• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Information main land Spain tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Hi Guy

I`m looking for some information on Spain, I still need a few lines and havent been for a few years so decided to book a week in September flying into Madrid and basing myself there for a week. I`m not sure if to buy an Interrail for the country, or if they have other rover type tickets available. Also what are they like with rail photographers these days, you needed a permit at one stage back in the 80`s, are they more user friendly these days, will they let you around the depots with begging letters etc? Many thanks in advance guys.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Ive found the RENFE rail pass, which might be cheaper that EURAIL or Interrail because it has free reservations with it, Its a strange one though, not rover, but journey orientated, you can buy say 8 journeys, each journey is one way only, and it seems to be £310 for 8 journeys unless I`m using the website wrong?

John Hunt

Sorry I can't help more - I was told about this site by a good friend, I had a look at it and thought hmm, nice, an ex - BR guy behind it.
Since then I've recommended it to quite a few people who have all thanked me.

shredder1

Established Member
Thanks yes I do use the site and also have the books, the information is helpful, but limited, but thanks anyway, much appreciated.

Veteran Member
Ive found the RENFE rail pass, which might be cheaper that EURAIL or Interrail because it has free reservations with it, Its a strange one though, not rover, but journey orientated, you can buy say 8 journeys, each journey is one way only, and it seems to be £310 for 8 journeys unless I`m using the website wrong?
That's how it works. I imagine only worth it for long trips, but it seems to be more flexible than Interrail re bookings - remember that all trains bar locals are reservation only.
Depending which lines you need, you might find it difficult to cover them all from Madrid (or any one base).
I was there last September - no problems with photography, but access to long-distance platforms is sometimes difficult because of the security checks.

shredder1

Established Member
That's how it works. I imagine only worth it for long trips, but it seems to be more flexible than Interrail re bookings - remember that all trains bar locals are reservation only.
Depending which lines you need, you might find it difficult to cover them all from Madrid (or any one base).
I was there last September - no problems with photography, but access to long-distance platforms is sometimes difficult because of the security checks.

Thats great info thank you very much, to be honest I`m interested in the loct stuff really and any freight of course, plus the FEVE network, I guess its probably good to get say 8 journeys and pay as I go on the local routes, do the none high speed duplicate the high speed lines like Italy?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
do the none high speed duplicate the high speed lines like Italy?

The HSL (AV) routes tend to take much straighter routes than the often indirect classic network, where most through trains have been withdrawn or reduced to locals.
There are still quite a few dual-gauge services which use the AV routes out of Madrid but then run through a gauge changer and run onwards on the classic network.
Madrid-Santiago de Compostela still has the bi-mode AV service with diesel power cars in the formation for the unwired mountain section Zamora-Ourense.

There is a direct Cercanias (local) train from Barajas T4 to Chamartin/Atocha.
Sadly the cheapo airlines use the old T1 which is miles from T4 by transfer bus, but it does have a metro connection into the city.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Thats great info thank you very much, to be honest I`m interested in the loct stuff really and any freight of course, plus the FEVE network, I guess its probably good to get say 8 journeys and pay as I go on the local routes, do the none high speed duplicate the high speed lines like Italy?

Some rambles from my own experiences...

Be aware that using an Interrail pass on local lines such as the FEVE and Cercanias networks away from Madrid can range from being a minor faff to an absolute headache.

Stations are mostly gated and unstaffed so you end up having to climb under/over them and where they're staffed, staff will usually only issue a gate pass for one journey at a time. A lot of them don't seem to like Interrail passes at all. However once you're in, particularly on the network around Gijon/Oviedo/Bilbao, it's pretty easy to just potter around for a few hours. I recall in the case of Bilbao, the woman in the ticket office just gave me a pile of gate passes without prompting- she at least was on the ball!

The only network I can say that was easy to use was the Cercanias Madrid network. Staff were always on hand (and a LOT friendlier) to let me out, though there is a local ticket for Madrid that covers all Metro/Bus/Cercanias anyway.

In essence, I'd recommend a RENFE Pass to link up the cities then just use cheap local tickets in their environs. FEVE tickets are very cheap indeed, though journeys can be very slow and a little uncomfortable (particularly along the north coast).

High Speed lines don't generally replicate conventional routes, but if you fancy a taste of both, some AVE trains are dual gauge (and go through a gauge changing machine part way through the journey). This is the case with Madrid to Gijon and a couple of other north coast destinations.

Conventional routes however seem to be very poorly served with frequencies being more like 1-2 trains per day each way out in the sticks. They're also often VERY slow- Madrid to Valencia is possible with a regional service but it'll take you most of the day!

