• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Information for GTR Southern passengers during strike (no DOO discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thameslink branded service do 'terminate' at Sutton before restarting, it is the southern branded services which 'terminate' at Wimbledon:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...5/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=SN
That's what I thought so as Deep green said why the 0 minutes for change between Thameslink services at Wimbledon?

Edit: I see others have suggested answers to this.

My take is, it is a left over from when FCC ran Thameslink and no one thought to change or want to change it.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
That's what I thought so as Deep green said why the 0 minutes for change between Thameslink services at Wimbledon?

Edit: I see others have suggested answers to this.

My take is, it is a left over from when FCC ran Thameslink and no one thought to change or want to change it.

Actually, the other way round - what I meant was; why the five minute change between Southern and Southern, or Southern and Thameslink, when they are identical to Thameslink to Thameslink and should all be 0 minutes?

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
RMT said:
RAIL UNION RMT confirmed today that guards and drivers on Southern Rail will strike again on the 22nd February in the on-going disputes over the safety impact of the extension of Driver Only Operation and the removal of guards from services.
Members will strike for 24 hours between 0001 hours and 2359 hours on Wednesday 22nd February 2017.
RMT press release

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have now received via BACS the month's season ticket refund on my paper annual season from last year.

My partner, who switched from a Southern-issued paper annual season to an TfL-issued annual travelcard on Oyster during the dispute last year, hasn't been contacted at all yet about the month refund.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
I have now received via BACS the month's season ticket refund on my paper annual season from last year.

My partner, who switched from a Southern-issued paper annual season to an TfL-issued annual travelcard on Oyster during the dispute last year, hasn't been contacted at all yet about the month refund.

I have yet to be contacted as well.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I've yet to hear about the refund, also.

My season ticket was on Key, and they know my payment card details (KeyGo on the same card), so this cash-conserving foot-dragging on GTR's part is irritating.

74A

Have they contacted Southern directly. As there season ticket is not issued by Southern I would think it unlikely they will contact them.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
The form enabling people that havent been contacted to apply goes live next week, on 22nd. Well thats what I have been told by Southern. They dont have my details apparently despite the fact by ticket was on the Key and and I have numerous delay repay claims.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The latest piece of genius from Southern - a rejected 'Delay Repay' claim, which refutes itself in its own text (my bold text)! Not only was the first train 32 late, but it missed the hourly connection at Redhill - even their DR system is unreliable.

Journey Details
14 February 2017
London Blackfriars to Betchworth at 16:38
Decision: Declined
Having checked our records for the details of the delay you provided to us, our systems show that the delay was 3 minutes, which is below the minimum threshold for which you are entitled to Delay Repay compensation. We used the following information to calculate your delay: The intended leg from 16:38 LONDON BLACKFRIARS left 1 minute early, scheduled to arrive at REDHILL at 17:17, arrived 32 minutes late. The intended leg from 17:43 REDHILL left 3 minutes late, scheduled to arrive at BETCHWORTH at 17:52, arrived 3 minutes late. Total journey delay: 3 minutes.

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The latest piece of genius from Southern - a rejected 'Delay Repay' claim, which refutes itself in its own text (my bold text)! Not only was the first train 32 late, but it missed the hourly connection at Redhill - even their DR system is unreliable.
Hang on, so your train arrived at xx:49 and by Southern's logic you could have made the delayed xx:43 (which left at xx:46)? That's ridiculous - hope you sent off a counter-claim!

Deepgreen

Established Member
Hang on, so your train arrived at xx:49 and by Southern's logic you could have made the delayed xx:43 (which left at xx:46)? That's ridiculous - hope you sent off a counter-claim!

Exactly my point - they not only failed to recognise their train's 32 minute late arrival (enough for the second band of the DR process in itself), but chose to focus on the fact that my GWR onward connection was only three minutes late (while assuming I had been able to catch it!). I missed it, obviously, thereby increasing my delay to band 3 (1 hour or more). Repeat claim (with quotation from their reply included) already submitted.

RichardKing

On this RMT strike page link: http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/strike, underneath the heading 'Services not running between Brighton and stations to / from the East', Southern claim that they won't be running the 20:15 Newhaven Marine to Lewes...however, for obvious reasons, passengers wouldn't be on this service normally.

According to RTT (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L06731/2017/02/21/advanced), this train is not ECS until it reaches Lewes, but, in reality, it still doesn't pick up any passengers beforehand.

