won't be asking them as the 17:30 left Waterloo 17 minutes late. So I'll have no problem making the train.

I do feel the guard should be speaking to us by now. I don't have headphones on so it's not as if I'm missing anything.

As long as we aren't here for 17 minutes I should be OK and we are now on the move.

I don't know if Woking to Worpolesdon is bidirectional but I had hoped to travel wrong road if it wasn't. However if the issue was Worpolesdon to Woking line then its a mote point as I'm heading south and not north.

I'm surprised more trains north via Worpolesdon haven't been diverted via Cobham. However some were cancelled due to delays following a broken down train.

I see the delayed 17:46 arrives into Woking on platform 4. It is now sat here blocking a down the 18:12 platform so the 18:02 stopping service could depart to Waterloo and the a fast through train could come through.

I was on platform 4 having crossed over from platform 5. 2 minutes before the 17:56 was due to depart, they changed the platform to 5. What a surprise. I half expected this.

They made plenty of announcements and then a fast non-stop train to Havant zoomed through without warning.

Followed by announcement at the Portsmouth train was just outside the station. It was now 18:12, and the issue with trains being shown estimated to arrive much sooner than they actually do at Woking, during disruption continues. This is due to where the timing points are I think.

At 18:14 still no train. Perhaps it had to wait for the late running train north to depart from platform 4.

Suddenly it was expected at 18:12 again, even though its 18:14. Then it changed to 18:16 and the cancelled train to Guildford was now shown as the main train. This was helpful, not.

By 18:16 still no sign of the train but then in it came. No doubt it will leave 18:18, which is 8 minutes later than estimated when I changed platforms. It actually left 18:17.

Surprisingly the train wasn't too busy and they hadn't removed any stops either.

My attention now turned to the late running 17:27 to Guildford. Perhaps I should have got that. But it has no loos and I decided to go this way.

I actually didn't use the loo, as it turned out. However it also turned out the 17:28 got held up at Cobham due to a passenger being ill. I do hope they are not to ill and get treatment.

Thus had I gone rhat way I'd still be at Cobham there were most definitely aren't any loos due to the ticket office being closed at this time of day.

So in a round about way I made the right call but I didn't know this.

The problem should be fixed this evening and trains will return to normal very a Woking tomorrow, save any stock out of place due to todays mutiple disruptions.

Once all trains have loos, it may influence be decision as to which train to board.

It was interesting to note that as we neared Guildford we slowed to a crawl before picking up pace again. This was due to a lack of platforms as there was alatw running train to Gatwick using platform 4.

Thus the train arrived 23 minutes late the guard did at keats update passengers as we leer Woking

The time we arrived actually reflected the time the 17:32 Waterloo to Guildford would arrive. That always seems to be a slow arrival into Guildford.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Second time in one week that the stopping train I'm on is being held so a faster service can depart first. I wonder if they will cancel stops on this service as a result. Yes they did. Surprise surprise. I'm surprised when they don't to be honest. Yesterday they didn't though and in fact today they let a stopping train from Haslemere go ahead of a fast train. So it's never clear cut and the staff will see things like your or I don't and that National Rail Enquiries love departure Broad estimates don't!

The train in question is the 7:58, which departed 5 minutes late. The train we were waiting for was the delayed 7:54, which departed 7 minutes late due to. signalling fault towards Guildford. Not sure where the signalling fault was but trains seemed to lose time after Petersfield. The guard did at least keep us informed. It was easier to hear him prior to the train departing but what this shows was that he's a good guard and updated us twice. Not all guards do that.

We blocked the platform for the 8:02 incoming train from Waterloo whilst we were waiting. That's an interesting train is that it doesn't have a different arrival time in the working timetable to the passenger timetable. A lot of the trains via the Guildford New Line do.

That was 2 minutes late at London Road (Guildford) but arrived 5 minutes late into Guildford. That caused the 8:07 to then depart ½ minute late. We may not be far enough ahead not to delay that train as we only departed 2¾ minutes ahead of it.