The only fully conventional route I've used is Malaga to Seville via Bobadilla. It's a very pretty run, too. You can then return on the "Avant" High Speed service via Cordoba.

As for photography, I've never had a problem and I'm sure that the previous rules about permits were lifted a few years back. The only network I've seen with a no-photography rule was the Seville Metro- though I got away with taking a few snaps as I pleased. However, be aware that in Madrid there is a massive push on preventing trespassing and security guards roam the network constantly. I was once chased because I was sauntering to the end of the platform to take a photo of the train I'd just arrived on- thankfully it was taken in good humour (and a chorus of "ohhhhhh") when I spun around and pointed my camera at the train :lol:

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've just seen this piece on the travails of the high speed extension to Oviedo and Gijon.
The 25km tunnels are complete but there have been long delays in agreeing the gauge and signalling specification, so it will be another couple of years before it opens.

The text and maps show a really complex line with standard/dual/broad gauge sections, and with two electrification and signalling systems.
There are problems in other parts of Spain too.
The AV network should have reached Burgos by now, and there are bits of the Andalusian network still half-built with no money to finish them.
But at least they started...

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I think I used RENFE en directo to book however I have not travelled on a Spanish long-distance train in years. The AVE is easily up there with the best high-speed trains in the world however away from AVE and the Cercanias of the larger cities services can be rather patchy.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I've just seen this piece on the travails of the high speed extension to Oviedo and Gijon.
The tunnelling is complete but there have been long delays in agreeing the gauge and signalling specification, so it will be another couple of years before it opens.

The AV network should have reached Burgos by now, and there are bits of the Andalusian network still half-built with no money to finish them.

I think it finally reached Granada last year after years of delays. Granada isn't a small town yet its rail services were cut off between the old and new lines!

shredder1

Established Member
Some rambles from my own experiences...

Be aware that using an Interrail pass on local lines such as the FEVE and Cercanias networks away from Madrid can range from being a minor faff to an absolute headache.

Stations are mostly gated and unstaffed so you end up having to climb under/over them and where they're staffed, staff will usually only issue a gate pass for one journey at a time. A lot of them don't seem to like Interrail passes at all. However once you're in, particularly on the network around Gijon/Oviedo/Bilbao, it's pretty easy to just potter around for a few hours. I recall in the case of Bilbao, the woman in the ticket office just gave me a pile of gate passes without prompting- she at least was on the ball!

The only network I can say that was easy to use was the Cercanias Madrid network. Staff were always on hand (and a LOT friendlier) to let me out, though there is a local ticket for Madrid that covers all Metro/Bus/Cercanias anyway.

In essence, I'd recommend a RENFE Pass to link up the cities then just use cheap local tickets in their environs. FEVE tickets are very cheap indeed, though journeys can be very slow and a little uncomfortable (particularly along the north coast).

High Speed lines don't generally replicate conventional routes, but if you fancy a taste of both, some AVE trains are dual gauge (and go through a gauge changing machine part way through the journey). This is the case with Madrid to Gijon and a couple of other north coast destinations.

Conventional routes however seem to be very poorly served with frequencies being more like 1-2 trains per day each way out in the sticks. They're also often VERY slow- Madrid to Valencia is possible with a regional service but it'll take you most of the day!

The only fully conventional route I've used is Malaga to Seville via Bobadilla. It's a very pretty run, too. You can then return on the "Avant" High Speed service via Cordoba.

As for photography, I've never had a problem and I'm sure that the previous rules about permits were lifted a few years back. The only network I've seen with a no-photography rule was the Seville Metro- though I got away with taking a few snaps as I pleased. However, be aware that in Madrid there is a massive push on preventing trespassing and security guards roam the network constantly. I was once chased because I was sauntering to the end of the platform to take a photo of the train I'd just arrived on- thankfully it was taken in good humour (and a chorus of "ohhhhhh") when I spun around and pointed my camera at the train :lol:

Thats really useful information thank you so much for that input, thank you.

shredder1

Established Member
The 25km tunnels are complete but there have been long delays in agreeing the gauge and signalling specification, so it will be another couple of years before it opens.

The text and maps show a really complex line with standard/dual/broad gauge sections, and with two electrification and signalling systems.

Thank you so much, that really is very helpful, thank you.

shredder1

Established Member
I think I used RENFE en directo to book however I have not travelled on a Spanish long-distance train in years. The AVE is easily up there with the best high-speed trains in the world however away from AVE and the Cercanias of the larger cities services can be rather patchy.

Thank you so much for that, you guys are all amazing, some really fantastic information there, a really big thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.