I appreciate that this is not entirely relevant to the subject of this thread, but the fact that it has been included in the strike page at all interests me.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Actually, the other way round - what I meant was; why the five minute change between Southern and Southern, or Southern and Thameslink, when they are identical to Thameslink to Thameslink and should all be 0 minutes?
I see what you mean. I was forgetting Southern to Southern would be same direction of course, just like Thameslink.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I see both Uckfield services and, Milton Keynes services are facing some cancellations due to lack of staff.

Have any of the Southern Twitter staff answered people's questions as to why this is occurring? I know during the overtime ban they would cut industrial relations.

There has to be a reason for today's issues. Is it driver sickness? Lot of colds about more generally.

Hophead

Established Member
School half-terms (this week or next dependent on area), so fewer takers for a bit of overtime?

bubieyehyeh

Exactly my point - they not only failed to recognise their train's 32 minute late arrival (enough for the second band of the DR process in itself), but chose to focus on the fact that my GWR onward connection was only three minutes late (while assuming I had been able to catch it!). I missed it, obviously, thereby increasing my delay to band 3 (1 hour or more). Repeat claim (with quotation from their reply included) already submitted.

One of my colleague had a very similar claim rejected with almost identical flawed logic in the last few days also.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've heard on Twitter that a driver told a passenger the reasons for the cancellation today was due to the roster department not allocating overtime to the drivers.

Samantha
@samF2904
@infobleep @SouthernRailUK according driver I spoke to at ECR, managers are rostering not using any OT, only on shift available.
https://twitter.com/SamF2904/status/832651276861050880

Surely it would be in GTR's interest to roster OT?

Also to give Southern's twitter staff credit, they did reply to my twitter asking why the cancellations but they didn't know why. I bet they would know the reason were overtime bans in place, although to be fair that would be public knowledge from ASLEF.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I've heard on Twitter that a driver told a passenger the reasons for the cancellation today was due to the roster department not allocating overtime to the drivers.

https://twitter.com/SamF2904/status/832651276861050880

Surely it would be in GTR's interest to roster OT?

Also to give Southern's twitter staff credit, they did reply to my twitter asking why the cancellations but they didn't know why. I bet they would know the reason were overtime bans in place, although to be fair that would be public knowledge from ASLEF.

Maybe the drivers didnt fancy any overtime?

It isnt compulsory to do overtime you know, a few times I have been practically begged to stay over but if I have something else planned its tough, I work to live, not live to work!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Maybe the drivers didnt fancy any overtime?

It isnt compulsory to do overtime you know, a few times I have been practically begged to stay over but if I have something else planned its tough, I work to live, not live to work!
Nothing wrong with that, if that is the case. I just like to keep an eye on things because GTR were quick to blame drivers in the past. Wouldn't want something that was cased by GTR to not escape publicity when the drivers kept getting it from GTR publicly.

On another point, can anyone explain why trains along the coast need to be shorter formed during the RMT strike?

Some services between Brighton and Seaford / Eastbourne / Hastings / Ashford and between Brighton and / Bognor Regis / Littlehampton / Portsmouth Harbour / Southampton Central will not operate (details below) and others will have fewer carriages than normal
http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/strike/

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Nothing wrong with that, if that is the case. I just like to keep an eye on things because GTR were quick to blame drivers in the past. Wouldn't want something that was cased by GTR to not escape publicity when the drivers kept getting it from GTR publicly.

On another point, can anyone explain why trains along the coast need to be shorter formed during the RMT strike?

I think that is because the trains that merge with them to create the longer services are not running

RichardKing

Ironically, Seaford/Lewes services on the day will be formed of a 4 car 377, as opposed to a 3 car 313, so passengers on these services will be treated to an extra coach (unless the planning team aren't feeling generous in this way and use 377/3s, although the comfy seating would make up for it!).

infobleep

Veteran Member
I think that is because the trains that merge with them to create the longer services are not running
In the past when there's been disruption, they have run 12 car trains to one destination. Could they not do that on Wednesday?

Thebaz

Me neither, but I'm not expecting them to. (I'm having quite a lot of trouble claiming delay repay with my Oyster season ticket as it is; they seem to reject every claim for spurious and incorrect reasons. The latest farce has run to 3 re-submissions so far). What I have done though on advice of Oyster staff is to email Oyster and ask them for a so-called "product history". You will need this to prove that you've been buying monthlies. I would advise your partner to do the same.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
In the past when there's been disruption, they have run 12 car trains to one destination. Could they not do that on Wednesday?

Only if they have the rolling stock and staff available to create the 12 car formations in the first place I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.