I had planned to get the 7:35 this morning but just missed that one. The 7:45 to Woking wouldn't have got me to Woking on time.

There was a late running 7:28 which was terminating at Woking. That was due in at 7:46 and would work. However unlike our 7:58 which they held, for that train they didn't hold the 7:12 Haslemere to Waterloo stopping service and it got stuck behind it. Thus it went from being 16 minutes late to 24 minutes late. They had already decided to terminate it early at Woking.

It's worth noting that these delays of up to 20 minutes, as announced at the statuonare not being reported on the live departure board for Guildford. Actually they now have hut its not linked to a service disruption page at all.

The train lost further time into Woking, arriving some 27 minutes late. Thus it missed the 8:02. The late running 7:12 from Haslemere would have connected with the 8:02 but it doesn't stop at Woking.

There was another interesting service I didn't catch today. The 7:16. It departed ů minutes late and had all it's stops between Cobham and Hinchley Wood inclusive, removed. The reason given for the delay was a late train from the depo. So I tracked the train back. The service to form the train was 14 minutes late. It had been 17 late at London Road (Guildford). It was only 6 minutes late leaving Waterlo,bso lost time on route.

The stock to form that service was indeed from the depot but it departed and arrived into Waterloo on time. So maybe it was another set of rolling stock that was late from the depot which affected it or maybe the delay reason was incorrect.

As for the train I'm on, it lost further time at Effingham Junction, as it had to wait from a train from Cobham to arrive before we could cross the flat junction. It was the 8:15, running with an 8 minute delay.

By now we had arrived with a 6 minute delay and the 8:07 behind us had a 4 minute delay already. We actually only departed Effingham Junction 7 minutes late but was 8 minutes late departing Bookham.

They have now announced the stations they have cancelled. Its those in between Epsom and Raynes Park. At least other services exist. All because they wanted the fast train to go via the Guildford New Line first.

One thing they won't be doing is czncong stops on the 8:07, as beyond Hinchley Wood it only stops at Waterloo.

I won't miss my connecting train, just means I'll have less hanging around on the platform.

That should be a nicer journey as the rolling stock is newer and it has some first class that is declassified.

I must admit I love using the lifts at Epsom. Not because I like the lifts but because to wgt to then you have to go beyond the platform itself so you get to see the station from a different perspective. Not something you can do at many stations.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I had thought about travelling on the 7:12 Guildford to London Bridge services this morning, to get some declassified first class travel in. However I felt I wouldn't make I. So just get a later train.

However the train that forms this service was 4 minutes late and I might have done.

It appeared it may have been delayed behind a late running stopping service to Guildford via Cobham. That was 4 minutes late into London Road (Guildford) and 2 minutes late into Guildford, arriving 7:06. The train that forms the London Bridge service is only due in 2 minutes behind the previous one.

However to be fair, that is for passengers. The 7:04 arrival is in the working timetable as 7:02.

This meant the 7:12 departed at 7:16, so I just missed it.

I just jumped on the 7:16 instead. The rolling stock my not be as nice but it gets me to my destination.

This was obviously going to leave late and on top of that it had to wait for a Waterloo to Guildford via Woking train to arrive into platform 2. That is due in at 7:19 but today arrived 7:18½. I wonder if having another platform at Guildford would reduce these conflicting moves during peak rush hour.

With only a 3 minute delay it was t fault that stops needed to be remove. We did actually depart London Road(Guildford), 5 minutes Kate but as the London Bridge service ran fast to Effingham Junction after that, it wouldn't trouble us in theory! We thus could make up 1 minute of time. There is also no train running that closely ahead of us at Surbtion, so further time should be add up between Hinchley Wood and Surbtion. This assumes more time won't be lost.

I'm actually changing trains at Surbtion and I see the 7:32 left Woking 2 minutes late and West Byfleet, 3 minutes late. Thus I expect the 8:01 from Surbtion to Waterloo to also run late. Assuming other stopping services aren't already late, I assume this will delay them.

