• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Injuries on the Northern line

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't use the tube much but when I do it is usually the Bank branch of the Northern Line.
Twice now I have been injured (bruises) caused by the opening passenger door hitting my arm. I have been standing in the boarding area because I am travelling with baggage and have been holding the handrail in the doorframe. Passengers seem to congregate in this area and not move down into the cartiage aisle.
Today I was standing with my back to the door and I momentarily moved backwards ro allow another passenger room to alight. The door hit my arm and the force of the rapidly opeimg door almost broke my wrist. The problem is that the recess which contains the window in the door caught my arm and forced it rapidly forward. I was holding the handrail built into the doorframe , but it is very difficult to move it out of the void when you have a heavy and rapidly moving door forcing your hand into the handrail.
This is a poor design feature and will break somebody's wrist or bones in their hand. The inner part of the door window should be flush with the door skin but at the moment it is recessed about an inch/3cm.
My hand is very sore and travelling on public transport should not lead to injuries to the public.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Have you reported these incidents to London Underground?

Daniel

Established Member
Certainly not something I've heard of happening before, to anyone else. I'm sure it'll be thoroughly investigated and you'll receive a response through the appropriate channels.

rebmcr

Established Member
The idea to make the internal window surfaces flush with the door panelling has merit — passengers are forever bracing sideways against them against the strong accelleration, and cutting out the traction interlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.