I'm at Claygate and people are now standing on the train. I am in the middle. I thought people didn't stand on this train, except from Surbtion. I would have thought this one would be 10 carraiages but perhaps it isn't. It is 10 carriages. Just so many We were now back to being 5 minutes late again.

Next Sunday is the start of the leaf fall timetable, starting this year on 6 October rather than 7. I wonder if the leaves ever cause issues before this. The 7:16, along with the 7:03, are some of the trains that don't get modified. The 7:03, already leaves early to get out of the way of other trains though. The 7:16 csnt leave any earlier owing to the 7:12 being in the way. I wonder if that causes much impact on the mainline north of Surbiton or is their enough time between trains for it to make up lost time and/or not delay the train behind.

Well the train made up up 2 minutes of lost time when departing from Surbtion and left at 7:56. The 7:57 departed 3 minutes late, making up a minute of lost time.

The 8:01 departed 3 minutes late, having lost 3 minutes of time. On the platform I bumped into someone I'd not seen for sometime, which was nice. Had I got the 7:12, I'd not have seen them as I'd have been at a different part of the platform at Surbtion. Just before we started chatting I noticed not everyone could get on the 7:53. The station staff had to ask people to stand away from the train. I'm sure that must not help with keeping trains running on time. I wonder if any politicians ever travel on these trains. I know some politicians do get their hands dirty to see what it is like in certain public sectors.

Whilst on the delayed 8:01, my friend said this was the best train to catch if you wish to get some money back, akaclaim delay repay.

As we neared New Malden I needed to figure out do I get a bus from here or get a train from Wimbledon. I had no 02 mobile data reception and I hadn't signed up to the WiFi. No time for that.

Then sudde my it sprang into life and I could see a bus due in 2. I might not make that so perhaps I'll go to Wimbledon. People were now boarding the train.

I suddenly noticed the next 8:25 was cancelled. I'd been aware of disruption markers against some stations but I'd not taken a closer look. Still it was enough to make me check now.

Everyone had boarded the train now so I said goodbye, without facing my friend as no time and I made my quick exit.

Asi passed through the train doors the door bleeps sounded. That was a close call. I headed off to the bus stop at a reasonable pace and found the bus hadn't arrived yet that wasn't entirely surprising

Within a minute or so I boarded the bus I checked the 8:25 from Wimbledon to Sutton. It was cancelled due to damage to the overhead electric wires. There was actually an 8:25 also running but that 8:25 was delayed due to congestion. Its 8:29 at time of writing and that train should have left London Blackfriars at 7:51 and hadn't done so. That's a lot of bad congestion to be 38 minutes late!

As for the buses. There was an X26, estimated to depart the new Fountain roundabout in New Malden at 8:28 but as ever by the time I got on the 213, it was estimated to be 8:27. The bus soo I sue or TfL themsleves can't seem to estimate buses that have to wait at bus stops to depart at set times.

Right now there is a 151 in front but with traffic we just seem to get behind it but never overtake. It's now 3 cars ahead of us.

We have njsy actually managed to overtake it. Which is good as if my bus is running late and they terminate it early, I can get on that bus. I reckon as rhat bus starts from Worcester Park and my bus terminates in Sutton, we have a greater chance of being terminated early.

I nos see the 7:51 from London Blackfaires has been cancelled. Clearly the congestion was just too great for it.

However they have reinstated the 8:55, which is running with a 12 minute delay. Now I need to be somewhere by 9am, so I wouldn't fancy the 8:55 running with a 12 minute delay.

As it transpires, we are running 3 minutes behind another 213. So maybe we are on time and they are late. They haven't teemined either bus early though.

I will reach my destination befoee the 8:55 from Wimbledon was even due to leave. Even before the 8:25 would have arrived. However if the traffic had been as bad as last week, my journey wouldn't have been as good by bus.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I would start a thread on this evenings travel but it's been discussed before.

That is people standing in aisles and vestibules when seats exist elsewhere in the train.

The train in question is the 17:27 Victoira to Littlehampton. I boarded it at East Croydon. It left Clapham Junction on time but was three minutes late. I don't know which is the best carriage to board so I just choose one near the main exit so close to the front of the train.

Onxe I got on board I didn't see any seats so with a large rucksack plastic bag and a couple of other minor things, I set about walking through the train and having to squeeze past people in aisles.

After going into the next carriage and through that and another, I then started to find the odd seat. Fourth carriage along, plenty of seats include aisle seats with more leg room too!

I even think if everyone standing took a seat, I might still find one!

I wonder how many were annoyed about me going past with my rucksack. I shall never know as I can't read stubble body language. I did say to one there would be more seats further back.

At this stage I didn't know if the would be as what is the train was short formed and that wasn't announced. It wasn't shirtformed as it so happens.

I will no doubt incur further minot delay creep to this service but it's really nice to have a seat.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This morning the 7:58 Guildford to Waterloo via Epsom left 2 minutes late owing to a fault on the 7:28 Guildford to Waterloo fast service. That train hadn't even arrived and was being terminated at Guildford. It's train fault was in Havant but it shows the knock on effect a train fault 47 minutes away from Guildford can have on trains starting at Guildford.

We departed 2 minutes late, which was much better than last Tuesday. Another day when we were delayed by issues South of Guildford. Fortunately the 8:7 arrival from Waterloo, whose platform we were occupying last week, when it was the 8:04 arrival, was running late. It is now an 8:07 arrival due to the leaf fall timetable. What's interesting is that the WTT hasn't changed so they are still expecting staff to try and get the train into Guilford by 8:02. Surely if the it's leaf fall season, that's not going to be easy, if not impossible.

Today the train was 4 minutes late by the time it reached London Road and 5 minutes late for staff into Guildford but on time for passengers. Last Tuesday it was 2 minutes late from London and Road and 5 minutes late into Guildford for staff and 3 minutes late for passengers. Like I said that was due to disruption south of Guildford. They could have done with the leaf fall timetable last week!

Trains departing north are given additional time in both the WTT and PTT, as the additional time is at the start of the journey rather than the end. The leaf fall issue seems to be greatest between Effingham Junction and Hinchley Wood inclusive. As the x28 and x58 services via Epsom are not started earlier from Guildford.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Earlier today I had a knock on the toilet door. You smoking in there? No I replied, not liking being accused or something I'm not doing..I opened the door. The alarm had gone off and they had to reset it. I have no idea why it went off though. I wasn't even using a deodorant which was their other possible suggestion.

The other alternative I guess is someone was prior to me boarding. I can't say I smelt anything when I entered. The train had terminated at Epsom on a pervious service prior to my boarding and it caused the train to depart a minute late from Epsom but it reached Sutton on time at least

I used a declassified first class section. It had the window and other lables but no head covers. Good job it wasn't running in first class. It's the rolling stock with no diving doors for first class. Last week when I was on this train, they used more modern rolling stock with dividing doors. Mind you that had head covers. Still declassified of course.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Tonight I attended the Rick Parfitt memorial gig featuring State of Quo and Rhino's Revenge. Rhino is the bass player in Status Quo. This was in Putney.

Really good concert and it overran by 25 minutes, finishing at 23:40. According to the National Rail Enquiries App the last train from Clapham Junction to Guildford was the 0:20. The last train from Putney was the 23:59.

Now apart from Sunday nights that is the last train to Guildford, except during engineering works.

Now i wondered if their was engineering works but I didn't check any further. I had hoped to grab a set list, poster and get some autographs after the gig but I was in danger of missing my last train and I didn't wish to have a taxi from Woking.

However when I got to Clapham Junction I noticed the 1:05 from Waterloo was stopping at Guildford. I could have done with this some weeks ago when I went to a gig in Folkstone. Would have saved me £18 taxi fare.

So in hindsight I could have stayed and got a bus to Clapham.

The train I'm on now has no loos either but thankfully Putney Station accessibility loo wasn't locked

I should write out a 100 times I must not trust the national rail enquiries App to give accurate information. I must always check myself.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I noticed something interesting today. Well interesting if like me you like railway timetabling.

The 4:31 Reading to Gatwick Airport service departs Guildford at 5:10 and Redhill at 5:41. It arrives into Gatwick Airport at 5:51.

The 5:32 Reading to Gatwick Airport service departs Guildford at 6:08 and Redhill at 5:42. It arrives into Gatwick Airport at 5:51.

So despite departing departing Reading 1 minute later, the 5:31 departs 2 minutes earlier from Guildford. However then, it departs Redhill 1 minute later and gets into Gatwick Airport 5 minutes later!

It is following a stopping service from Redhill to Gatwick Airport. Shame it wasn't possible to path the stopping service behind it. No idea why it needs to leave Guildford two minutes earlier and can depart Reading a minute later.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Interesting travel today. I knew the 8:02 Gatwick Airport to Reading was liking to have its Gatwick Airport stop removed, due to signalling issues in the Wokingham area. Sure enough I was right.

I boarded the 7:41 from Haywards Heath to Three Bridges, as I csnt claim delay repay if I board the 7:37, as that doesn't stop at Three Bridges and there is a minimum connection time of 10 minutes at Gatwick Airport.

I was still hopeful of making the now 8:14 Redhill to Guildford but it would require the 7:54 Three Bridges to Redhill not to be delayed. That was delayed leaving Three Bridges by 3 minutes. The issue now might be where would they stick our train and if it went to a different platform, would I make the other one in time. Or would be get held up outside Redhill do my connecting train could leave.

In the end I needn't have taken any intrwt I that, since as to neares Earlswood, slowly, the announced we'd be skipping Redhill due to a signalling issue (t'was a points failure).

Thus we were oathed onto the quarry line, once again he sigballer found a suitable break in the trains for us to do so.

The 8:14 actually left Redhill just 2 minutes late. Now I was definitely due some delay repay I think it maybe Thameslink that owe but as they are just another brand of GTR, I'm sure I can just submit my claim via the Southern Web Site.

So I now decided to go via East Cre, rather than head back.

As to went along the Quarry line, we slowed down at one point. To my surprise the class 700 train announced we were approaching Coulsdon South. We weren't but I was surprised it felt we were. How it worked it out I don't know.

Onxe at East Croydon I took a few photos and then noticed a late running 8:24 to Clapham Junction. Would I make it if I didn't I'd surely missed the 8:52 Clapham Junction to Guildford. Thus an hours delay repay due.

However I favoured getting home so I moved reasonably fast and made the train. It however when waited until a Gatwick Express overtook it. The OBS or driver apologised and siad as we were out of sequence we were probably waiting to leave.

This train came from Bogner Regus and was delayed due to signalling problems down that way so had stops removed. It was 5 minutes late leaving Gatwick Airport but 15 minutes late leaving East Croydon. It would have been further delayed by the train is been on previously.

So off we went. We slowed down every so often and pulled into Clapham Junction at the point the 8:52 should depart. I saw a train leaving but I felt it might be non-stopping train to Basingstoke. I had some confidence of making my train here as around thus time the trains to Haslemere are often late.

Sure enough by moving at a medium pace, where possible, I made the delayed 8:52. This was further delayed into Woking. It was due to congestion causes by signalling issues elsewhere on the network. I assume that was the Reading to Wokingham signalling issues.

If I'd gone more slowly to the platform, I could have missed the train and claimed for an hours delay. However I valued getting back faster than waiting another 30 minutes at Clapham Junction.

If I'd gone back down to Redhill from Purley, I'd still be waiting for a train from Redhill to Guildford at 10:06!

Status
Not open for further replies.